F-100 Super Sabre flying tips..?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-100 Super Sabre flying tips..?

F-100 Super Sabre flying tips..?

So, I’m watching the “Great Planes” marathon on the Military channel. On now, the F-100 Super Sabre. The host is asking questions of a former F-100 pilot, who says this: “In the pattern, you never moved the stick, you held the stick rock-steady. You used the rudders to maneuver the plane in the pattern.” What?? I’ve never heard of such a crazy thing. Could that be true?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    There was some WIP pics of an F-100 “under construction” by somebody here. They need to see this. When it comes out I’m going to try to fly around the pattern using only the rudders!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Amen! Bring on a Hun for FSX!

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    So, I’m watching the “Great Planes” marathon on the Military channel. On now, the F-100 Super Sabre. The host is asking questions of a former F-100 pilot, who says this: “In the pattern, you never moved the stick, you held the stick rock-steady. You used the rudders to maneuver the plane in the pattern.” What?? I’ve never heard of such a crazy thing. Could that be true?
    <o></o>
    There was some WIP pics of an F-100 “under construction” by somebody here. They need to see this. When it comes out I’m going to try to fly around the pattern using only the rudders!
    Sort of goes against more modern fighters...you don't touch the rudder. You keep your feet planted flat on the floor. Most rudder input is prohibited once you're flying.

-G-

<o></o>
    Probably because it had a tendency to roll easily.

I believe the Phantom was also flown with a lot of pedal input, probably something to do with secondary effects of controls and the early swept wing jets?

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    I believe the Phantom was also flown with a lot of pedal input, probably something to do with secondary effects of controls and the early swept wing jets?

Yup, same reason as the Hun, although for the F-4 they just put the dihedral in.

tigisfat
    I find that hard to believe. There are many pilots and maintainers who are not only full of it, they forget what they're talking about over the years and start telling the legend. It may be true, but it's unlikely. If I tried to could count the number of myths I've heard about B-1s, It'd take years.

I once watched a TV special where a B-52 pilot was being interviewed. He told the cameraman that long sorties in an ACES II ejection seat were like sitting on a 2X4 for 12 hours. I don't know where or why he came up with that one. I sit on an ejection seat every day, and it's nothing like sitting on a 2X4.

From time to time I fly an Aeronca Champ, and I fly it primarily with rudders. I start it leaning over wth the pedals and then I coordinate my turns with the stick. The Champ also has very low wing loading, and the F-100 has extremely high wing loading. High AOA and wing loading in the pattern would always mean that yaw inputs could equal snap-roll like phenomena; the same reason that many modern military jets discourage the use of anything but correcting rudder.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    My instructer did a whole circuit in a C172 with only rudder and trim as a demo. I was also amazed, but it's true. I'm not sure about all aircraft, but it should be.
    One of my friends said that his mate did the same to prove to his wife that it can be done. He flew from Germany to the UK. She just refused to let him land that way!

Ben

My Uncle owned a Mooney 201 and I remember him telling me that on long flights he would make course corrections with rudder only. Not being a real life pilot I thought that sounded odd but I guess not after reading some replies here.

Moses

With the right amount of skill, you can fly a plane with many unusual control and power inputs. However, using only rudder input to turn a swept wing jet brings you that much closer to an unhappy ending...especially in the pattern. From what I've heard about F-100's and F-4's, it takes very little stick input to initiate a turn. Maybe the person who sandbagged the ride in this story didn't see the stick move much, because the stick didn't need to move much.

Lightbulb

Well here is an idea. :iidea:

Start up FSX and have a go and see how possible it is via a Flight Sim.

Ben

Lightbulb

I believe the F-100 WiP pictures were either by AlphaSim or Michael Davies.....

I could be wrong though...

Slug Flyer
    Mr. Davies is now developing his F-100 for the RAZBAM label.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBenn21 View Post
    Well here is an idea. :iidea:

Start up FSX and have a go and see how possible it is via a Flight Sim.

Ben
    Ok, I tried it with the Alphasim F-11 Tiger. It’s the closest thing I have in FSX to an F-100. It worked! And it was kind of fun and challenging. I felt like that DC-10 pilot who had to land without hydraulics in Sioux City Iowa some time ago! I had to use the stick for pitch control, but I never touched the ailerons. I don’t know why I would want to do such a thing as a matter of normal procedures. It’s much easier to land the plane if you can use the ailerons! I’ve heard of using only the rudders (or only ailerons) to make small course corrections on long flights, but this pilot made it sound like he landed this way "normally." Not sure what it prooves, in any case. I think the real planes are a bit harder to land than the ones in FSX...
    HP Reverb G2

I don’t know why I would want to do such a thing as a matter of normal procedures.
    You wouldn't, so good thinking.

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    With the right amount of skill, you can fly a plane with many unusual control and power inputs.
    Exactly.

Maybe the person who sandbagged the ride in this story didn't see the stick move much, because the stick didn't need to move much.

That sounds a lot more likely.

tigisfat
    re: rudder corrections on long flights;

That's been my technique since I started flying instruments. I'm sure there are aircraft out there that you can't or shouldn't do this in, but it works just fine when only one or two degree corrections are needed. I usually use the rudder to make one or two degree corrections, then I keep the turn indicator zeroed out with rudders. I'm a big fan of power/trim instrument flying. I'm sure it gets harder when you're talking about large aircraft that have a wide range of weights they fly at.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Flyer View Post
    Mr. Davies is now developing his F-100 for the RAZBAM label.
    That's gratifying to know, especially if I live to see the release. Over the past few years, from time to time threads are started asking what aircraft folks would like to see developed. My answer has always been and will continue to be the F-100 Super Saber. The ONLY century aircraft almost totally ignored and every time I suggest that aircraft, it's as though I'm speaking a foreign language as the post is never mentioned and basically ignored, never to be mentioned again. I hope this aircraft gets the attention it so richly deserves.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

... Maybe the person who sandbagged the ride in this story didn't see the stick move much, because the stick didn't need to move much.
    Well, the person who said all this about the rudders was the pilot. At least there was no question that the "Great Planes" production people told us he was a pilot. 200 combat missions over Vietnam, pulling 6.5 Gs after dropping bombs, using peripheral vision to aim the refueling probe, mounted on the right wing, into the tanker. He said he lands it "just like my Super Decathalon". So, unless the Great Planes people have been had, I would have to say he was the pilot.

It's possible he meant using the rudder for small corrections on final, but even that really makes no sense (to me anyway) if you have a perfectly good control stick. But he did say "in the landing pattern", which implies to me the square shaped pattern over the airport. It's interesting to me that this doesn't make any sense to the pilots here either. I'll bet he was refering to some querk of the F-100, and did it poorly. I wish we had an F-100 pilot here.
    HP Reverb G2

Having a lot of time in swept wing jets.... This seems a bit unlikely, however before high lift augmentation became really effective in more modern aircraft, some of these planes flew approach at pretty high angles of attack, in which area rough handling of the ailerons can cause serious issues! Many modern swept wing incorporate spoilers to assist in roll authority which avoids this issue somewhat. Tactical types are known for rudder induced roll coupling.

Probably an issue of not slamming the stick around, a sin of which most of the fighter jocks I have flown with are guilty of.

Cheers: t

dhazelgrove
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    "When she buffets, use your boots!"

Dave

Charter Member 2015
    Rudder?...what's that?

Bank an' Yank FTW
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Well, the person who said all this about the rudders was the pilot. At least there was no question that the "Great Planes" production people told us he was a pilot. 200 combat missions over Vietnam, pulling 6.5 Gs after dropping bombs, using peripheral vision to aim the refueling probe, mounted on the right wing, into the tanker. He said he lands it "just like my Super Decathalon". So, unless the Great Planes people have been had, I would have to say he was the pilot.

It's possible he meant using the rudder for small corrections on final, but even that really makes no sense (to me anyway) if you have a perfectly good control stick. But he did say "in the landing pattern", which implies to me the square shaped pattern over the airport. It's interesting to me that this doesn't make any sense to the pilots here either. I'll bet he was refering to some querk of the F-100, and did it poorly. I wish we had an F-100 pilot here.

Well, the host of the show is reachable online, although that may be a bit awkward.

Blog Entries
    OK, I am relying on almost 30 year old memories, so I could be mistaken.

1. The B-52 did not use the ACESII seat. I forget the make and model but it was one of the older model seats. It was not comfortable to sit in for long flights (until your butt became so numb you didn't notice it) but it wasn't a 2X4. LOL

2. The reason you didn't have to use the rudder much in the F-4 was because it was connected to the control stick in a manner to provide coordinated turns.

The rudder was used at times to yaw the nose or do barrel rolls, for instance. A little top rudder in a hard turn would keep your nose up. During instrument approaches a slight left or right of course could be corrected with the rudder. The rudder was also used in BFM to keep your nose on the enemy airplane.

3. The F-4, T-38, and if I am not mistaken all sweptwing fighters of that era were pulled through the turn. A normal GA type of wing will automatically gain more lift on the upwing and push it into a turn. Not so the supersonic wings of the Cold War era. If you banked one of these airplanes it would, for the most part, continue to fly straight but banked.

So on the final turn, you rolled off the perch by rolling the airplane into the turn with the control stick, let the nose drop, then pulled the airplane through the descending turn with stick back pressure. Bank would be used to control the turn rate or radius.

I often used a touch of rudder to align the nose with the centerline of the runway on short final.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post

I often used a touch of rudder to align the nose with the centerline of the runway on short final.
    Yep. I do this, and everyone I've ever flown with does this...keeps from side-loading the tires and struts. I have an anecdote about the B-52 ejection seat. My dad flew the B-52D (165 Arc Light missions), and when I was in college I had an opportunity to buy a surplus B-52 ejection seat. I told my dad about it, and that I was going to modify it to be a desk chair. He went off on a tangent about how uncomfortable "that D&mned seat" was, and that I would never graduate from college if I had to sit in it to do homework.