Request Help for FSX Graphics Snag

Thread: Request Help for FSX Graphics Snag

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar

Request Help for FSX Graphics Snag

I'm hoping someone can identify a problem I'm currently having with my graphics, and perhaps suggest a fix for this irritating problem.

Everything was peachy before I "dismantled" my FSX. When I put things back together again, everything seemed just as good as it was. But once airborne, a new problem arose.

Large areas of the scenery, outside an (apporiximately) two-mile radius would show as a Great White Void. Just like a blanket of snow, with maybe a few tree twigs sticking up through. This would be ahead, and to either side. Looks odd in the tropics!

But as I approach, the areas clarify into the proper scenery, while new Great White Voids are forming ahead of me.

I cannot think of what has changed -- nothing that I know of; no changed scenery, same vid card, et cetera -- no changes.

But obviously something's amiss!! Has anyone seen this before, and found a fix?

Cheers, and TIA
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

harleyman
    What do you mean by Dismanteled FSX?

It seems that some scenery files are out of place..

maybe doing a FSX repair option from the install disks can fix it ..

Do you have GEX or UTX or any other addons like that installed?

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Sorry I didn't get back to comment, Harleyman. But I was more than a bit frustrated by the simple fact that I couldn't easily articulate the problem any more than I already had: Any and all scenery beyond a radius of approx. two miles was blank, with vertical "hairs" jutting up out of the blank terrain.

Long story short, after much investigation and speculation, I ended-up doing a "Repair" to both FSX and to Acceleration. And that fixed the pea-pickin' problem 100%. Haven't a clue what specific file was amiss, though.

A possibly interesting point of detail, however: I have two "DVD drives", a "Reader" and a "Burner". Normally I use the reader for installing programs, and this last event was no exception. But I'd been noticing a few "glitches", of late.

I'm assuming that's what caused the problem -- the fritzy reader caused a corrupted mesh-type file, or something like that. So this time, I did the "Repair" jobs with the burner. And all is now well. QED, I suppose.

So I'll recognize that problem, should it ever arise again, and I'll know the workable course of action, to boot.

Hope this follow-up can help some poor besieged soul in future.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?