Airfield start position help

Thread: Airfield start position help

Airfield start position help

Need help on that.

Little by little, in the last days I've been making my very first airfield, with help from tutorials, Google Earth and FSSC. The results until now are not bad, I think, and I added to my SCW installation the small airfield of Son Bonet, in my hometown of Palma (Majorca Island).

Everything seems to work fine but one thing, the starting point in Free Flight. The plane starts in the oposite end of the runway. Check the pic: the red cross is where the plane starts and the green arrow is where it should start.

The data in airbase.dat is the following:

[runway.79]
    id=8152
    name=Son Bonet
    base_lat=N39 36.09
    base_lon=E2 41.27
    base_alt=156
    heading=228
    allegiance=0
    units_across=1
    takeoff_start_pos=-000,0
    takeoff_stop_pos=1600,100
    landing_start_pos=-5000,350
    landing_touchdown_pos=-000,0
    landing_stop_pos=-250,0

The base lat and long is the one I want the planes to start at, and in the mission builder it places the planes fine, but in free flight the start position is moved, and I don't know what to change or where to place it in the right spot.

Hopefully some of the masters will know what I'm doing wrong. It's been puzzling me for a couple of days :isadizzy:.

Hi JapLance,
    The airbase.dat will only be used by the Mission Builder. In FF the sim uses info from the afd file that Fssc creates. What is the heading you used in Fssc?

SOH-CM-2018
    If you want to add takeoff points to airbases in freeflight, download MkAFD2 from here:

http://fly.to/mwgfx/

Click on the CFS2/Fs2002 link, then on Utilities, then the MkAFD2 link, then scroll down to MkAFD2 and click the yellow circle to download.

I find this is much better to use than from inside FSSC.
    I have always been a team player. I was once part of a human centipide.

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hi JapLance,
    The airbase.dat will only be used by the Mission Builder. In FF the sim uses info from the afd file that Fssc creates. What is the heading you used in Fssc?
    OK, then I was looking in the wrong place. I was always looking at the airbase.dat for that.

Here is a screen capture of FSSC right now:

Right before you told me that, the runway rotation was the opposite, 48º instead of 228º. I thought it could have been that but made no difference, so I think you mean something else, but I don't know what.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Editor
    If you want to add takeoff points to airbases in freeflight, download MkAFD2 from here:

http://fly.to/mwgfx/

Click on the CFS2/Fs2002 link, then on Utilities, then the MkAFD2 link, then scroll down to MkAFD2 and click the yellow circle to download.

I find this is much better to use than from inside FSSC.
    My very first try was with this application, but I didn't get the right results with it so I turned to FSSC, which I found easier to use.

Thanks to both for helping :ernae:.

It's good to have pictures.

Placement: Runway center at position

:ernae:

Hmmmmm...

You know what JapLance? After getting my software reloaded I started a new airfield project and now I am having the same problen!?
    Now I see what you mean. Reversing the rotation in scenery properties or the runway properties will make no difference, except for reversing my flattens. Go figure!
    I'm a little lost on this one also. Maybe the runway ID number?
    Dave

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Hi guys.

This is an interesting discussion. I normally use FSSC Version 1.2.15. One of the first things I ever noticed is that if the runway heading is set to, lets say, 320 you will take off facing 140.

However, in version 1.5.11 whatever heading you set in as the runway "rotation" seems always be the direction you take off in- in my experience.

It wasn't until I started specifying runway ID parameters (using version 1.2.15) that I noticed that sometimes under some circumstances the runway heading specified was also the heading I am facing when taking off. I don't understand it but still out of habit always specify a runway heading (rotation) that is opposite from the desired heading.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

I found out that when I changed the runway once the sim was fired, through the ALT-GoTo menu, it moved my plane to the right runway. It didn't if I selected the runway in the Main Free Flight Menu.

Anyway, Achim offered himself to take a look at what I had done. Maybe he finds something else.

On another problem, I had added a few hangars and buildings through GSL. It worked fine alone, but when I merged it with my main SCW GSL, the buildings at the near airbase of Palma disappeared. I know what the problem is (different GSL's in the same GOB, "there can be only one"), but I don't know how to fix it.

Hi guys,
    For the Free Flight start position I found that the afd.sca could be edited. My version of Fssc would not comply with changes to runway rotation. It's a pretty simple edit in notepad, after the changes are saved, drag and dropped it on the ol' Scasm and received a new afd.bgl. Tried her out and now my kite is at the intended spot. Since an explanation may prove difficult I, made a little graphic.

Thanks dvslats, just reversing the two SetupLoc did it.

Hi there JapLance, it's good to see that the edit worked for you also. On your Gsl situation...were the objects at the airbase of Palma from another downloaded airfield package, or are these ones that you added? If it is the first one, reinstalling through Gsl man would fix it. If they were personal additions....well without a saved back up of Cfs2.gsl or the mission file they were created in (.lay file), there is no other way to retrieve them. Did you look in the Layout folder in CFS2 for the .lay file?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hi there JapLance, it's good to see that the edit worked for you also. On your Gsl situation...were the objects at the airbase of Palma from another downloaded airfield package, or are these ones that you added? If it is the first one, reinstalling through Gsl man would fix it. If they were personal additions....well without a saved back up of Cfs2.gsl or the mission file they were created in (.lay file), there is no other way to retrieve them. Did you look in the Layout folder in CFS2 for the .lay file?
    Dave
    No problem on this side: the Palma airfield is part of Xabier Berdaguer SCW Airfields, and I keep Son Bonet building location in .lay and .mis files.

In case I couldn't combine them I also added a few buildings through FSSC macros, but I think they're not destroyable. Double the work, half the fun