Is this hard drive bad, you decide ?

Thread: Is this hard drive bad, you decide ?

Retired SOH Administrator

Question Is this hard drive bad, you decide ?

Over the weekend I was playing around with two WD 150 Raptor drives. On my MB I have two Sata connection called High Speed Sata connections. Which by the way is a joke. Anyway I needed a extra Sata drive. The six I am using now are fine but I needed a 7th for a project I am working on. To change this dual Sata ya needed to go into the BIOS and do a few changes to make it a single Sata port, when ya do this you loose one Sata port...I don't know why but this is how it is on the Asus MB. Anyway I always do a full format using the program Wipe Disk. I noticed when trying to format this disk it would get to 1% and freeze. I also did a check disk in the program and it showed dirty clusters and would also freeze. So I decided to boot into Windows XP Pro and then hook up the disk to see it XP could do a check disk or format. It would start and then a message would come up and say an error. After I clicked on the error, the drive would no longer appear in My Computer or in the Computer Management area any more. The only way I could get it to show back up was to reboot and move it to another Sata port and the same thing would happen...lol. I then decided to download a couple of drive programs from WD and let there programs test the HD.Same thing would happen . There message would say unable to write zero's to the HD. When using another one of there programs it would also say an error happened and would also lock up. So I said what the heck, forget the formatting part let's see if I can just install an OS on the HD without formatting. Once it started to load the OS it would also get a message that an error occurred and install was unable to complete. I have a few other HD's laying around and just said what the heck and installed another and all went fine. Before throwing it away I'm gonna call WD to see if they have any input in this problem. I don't know what kind of warranty I have on this Raptor so I won't be loosing anything other than a phone call and wasting time. You guys think it is bad...Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Charter Member 2015
    I'm afraid it doesn't look good,Moe. Hopefully it's still in warranty.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Sure sounds like it Moe. If it won't install an OS on it to get things going !?.....sounds like a crook disc to me. I assume the jumper clip on the back of the drive is set right.

On the WD Raptor drives you don't need any jumpers.Yeah I also replaced the Sata cable in case you were wondering.The Raptor carries a five year warranty, I found to tickets from Newegg dated back to 06...lucky for me...will be calling them today to see what they wanna do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by demorier View Post
    Sure sounds like it Moe. If it won't install an OS on it to get things going !?.....sounds like a crook disc to me. I assume the jumper clip on the back of the drive is set right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Mike have you checked the WD site for firmware updates, I had a simular problem with a couple of Seagate 1 TB drives about a year ago, and after a quick firmware update everything was right as rain.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

SIX harddrives! Sheesh Moe. What are ya doin on that puter.

Update on the hard drive. After contacted WD, They also agreed the HD was bad and informed me it was still under a full replacement warranty. They gave me the choice of them replacing the HD for free or if I wanted they would do a upgrade to a larger HD being since this one was only a 150gig drive. I decided to do the upgrade. So for 61 dollars they shipped me a new 750gig hard drive . I felt for that price it was worth it...Mike

On Another Planet
    Ya my games hdd recently went bad and I sent in an rma form to WD, shipped them the hdd, and am now waiting for a new one to come in the mail. I used their diagnostic program and it came up with 180 bad sectors! It was also clicking a lot and nothing would install to it. It was a WD Caviar Black 640 Gb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

Gees, now all of us that 'guessed' right can get an IT job. Except that I don't want one.

This was the first WD drive I have had to go bad....I guess I am lucky. I decided a while back that the Windows computer is more of a toy for me. I have all my money and important documents on a Apple computer.

Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Update on the hard drive. After contacted WD, They also agreed the HD was bad and informed me it was still under a full replacement warranty. They gave me the choice of them replacing the HD for free or if I wanted they would do a upgrade to a larger HD being since this one was only a 150gig drive. I decided to do the upgrade. So for 61 dollars they shipped me a new 750gig hard drive . I felt for that price it was worth it...Mike
    Now that is a nice happy ending, I like to hear about customer service done properly, hats off to WD, they did not give you a hassle and offered a reasonable option for you to go with a newer and larger drive. I wish more large companies would understand it really is in their best interest to do everything possible to resolve customer issues not only does doing the right thing for the customer keep that customer buying, happy customers talk (189 reads on this one thread) and UNhappy customers really TALK!
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!