Dash 7
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dash 7

Dash 7

Anyone know if Milton's Dash 7 originally had any frame rate or stuttering issues? I had not flown her in quite a long while and don't know if this is a new behavior or if it was just something I never fixed in the latest version. Very nice aircraft so I would like to get her running smoothly :ernae:

Thanks,
    LouP

The latest, updated version runs quite well on my outdated machine. It's not completely transparent like some of the simpler a/c but it's generally quite easy on the frame rate, nothing to sweat.

Didn't have any issues with this bird - runs smooth and gentle.
    My only prob with the Dash7 is that all appropriate repaints are already done...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Bill;
    I don't think this repaint was ever done for Milton's Dash 7

From the Canadian Forces Website:
    "Only two Dash 7s were ever carried on strength with the Canadian Forces for use in Europe from 1979 until they were struck off strength on 9 August, 1985 (132002) and 8 April, 1987 (132001), both having been sold back to de Havilland. '001 had a "Low Density Seating Installation" while '002 had a passenger/cargo configuration and both were flown by 412 Transport Squadron Detachment Lahr where this Aircraft has been photographed overflying the base area."

So Wild Bill, is there a Dash-7 RCAF repaint in the works?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That repaint would be nice, I have no frame rate issues with the Dash7 either, fantastic piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Anyone know if Milton's Dash 7 originally had any frame rate or stuttering issues? I had not flown her in quite a long while and don't know if this is a new behavior or if it was just something I never fixed in the latest version. Very nice aircraft so I would like to get her running smoothly :ernae:

Thanks,
    LouP
    Lou,

Is your Dash 7 aircraft folder named dash7v2a, the latest version?

If not sure, you can download this and it includes all updates:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/downloads/d7vcmdla.zip

Do you have the same issue with all paint schemes? Please check if more than one.

Also, try to alias the panel to another aircraft to see if that makes a difference.

Is your problem just on the exterior Spot view, or in the VC?

Does it happen in the 2D panel view mode?

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Just to confirm what the others were saying; I was flying it just last week, no problems at all. Lovely model.
    LPXO

Quote Originally Posted by RL_201 View Post
    So Wild Bill, is there a Dash-7 RCAF repaint in the works?
    Well, as far as I can see, Joao Paz already did a repaint on the FS2002 model for #132002.
    Now that my RF-84F Thunderflash has left the building, there should be some place in the paintshed...

Maple Leaf time again!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the issue he's talking about may be a gauge issue. I had to revert back to the no-VC version myself. Once the plane is loaded up, the entire landscape seems to reload every five seconds or so. I've had the same issue with other planes too. I never could figure out the root cause, but I did try converting the textures and that didn't help. The only thing that fixed the problem was restarting the Sim and not selecting that plane.

It's not really a big deal for me though, since a good VC is just eye candy for me. I fly from the 2D and land from the 2D minipanel. When I'm at altitude, I spen as much time in Chase view as I do inside, mostly because I like to see the scenery.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hey Tom,

Thank you, you seem to hit the nail right on the head. I was starting to think I was going nuts as nobody else seemed to have the issue before you (well maybe I am a little nuts ). Strange thing is that this also happened to me with some other turbo props but I don't remember it being an issue with the Dash 7 before. I could be wrong about that and the issue may have always been there because I have not flown her in a while. The strange thing is that the aircraft that this problem shows up on are not at all that complex. Sure wish I could find the offending gauge.

Hey Milton,

I do have the latest version and once this "skipping" starts, it doesn't matter if I am in VC, 2d, or external view. As Tom says, I need to restart to get rid of it. I was flying a repaint of Asian Spirit in the Phillipines last night when it happened so I landed, used DXT.bmp to make sure all the textures were DXT3 and reloaded the aircraft and took off but the problem was still there. Also, I noticed that the issue became worse the moment I started moving on the tarmac. When I stopped, the frames seemd to bounce back up again until I sterted to move. . To bad, because I struggled the whole trip with this problem as besides this issue I am having, the aircraft is beautiful. I took a look at my landing from the tower and to see that four engine machine turning on final was a wonderful site to see.

LouP

I've looked and haven't found this one yet either.........

http://airtindi.com/
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-T...fd68b69c29c264

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

LouP,

Okay, so you have the latest released version. But, do you have the 2 updates?

If not and if you just want to download the updates, then:
    http://www.flightsimonline.com/downl..._update_av.zip

... otherwise, download the full package with all updates applied from the link I posted earlier.

I am not seeing the problem here so I cannot troubleshoot it.

So, I urge you not to give up if you want it resolved. That means, first, let's ensure we are in-synch on versions and updates.

The updates replace some FS98 gauges that may be causing the issue.

If you continue to have the issue, I will tell you how to easily isolate the issue, then identify it.

If you are not interested in pursuing this, that is okay too.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

If nobody else is interested, I'm in. I'll get the full package and install from scratch, then see if I get the same results as before. If so, I'll try activating FSUIPC logging and see what pops up there.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks Tom

EDIT: I just completed a 1 hour flight in FS9, all sliders maxed in heavy detailed 3D clouds, using all views, plus windows and full screen, sounds on full, lights, and exercised FSnav and the embedded RWY program. I could not get it to fail me and fps stayed maxed.

Hopefully the fully updated mods release will correct your issues.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, I don't know what's different between then and now, but she's virtually flawless now! The only thing I found was when I pull my throttle all the way back with the condition (mix) levers set to full, the plane actually creeps backwards.The parking brake is more than enough to hold it, and pulling the condition levers back to one half cures the creeping too. My baby is back!!!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    I've looked and haven't found this one yet either.........

http://airtindi.com/
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-T...fd68b69c29c264

Yep could use a Tindi Dash 7 for sure. Gonna have to book a flight on the Dash 7, never been on one in my life.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Lou were you flying from RPLL, Manila Intl, if so which scenery did you use

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Milton, I don't know what's different between then and now, but she's virtually flawless now! The only thing I found was when I pull my throttle all the way back with the condition (mix) levers set to full, the plane actually creeps backwards.The parking brake is more than enough to hold it, and pulling the condition levers back to one half cures the creeping too. My baby is back!!!
    Tom,

That's great to hear. I feel certain it was the FS98 gauges causing the issue.

On the rearward creep, if you change this to a +1, that should take care of it.

minimum_on_ground_beta=-1.00

Thanks a bunch. Maybe this will correct LouP's problem as well.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

OK, I'll give the update a try too but I just uninstalled the default FS9 GPS and insdtalled a Reality XP 530 and guess what, she flew great. I too will look for the updates now. Sorry for not responding but I was testing things out.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Yep could use a Tindi Dash 7 for sure. Gonna have to book a flight on the Dash 7, never been on one in my life.

I used to fly the Dash 7 often out of the BWI area. She is the sweetest bird I have EVER flown in. Amazingly quiet, powerful, and agile.

Greenland Air did a wonderful video of this bird through three stops ... just awesome as the co-pilot talks you through all the steps of the flight sequences.

EDIT: I just found that video ... 426MB. Unfortunately, Air Greenland no longer has it on their site, that I can find anyhow.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    OK, I'll give the update a try too but I just uninstalled the default FS9 GPS and insdtalled a Reality XP 530 and guess what, she flew great. I too will look for the updates now. Sorry for not responding but I was testing things out.

LouP
    Great LouP. Thanks for raising the issue otherwise the problem would have deterred others from enjoying the Dash 7.

And once again, if anyone needs the fully updated latest version, here is a direct link to it on my website:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/downloads/d7vcmdla.zip
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

OK - here's something strange. I added one of Garry's TVA paints, started up the Sim, selected that plane, and the flashing was back. I shut down the Sim and restarted, this time selecting the Greenland Air like before, and the flashing was still there. I restarted the whole PC, started the Sim, selected the TVA paint, and no flashing! The only thing I can figure was the other apps that were running - OE, IE7, and I think I also had FSScreen running. I'll try to play some more tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you want to add paints for the old no-VC model, just make a copy of one of the new paint folders, then paste in all the bitmaps from the old paint, overwriting the newer ones. What you'll have then is all the old textures, along with the new interior files for the VC and cabin. Rename the folder and add the fltsim section to the cfg like normal.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Tom,

The only thing I can say regarding flashing is to ensure that all the textures are there, and that all formats calling for alpha channels actually have an alpha channel. i.e DXT3 and 32-bit bmps. If you open these in Imagetool, you can see immediately whether the alpha channel is present.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

OK, I put in the update and it's even better. Frame rates are up higher and there is no stuttering at all, awesome. Now she flies as well as all of your other aircraft, Milton. Thank you!

Tom,

Try striking out the FS9 GPS500 gauge and see if there is any improvement. I don't know why but every time I get rid of that default GPS, my performance improves. The wierd thing is that most people complain of performance going down when they substitute the RXP530 in there.

Milton,

Would you mind sharing what gauge was causing the problem? It may help me with some similar issues in other aircraft. And thanks again.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    I've looked and haven't found this one yet either......http://airtindi.com/
    Looks good too!
    A 'classic clean' livery with no unnecessary bells and whistles - I like it!
    And I'm particulary delighted with the idea of hauling some cargo way up north with it.

@ Milton:
    Is there any chance to get "neutral white" or even layered textures?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]