New England Tour(s)

Thread: New England Tour(s)

New England Tour(s)

After I made my BC Tour a while back a few of you asked for a New England Tour, since then I have been busy with the beta testing for the A2A Cub and completing my Italian Tour so I have only just had a chance to look at New England.

I was a bit overwhelmed when I first looked at all the airports in New England as there are 460 of them! How was I supposed to make an interesting tour out of all that lot! It has taken me two FULL days to come up with an answer (it's a good job I am stuck at home 24/7 ) and hopefully it will keep everyone happy.

I decided there were just too many airports to make a single tour as most people (me included) would get bored before they were halfway though it, so I split it up into THREE tours!

They are.......

New England Airports Tour - 102 legs
    This is designed to be flown in larger GA aircraft, Warbirds and smaller commercial aircraft (heck you could even use tubes if you wanted but the legs are a bit short for those IMHO). All airports have asphalt/concrete runways in excess of 3,000 ft.

New England Airfields Tour - 280 legs
    This is designed to be flown in smaller GA aircraft and Warbirds and would really suit STOL aircraft (Cub/Kodiak/Maule/Beaver pilots take note!) All airfields have either grass or gravel strips or asphalt/concrete runways of less than 3,000 ft.

New England Waterports Tour - 78 legs
    This is designed to be flown in floaters or amphibians (Cub/Kodiak/Beaver/Catalina etc.). All airports have water runways.

The flight plans are attached in a zip file. Follow the instructions below to load a specific flight plan:
    1. Download the attached zip file and save it to a safe location on your computer, then unpack it.

2. Move the three 'xxx.PLN' files to the same location that FSX uses when you save a flight plan (in XP that would be 'C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files' ....in Vista it is apparently 'C:\Your Name\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files').

3. Start FSX, go to the 'Free Flight' screen then select your initial aircraft, the time and season and your weather preferences (I use REX2 real weather to add some variety during the tour).

4. When you have the above set click on the 'Flight Planner' button then click on the 'Load' button at the bottom of the screen. Navigate to the New England Tour of choice (airports, airfields or waterports) and double-click it.

5. Click on the 'Find Route' button and you should see the start and finish airports but no waypoints yet.

6. Click on the 'Load' button on this window and reload the SAME FLIGHT PLAN as before. You should now see the entire flight plan with all the waypoints showing.

7. Click on 'OK' and then click on 'YES' on the notification pop-up window.

8. Click on 'Fly Now' when you are ready to start the tour.

9. When you reach a point where you want to stop for that session simply save your flight with a suitable name and it will also save the flight plan at your current location. When you want to continue the tour simply reload the saved flight using the 'Load' button on the 'Free Flight' screen and the GPS will already have the flight plan in it and will show the next leg to fly.
    Hopefully a few of you will give them a try and maybe even leave feedback as to what you think of the tour(s).
    Larry

harleyman
    Yea Baby....Thanks Larry

Hope you enjoy it Mason I know you were one of the guys who asked for it.

I managed to get 5 or 6 legs in tonight on the 'airports' tour and I can tell you some of them are hard to get into and out of if you pick the wrong aircraft! 3,000 feet sounds a lot until you try and land a commuter plane there and come in a bit hot! I had to 'borrow' a bit of grass at the end of the runway a couple of times. :isadizzy:
    Larry

Thanks again, Larry

I am still flying the UK list.I hope to get to this tour and your BC one day.

best

nio

Nice one.

Can you say list of tours you have done before. This is first time I have check this.

Maybe I'll do Finnish tour, if you want

Quote Originally Posted by anatolpopov View Post
    Nice one.
    Thanks.

Can you say list of tours you have done before. This is first time I have check this.
    Here ya go....

UK Tour
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=12582

British Columbia (Canada) Tour
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=16805

Italian Tour
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=22858

Maybe I'll do Finnish tour, if you want
    I had been thinking of doing a Scandinavian tour at one point covering Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark but feel free if you want to do a Finnish one. The more the better IMHO.
    Larry

Nice one Larry. I am still working my way through the UK tour, but I just had to do the first hop of the Italy tour.
    Some of the Scenery in Italy and Canada is just spectaular. thanks for these tours, I love having a structure to my flying so if you are planning any more of these they will be much appreciated.
    once agin, Thanks mate excellent work :ernae:

SD

Quote Originally Posted by the soupdragon View Post
    Nice one Larry.
    Thanks SD.

I am still working my way through the UK tour, but I just had to do the first hop of the Italy tour.
    Some of the Scenery in Italy and Canada is just spectaular.
    It certainly is. Unfortunately I live a 3-4 day drive from all the nice bits of Canada if you head west and 1-2 days if you head east! Around here it is literally as flat as a billiard table and makes the Cheshire Plain or Norfolk back in the UK look positively mountainous!

thanks for these tours, I love having a structure to my flying so if you are planning any more of these they will be much appreciated.
    No doubt I will be doing more in the future, there is a whole world out there I haven't flown in yet.

Don't forget that you can get 'rewards' for completing countries/regions in FSX. Check out this page for info/downloads.....

http://www.fs-shipyards.org/index.ph...n_view&idev=26

A word of warning however, you must come to a complete stop at an airport in order for it to register for the reward (it can be anywhere within the airport boundaries). I did a few 'touch and go' landings in my BC tour and as a result I did not get a reward for that region.
    Larry

Don't forget that you can get 'rewards' for completing countries/regions in FSX. Check out this page for info/downloads.....

http://www.fs-shipyards.org/index.ph...n_view&idev=26

A word of warning however, you must come to a complete stop at an airport in order for it to register for the reward (it can be anywhere within the airport boundaries). I did a few 'touch and go' landings in my BC tour and as a result I did not get a reward for that region. [/QUOTE]

Great link thanks!

Hi Folks

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    A word of warning however,
    you must come to a complete stop at an airport
    in order for it to register for the reward
    (it can be anywhere within the airport boundaries).
    I did a few 'touch and go' landings in my BC tour
    and as a result I did not get a reward for that region.
    Larry -
    You don't need to refly your tour,
    just revisit those not logged.

From the install notes -
    Logbook Viewer
    ==============
    You can check which airports you've successfully landed at
    using Jean-Christophe Arnulfo's excellent - FSX Logbook Viewer (fsxlogbook 1.00D)
    Download from AVSIM -
    http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php...il&DLID=119627
    Download Jean-Christophe's tool
    and check for your missing ICAO(s)
    against your tour list ICAOs.

Then whilst flying a chopper
    use FSX's Go To Airport,
    and take off & land from that airport.

Voila. :ernae:

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Thanks for those tips and the download info Paul. By comparing that logbook to my FSX plug-in for Google Earth I was able to find six airfields I must have done T and G's at. Consequently I was able to get my BC reward.

That logbook is also interesting in the way it shows just how many hours you have in each aircraft. It seems I have three or four favourites in my hangar as they have way more hours than anything else.
    Larry

I was just flying some legs in my airfields tour and came across a strange anomaly at one of the airfields (44B) which may also cause problems for those doing the waterports tour too. :isadizzy:

Check this link for more info..........

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=26664
    Larry

It would appear that the attachments were lost when the new forum software was introduced so I am re-attaching them here.

Enjoy.
    Larry

Hi Folks

Rewards URL is now -
    FS-Shipyards - Rewards - Visit Series - Countries

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Looks like the attachments disappeared again so I'm putting them back (again!)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Looks like the attachments disappeared again so I'm putting them back (again!)
    Thank you so much for that - I'd be really grateful if you could possibly do likewise for your UK and BC tours when you have a moment? Now I have some nice scenery I'm keen to try them but I've searched the SOH library without success...

They were never uploaded to the library unfortunately but that may have been a better place for them. They are just attachments to forum posts and sometimes they get wiped out during forum software upgrades. I never anticipated how popular they would become as I just did them for my enjoyment and then decided to share them but maybe I should add them to the library at some point.

The have all been re-attached now so you should be able to find them again.
    Larry

That is so kind - brilliant, thank you