Digital Aviation Do-27 native or port?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Aviation Do-27 native or port?

Digital Aviation Do-27 native or port?

I've been eyeballing DA Dornier Do-27 from Flight1 site and seems like it has really realistic systems simulation which I would be very interested of. I'm just wondering if it is native FSX or a port over?

And if someone has it, how are the frames?

Port, rather bad port, SP1 ok, SP2 not, much cockpitglass to hide behind clouds.
    Frames are on my system 4-5 beneath your Turboporter, which I really prefer!

Cheers, Thilo

I loved this plane in FS9, don't recommend it for FSX for the reasons given above.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Okay thanks guys, I guess I'll skip it then. Shame, it looks awesome in the shots. Nowhere in their site F1 mentions it's not native, one could easily get fooled to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    Okay thanks guys, I guess I'll skip it then. Shame, it looks awesome in the shots. Nowhere in their site F1 mentions it's not native, one could easily get fooled to buy it.
    Pekka I'm assuming from this statement you know longer have FS9 installed. If however you do reinstall it (a lot of folks run it alongside FSX) then the Do-27 is a must have aircraft. It easily sits within my top ten aircraft, in either sim, and has done so since it was first released.

I don't fly it in FSX, simply because I get better framerates in FS9. However if I had a better machine I would. Check out this video of the Do-27 in FSX. If this doesn't persaude you nothing will.

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3z5opf-MsU8&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3z5opf-MsU8&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

t has terrible frames in FSX too bad because it's gorgeous plane..
    Anneke

Video was awesome. Really gorgeous aircraft with rugged feel to it. Loved the vibrating airframe effect. I don't have FS9 so that is not an option, but after seeing that video I really have to reconsider the FSX version. Although I've had a policy to never buy ports again (did it only once before). Dang these decisions...

Oli-TUB
    I can only advise you to not buy the Do-27 for FSX. It's a masterpiece in FS9 but it simply doesn't feel at home in FSX ...
    • Severe fps-issues -> Much worse framerate than in the A2A Cub or PMDG J41. Pretty much unflyably bad if you don't have a monster rig to compensate for the bad port.
    • Bad-port-issues -> The Do-27 has issues with props and windows. The usual FS9-port-stuff.
    • Bugs -> The Do-27 has some bugs like texture flickering in the VC. The speedcard flickers like mad when the view moves for example.
    • Lack of FSX-Features -> On the visual side alone the Do-27 is outdated. No bump-maps, not spec-maps. And the model is not even compiled for FSX still sporting the MDL8MDLH-string.
    • Lack of support -> a patch for the VC-texture-flickering was promised over a year ago but never came. According to the devs the patch was ready and only needed final testing. It never saw the light of day. And since the main dev of the Do-27 has gone for good support for the Do-27 was officially terminated.
    • Overpriced -> The Do-27 is priced as the A2A Cub + AccuSim and that doesn't make it a very good purchase.
    In short the Do-27 would get you an aged addon, that was badly ported into FSX, has severe framerate-issues and bugs with no support at all.

I bought the Do-27 long ago as one of my first addons for FSX and never flew her much. She looks nice on paper and on screenshots. But she never was much fun to fly. And now that there are masterpieces like the A2A Cub or the Lotus L-39 the Do-27 looks and feels even more outdated. If there is a sale some day and you can get her for 10 bucks it might be ok. But as it stands now one can only warn you.

I made the mistake of buying the upgrade to X too. Wasted money. It's not even really ported, for my feelings.

It was the best FS9er around by far despite a few horrible accuracy failures on the model. I am surprised no ever seemed to notice them, but to me they were "sore thumbs" and then some.

There was no way it was going to be a painter's model in X - not without bumps and specular. Such a real shame and a great loss to the community that the original developer seems to have given up the ghost with FSX.
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

That settles it then. I'll spend my hard earned money on something else. It is very pricey considering it's bugged port without support. Thanks for the H/U on that.

Oli-TUB
    Unfortunately the one man that mainly developed the Do-27 is no longer in the flightsim dev business. It might be a Digital Aviation plane but the other members of that team can't do anything about the issues because they don't own/have the sources. And the situation is not goeing to change - the head of the team even posted that in an official statement.

It's really sad since the Do was such a nice addon. On the other hands time has moved on and teams like A2A have raised the bar past the Do anyway. Not sure what money you have to spend or what you're looking for but the Cub and/or Jug from A2A are really good. Or the PMDG J41 if turboprop is your thing.

I'd be very careful with Digital Aviation in general in respect to their FSX addons. Their FS9-work is really really good. However they have yet to do a proper FSX addon. The Katana is a bad port as is the Do. The Fokker is also a bad port and one without VC more than a year after it's initial release. Again promises were made and none kept. The best they got was the Piper Cheyenne. And even that suffers from bugs many years after it's initial release and several service packs. And it also lacks bump mapping.

Great addons for FS9 but very dodgy ones for FSX - all of em.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    That settles it then. I'll spend my hard earned money on something else. It is very pricey considering it's bugged port without support. Thanks for the H/U on that.
    If you don't already have it, might I suggest the Bush Hawk XP, from Aerosoft. This model is definitely FSX native.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Yep Bush Hawk looks like a solid piece of work, although it does not have that same kind of old and worn appeal Dornier has.

Thy this paint then...

P.S. It may not be an old plane like a Beaver or DO27, but it has the character. Oh, of course I have to say that - I did all thirty paints for her... :lol:
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

Didn't quite escape.
    Don't get Chris started on Bush Hawk paints!!!

Too late Ian.... hahahahahahahahahahaha

Wow! Now that looks better:ernae:. There's even some one's brains on the floor.

Hunter's aeroplane up in the wilds of Canada / Alaska - what would one expect?

but also a terrible frame hog....
    Anneke

Didn't quite escape.
    When I first installed the Bush Hawk, it was utterly and totally unflyable. I was getting about 3FPS - 4 if I turned Autogen and clouds off completely.

I swapped it down to the lower resolution model and textures and now I get similar frame rates to the other complex packages I have. It became perfectly flyable. I'd recommend it, but with a health warning to those with lower spec computers.

Oli-TUB
    Do you already own the A2A Cub? If not there is no discussion about what the best addon might be. The Cub has it all ... relative depth (given the simplicity of the Cub), solid framerates, versatility (floats, tundra, skis etc) and great modelling and texturing. And filth ...

If you don't already have the Cub the question is why not??? And if you already have her the question is why are you looking for something else? Why do you want the second best? Get the current king of little bush flyers. Simple as that ...

Okay guys, now I'm confused LOL. Wonder if my moderate PC can run it....

Oli-TUB
    The A2A Cub? I'd say yes since I fly her on a very modest machine without many problems. What other addons do you fly? Maybe I know a few and give you a comparison. In any way the Cub is way better than the BushHawk and the Do-27.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli-TUB View Post
    Do you already own the A2A Cub?
    I don't have it. Performance wise it's probably not what I'm looking for, but Super Cub would do the trick for me.

Oli-TUB
    Well the Cub is a very slow mover, that's true. But on the other hand you can go and land practically anywhere. And it does everything so well including spins, proper stalls etc etc. And if you don't wanna fly her you can paddle the float-Cub around. ;-)

Before I forget. A very nice and really fps-friendly package can be found in the Flight1/RealAir ACA package. Besides the bush flying Scout it also includes the powerful Dece. The model and textures are not on par with the Cub though.

Members who have read this thread: 1