Have ya ever played with a BIOS virus ?

Thread: Have ya ever played with a BIOS virus ?

Retired SOH Administrator

Have ya ever played with a BIOS virus ?

Linda has a huge habit of surfing and clicking what ever she sees. Doesn't read nuthin. This also includes...yes her email. I have spent the last three days pulling my hair out try to get this worm out of the motherboard.What a F__king nightmare. I think next time I'll just buy a mother board.This thing not only screwed up the HD but also kept messing up the settings on the MB. What I finally ended up doing was downloading the first BIOS on my computer and burning it to floppy. Removing the battery on the MB and resetting the CMOS. I also formatted the HD's before doing any of this. After installing the original BIOS,I ended up installing each one up the the newest one. Then used wipe disk again. One it verified writing zeros to the HD. I installed XP and the Vista. I formatted over 20 times and wipe the disk out out don't know how many times before it would finally go through with a install...at first I thought I had a hardware failure, after replacing the video card,ram, removing all the drives I still had a problem. Thank goodness I had spare parts. It would have been a pisser to have to go and buy the parts just to tested out things. One of the biggest problems I was having before I realized what was going on was it wouldn't let me update windows, even is safe mode. I was usable to install anything much less run a scan, no matter what I did it kept doing the BSOD...lol.On top of all of this you couldn't reboot nor shut down. The only way I could shut this down was to pull the plug. If ya tried to shut it down it would get to the part of saving the settings and then boom...ya got the BSOD.If ya tried to surf ya got major pop ups, then BSOD. If ya tried to open up a program...ya got a bunch of scrambled icons the BSOD...this was so much fun. After getting everything back to normal I told her to go back and start clicking again...cus if she does she gonna wake up with dat mouse shoved up her ain't-tis:costumes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Charter Member 09
    Was it called "Windows Antivirus 2009"? I got it in all four computers. It followed me around like a proverbial sheepdog. So far I got two cleaned out. I have all kinds of anti-viuses and firewalls but it still got in. I'm also careful what I touch but sometimes my shaky hand gets me into trouble.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.