FSX Convair 240 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FSX Convair 240

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    I love your Saab. Just did a CYZF to KGRB run with a stop in Regina. Had to stop at Bong although nasty storms over N. WI.
    I regularly fly it from KDTW-KESC-KIMT and back... duplicating the real route.. trying to keep a schedule

Great job, Brett!! That DC-3 VC works just fine in her. We've really been needing one of these, used to see them all the time when I started flying.

Nice news on the 580 too. Can I put in an early request for a Texas International or Frontier paint on it?

Thanks for doing this one.

cheers,
    steve

BTW, a little thing, but looks like fuel flow indication increases with leaning the mixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
    Great job, Brett!! That DC-3 VC works just fine in her. We've really been needing one of these, used to see them all the time when I started flying.

Nice news on the 580 too. Can I put in an early request for a Texas International or Frontier paint on it?

Thanks for doing this one.

cheers,
    steve

BTW, a little thing, but looks like fuel flow indication increases with leaning the mixtures.
    Yeah.. the function is identical, and the "feel" is close.. right down to the window arrangements... Whateveer it was that I could have come up with, would not have been better. BUT.. I'll have to REALLY modify it for the 580.. it might just be easier to build one from scratch.

I'm going to do a NorthCentral livery, and maybe a cargo livery like DHL. If I don't get a Frontier one done (I lived in Grand Junction CO for a few years), I'll certainly make a paint-kit available.

That fuel-flow thing is an FSX glitch.. try other piston planes.. Fuel-flow increases when you lean IF you were already too rich. Just keep leaning until it peaks. That's FSX's weird way of making you lose power if the mixture is off.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Would anyone please be able to paint a USCG CV 240 Miami ?

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_Henderson View Post
    Yeah.. the function is identical, and the "feel" is close.. right down to the window arrangements... Whateveer it was that I could have come up with, would not have been better. BUT.. I'll have to REALLY modify it for the 580.. it might just be easier to build one from scratch.
    580 probably wasn't very modern either. Used to fly often between Fort Smith and DFW in a King Air and we always flew FL200 or so, especially when we had thunderstorms. Frontier did the same run and flew the same way, except when there was weather and then they flew really low, 5000 or so. Asked a Flight Safety instructor who had been a 580 captain for Frontier why they did it and he said, "Yeah, we wanted to be up high too, but our radars were so bad that they didn't paint any weather at all. We didn't want to get caught in it blind."

cheers,
    steve

Charter Member 2015
    There are three components to the shine.. It's difficult to explain how they interact, because they kind of "help" each other.

-Reflectivity comes from the main texture's (CV240_1_T) alpha channel

-The "shine" comes from the specteral map (1T_spec)

-The shine is highlighted by alpha channel of the 1T_spec map

All three are different for each paint scheme.. and they're all shades of white-gray-black.

The thing is though.. to get a chrome effect, AND a glass effect, AND a metal effect,, ALL based off one, main bitmap, it gets tricky, and there are also material settings applied from within GMAX that become hard-coded into the model..

Long story short.. I could have made it more flexible, by having small ,seperate textures for for chrome and glass, but that can cost FPS.

If you know how to use alpha channels and want to experiment, I'll help if I can.

Thanks for the answer! But I don't have a clue!!! Shine is good!

really nice aircraft!

David

It's the defaut DC-3 virtual cockpit.. with lots of modification. To start with, I had to re-size the whole thing a tad.. Then re-size and re-locate the gauge polygons, for a more useable layout. I "stole" gauge polygons from the hydraulics (over by the cowl-flap knobs), because you cannot just add VC gauges without re-doing that goofy $string layout.. ala "cookie-cutter" gauging... they were moved to the main panel to accomodate the fuel-flow and VOR gauges. . THEN I went ahead and fixed some bugs.. you can now apply carb-heat and use the fuel cut-offs by the VC levers. They were properly animated, just not attached via the FSX animation manager. Then of course I changed out the ancient radios.. but left the nifty Sperry AP (except on the modern cargo version.. that panel has a Bendix AP and DME)..

For the airspeed and fuel-flow gauges.. I built them from scratch (with a little hacked, default XML code)..
    Wow! Sounds good.

Gonna head over to SimV and give her a try tonight.

Oh.. and yeah.. I like the short-haul stuff. Have you tried my Saab 340 ?
    Are you kidding, of course I have! :d

...and I'm still waiting for the repaint kit.

- Edit: Sorry for having misspelled your first name in my previous post, Brett. *Blushes*

Great plane to fly. Love the sounds too. Thanks!

I am still hoping it will appear here, no sign yet though .

Quote Originally Posted by calypsos View Post
    I am still hoping it will appear here, no sign yet though .

I'm waiting on an upload password

Does anyone have a problem with the outside wheel on the right main gear disappearing when right differential brake is applied?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For some reason at the 6th attempt, I managed to get this from Simviation today!

I have no problems with the wheel disappearing, but seem to have an untextured co-pilot!

She is a delight to fly, but (my personal taste here) I too am not a fan of the 'wax polish' finish. I think she should be much less shiney.

However I just love the sounds, she has a wonderful throaty roar!

Hmmmm.. The only thing I can think of, regarding the dissapearing wheel, is a graphics card reaching its limit.. Same for the co-pilot texturing.

Animated parts are the first thing to "give" when a graphics card "gives up".. Next on the list are parts seen through transparent parts (windows, spinning props). Since the copilot is not animated, he can't disappear.. lol ..so he just doesn't get textured.

I had some weird gauge flickering while testing.. an update for my video drivers cured that..

And yeah.. the shine is like an all or nothing thing. I'm still learning FSX materials wizardry. When you try to put glass and chrome on the same bitmap as regular metal, and everything else.. it gets real touchy. I could have used seperate bitmaps for chrome and glass.. giving me more flexibility for the other materials.. but extra textures mean longer loads and lower FPS..

I realize this is a very old thread but I have been looking for a FSX native Convair 240 and this is still the best one I could find. I have started patching in the VC from Manfred Jahn's C-117D as I think its more modern look is better for the Convair than the one from the default DC-3. Does anybody know if a paint kit was available for this model?
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but maybe this page will help---

http://www.calclassic.com/convair.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Not sure if this is what your looking for, but maybe this page will help---

http://www.calclassic.com/convair.htm
    Thanks for that but Brett Henderson's model does not share the paint kit with the one by Greg Pepper and Tom Gibson
    Joe Cusick

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    No paint kit, as far as I know.

Contains layered PSD files (usable in both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro) which allow you to place your paint scheme between the bare metal layers and the windows and doors.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbr2005 View Post
    Contains layered PSD files (usable in both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro) which allow you to place your paint scheme between the bare metal layers and the windows and doors.
    I double checked the original file (fsndCV240.zip) and could not find a PSD file within it, is it somewhere else?
    Joe Cusick

http://simviation.com/fsnd/menu.html

You might try here for a paint kit or at least more info.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.