Terran Conflict X3; Extreme Addiction! - Page 15
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 57891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Terran Conflict X3; Extreme Addiction!

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    Hey Bill......

What sector did you pick up that Tokyo at ??

How many fighters will it hold ??

LD
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Wow Mike, after just glancing through that PDF, all I have to say is WOW:isadizzy: VERY cool, thanks a million.

"Designed for 6 months of play", hehehehehe
    Marlin - 6 months is just a beginning... I have 3 years + into X3 Reunion and I am still finding new things to do and ways to do them. This sim is truly open ended just like FS and can hold your interest indefinately...

and ... "Another one bytes the dust..."
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    Hey Bill......

What sector did you pick up that Tokyo at ??

How many fighters will it hold ??

Check Cheap as chips Catalogue and Early Settler Catalogue.

LD

LD,

I cheated and created it in the Cheat/Create Ship section.

That bad boy isnt fast, even with super tune but can jump as fast as a Skate.

She holds 64 ships in her saucer section. The entrance to the bays is on the Port side midships, and the exit is through those 4 large rectangular doors on the far side, top of the saucer section. When you take off from the Tokyo, you are pointed straight up.

I was hoping to mainly use it for hauling freight. I cant figure out how to get the freight drones to picking up freight though..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Skate in Queens Retribution

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    I've got every possible scanner ( bio, freight, etc.), but when I target a ship and click scan..........nada. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong ??

Thanx,

LD
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I've got every possible scanner ( bio, freight, etc.), but when I target a ship and click scan..........nada. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong ??

Thanx,

LD

Are you close enough? Doesn't sound like it.

I think you have to be 10 (km??) away.

Here are some sample screens showing the cockpits activated, the last 2 show the worm hole effect when you jump through a gate. That effect has to be turned on in the controls section, sorry for the delay I got caught up in a mission and could not stop.

The wife is away this weekend so I am have no distractions ... back to space...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Retired SOH Administrator
    MIKE..... (I am screaming with excitement)...

Where did you get the cockpit activated? How?

Show me ... show me.... show me....

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Those cockpit screenshots are awesome Mike. Thanks!

I wish there was a way to get a Tracker IR working in X3..... I hate using a hatswitch, it's not natural.

I haven't gotten X3 installed yet. Been busy reading the pdf manual and asking myself, "What in hell did I get myself into?" LOL This is so cool but WOW, there's a whole new learng curve and disipline to get into. Save, save, save, save, and save some more. LOL
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Chacha View Post
    MIKE..... (I am screaming with excitement)...

Where did you get the cockpit activated? How?

Show me ... show me.... show me....
    I got these from the XUniverse forum, it is one of the modes to add cockpits, there are several. The one shown is ver 1.19 which I like but there is a newer 1.2 which I am trying now, I will let everyone know if it is much different, the post asys it adds HUD & Radar.

Here is the link to get the PSC01 cockpits - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=254635

BTW I like using the Fake Patch method for this, that way you can have the cockpits and run one of the many mission or enhanced mods. I am running Appricot Mapping Service now with the cockpits and it is awsome.

Installing as a fake patch is easy, just extract the files to any temp folder, then check your main X3 Terran Conflict folder, look for the ##.cat, ##.dat files, simply rename the PSC01 files you extracted to the temp folder to the next number and move them to the main X3 Terrian Conflict Folder - i.e. If you have the latest update to ver 2.5, the cat/dat files will be from 01 through 09, rename the extracted files to 10.cat and 10.dat, so that this "PSCO1_CockpitMod_v1.19hud.cat", becomes this "10.cat" (ditto for the dat file), move the 2 files into the main folder and you are good to go. Oh btw if the cockpits do not appear when you first start up, just save you game and reload it, then new cockpits.

Do be careful, if you have not updated your game and use this method then update later, the update will overwrite the fake patch, just make note of it before you update and rename the files before and after the update so they are preserved.

I am off to test the Radar eqquiped pits now, I wil post shot later if they are much different.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    I got these from the XUniverse forum, it is one of the modes to add cockpits, there are several. The one shown is ver 1.19 which I like but there is a newer 1.2 which I am trying now, I will let everyone know if it is much different, the post asys it adds HUD & Radar.

Here is the link to get the PSC01 cockpits - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=254635

BTW I like using the Fake Patch method for this, that way you can have the cockpits and run one of the many mission or enhanced mods. I am running Appricot Mapping Service now with the cockpits and it is awsome.

Installing as a fake patch is easy, just extract the files to any temp folder, then check your main X3 Terran Conflict folder, look for the ##.cat, ##.dat files, simply rename the PSC01 files you extracted to the temp folder to the next number and move them to the main X3 Terrian Conflict Folder - i.e. If you have the latest update to ver 2.5, the cat/dat files will be from 01 through 09, rename the extracted files to 10.cat and 10.dat, so that this "PSCO1_CockpitMod_v1.19hud.cat", becomes this "10.cat" (ditto for the dat file), move the 2 files into the main folder and you are good to go. Oh btw if the cockpits do not appear when you first start up, just save you game and reload it, then new cockpits.

Do be careful, if you have not updated your game and use this method then update later, the update will overwrite the fake patch, just make note of it before you update and rename the files before and after the update so they are preserved.

I am off to test the Radar eqquiped pits now, I wil post shot later if they are much different.
    Easy? :isadizzy: :isadizzy: :isadizzy:

For a computer challenged like me, it will take forever for me to learn that! :isadizzy:

EXTRACT... (n)
    ....-verb (used with object)
    1. to get, pull or draw out, usually with special effort, skill or force..

2. to take or copy out (matter), as from a book

... I know that word is a technical term... how exactly will I do it? :isadizzy:

Is that the step by step... ?

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow those cockpits look great though! Be nice to have the shield/hull status more easy to view. I see they are built in to many of those cockpits. That's my usual downfall, I fail to notice I'm taking damage and need to evade.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Chacha View Post
    Easy? :isadizzy: :isadizzy: :isadizzy:

For a computer challenged like me, it will take forever for me to learn that! :isadizzy:

EXTRACT... (n)
    ....-verb (used with object)
    1. to get, pull or draw out, usually with special effort, skill or force..

2. to take or copy out (matter), as from a book

... I know that word is a technical term... how exactly will I do it? :isadizzy:

Is that the step by step... ?
    Sorry Chacha, I sometimes forget and stay in "Geekspeak", the instructions are basically step by step, but it presumes you understand my geek terms. I will write you up a simplified Step, by Step including the links and post it a little later today. I actually do that type of "Cheat Sheet" all the time for my users at work, I just tend to bang things off quickly on message boards.

I will try to grab some screen shots and attach them if possible or I can do it in a PDF and attach that, leave it with me for a bit and I will have you flying with cockpits in no time.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chacha, quick question before I finish this cheat sheet, what OS are you using, Win XP or Vista? I guess the other thing I would need to know is do you have a file compresstion utility like Winzip, Winrar, or 7Zip (these are used to compress and "Extract" files for downloads). I presume you are somewhat familuar with installing FS addons and probably have one Zip program or another, although you can use windows XP and Vista to Extract files, they are just different in the way they handle the process.

Let me know I am working on a cheat sheet now and will adjust it to suite you needs.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    Chacha, quick question before I finish this cheat sheet, what OS are you using, Win XP or Vista? I guess the other thing I would need to know is do you have a file compresstion utility like Winzip, Winrar, or 7Zip (these are used to compress and "Extract" files for downloads). I presume you are somewhat familuar with installing FS addons and probably have one Zip program or another, although you can use windows XP and Vista to Extract files, they are just different in the way they handle the process.

Let me know I am working on a cheat sheet now and will adjust it to suite you needs.
    Hey Mike...

I have OSX/Snow Leopard on my Mac... :isadizzy:
    And also XP....I can use Winzip...

Thanks for your patience man....

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Wow Mike....

Wow......

Tripple wow.....

Those VC shots are just totally awesome man!!!!!! I MUST HAVE!!!!!

GOODNESS!!!!

I'll be waiting for your mini tutorial also on installing the upgrade for that. I too am WinXP. I think (think) ChaCha has X3 running in Mac mode? Am I right ChaCha? (must be nice.. Must run like glass in Mac OSX with 64bit running).

man.... Awesome screenshots..

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Just installing the Gold pack. Terran Conflict 2.5 is installed and doing X3 Reunion now. I didn't realise there are 2 separate sims in this package.
    Gary -

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Wow Mike....

Wow......

Tripple wow.....

Those VC shots are just totally awesome man!!!!!! I MUST HAVE!!!!!

GOODNESS!!!!

I'll be waiting for your mini tutorial also on installing the upgrade for that. I too am WinXP. I think (think) ChaCha has X3 running in Mac mode? Am I right ChaCha? (must be nice.. Must run like glass in Mac OSX with 64bit running).

man.... Awesome screenshots..

Bill
    Errr..... Yes Lionheart ....

... but I can use my XP as well, since I have a dual OS.. and since I love (love) the VC...

(right now, too busy to fly the Victory, and reviewing daughter's music requests)

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    Just installing the Gold pack. Terran Conflict 2.5 is installed and doing X3 Reunion now. I didn't realise there are 2 separate sims in this package.

Yep.. Two complete games..

Gary, you are afraid about jumping into the game. Dont be. Just go fly. Have fun and see everything. You can then start a mission after you figure things out.

Just remember to get SETA drive as soon as possible. I purchased a hauler the other night that didnt have SETA in it. The thing was battered up. Took me like 10 or 15 min's to fly from one station to the next at 38 M/S to outfit it with SETA drive. So get that first. Once you get it, use J key to activate it when needed. Note, it shuts off when you come close to objects. Just click J again to start it again.

Bill

Adding Mods to X3TC

There are 2 ways to add mods to X3, 1) is to place the mod files in the main X3 folder, and select them from a list when you open the game launcher. That is a very simple method but it limits you to a single mod (I use it to test a mod to see if I like it, and if I do I then use the Fake Patch method to install permanently). Here are the basic steps to install into the Mod folder and use the Game Launcher to install a mod.

Here is the link to the Cockpit mod that prompted this question - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=254635

• You first of course need to download the Mod and save it on your system, I usually create a temp folder on the desktop and use that for the basic work.
    • Once you have the mod saved to your temp folder, it generally needs to be "Extracted" - Windows XP and Vista can do this for Zip files, if the file has something besides a .zip extension you will need a different utility, (I like 7Zip, if you need this let me know and I can point you to a place to get and install it). If the file is a .zip skip to the next step, if not stop here and get a utility to extract the file.
    • Regardless of the program you are going to use to extract the mod files the easiest way I know is to select the file then "Right Click" on the context menu there will be an "Extract" or Uncompress option, if you use XP/Vista, if you use something like 7Zip the name 7Zip will be on that menu, select whichever is there and extract the files to the current location - With 7Zip when you select it you will see a new menu offering several options, select "Extract Files Here", other programs like Winzip and WinRar are pretty much the same.
    • You should now see the mod files in the temp folder alone with the original zip file. There should always be at least 2, a .CAT and a .DAT (sometimes there will be a Readme.txt, up to you but I do read these)
    • Now the "Installation" really quite simple, select both files and right click again, then select "Copy" from the context menu. (we paste these files later on)
    • OK the tricky part of the installation, (NOT) you need to find the main X3 Terran Conflict Folder. The simple way to do this is to use the Desktop shortcut, simply point to it with your mouse and right click (can you tell I like the "Right Click function...lol), and select the "Properties" button. When the Properties dialogue appears there will be a button on the lower left either "Find Tagret" for Win XP or "Open File Location" for Vista, Win 7, click the button!, This will open Windows Explorer and take you to the main X3 Terran Conflict Folder, there are lots of way to do this, I just find this method is quick and easy.
    • Now with the Explorer window open, you should see the folder list on the left and the X3 TC folder should be highlighted and open - if it is not expanded, click the plus sign beside the folder to expand it. In the right pain you will see all the files in the main folder (we will use this later for the Fake Patch method).
    • OK with the main folder expanded you will see all of the sub folders, in that list there should be a folder called "mods" (if not create a new folder with that name). Now this is the actual install detail, point at that folder and - "Say it with me now" RIGHT CLICK... This time select "Paste" (remember I said earlier we would paste the files - thought I forgot didn't ya...lol) from the context menu... Poof install is COMPLETE!
    • The only thing to do now is start up the game and wihen the Game Launcher screen appears on the main menu select the "Select Mod Package" button, you will see the name of the mod you just installed, select it and click OK. That's it you are done, start your game normally. The newly installed mod will be active after you save and reopen any game. If you do not plan on installing other mods this is all you need to do, that mod will stay selected until you install another and select a different one in the Selection.
      There are of course many way to do this, this is just one way.

Rather than make this post any longer I will do a seperate Cheat Sheet for the Fake Patch method, many of the steps are the same, just a different location and an extra step to rename the files.

Enjoy and watch out for the Pirates, and the Xeon, they get cranky at times...lol
    Give me a few and I will do the same for the Fake Patch Method...
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adding Mods as "Fake Patches"

There are 2 ways to add mods to X3, 1 - is to place the mod files in the main X3 folder, and select them from a list when you open the game launcher. That is a very simple method but it limits you to a single mod (I use it to test a mod to see if I like it, and if I do I then use the Fake Patch method to install permanently). 2 - is to install a mod as a "Fake Patch", here are the basic steps to install a Mod as a fake patch. This is the method I use when I have tested a Mod and decide I want to keep it running, some cuation needs to be used as there are potential conflicts with various mods. If you have a problem mod it is simple to remove a "Fake Patch" simply by deleting 2 files so no harm done. The basic steps start the same, however I will leave them here so this can stand alone as a complete cheat sheet.

• You first of course need to download the Mod and save it on your system, I usually create a temp folder on the desktop and use that for the basic work.
    • Once you have the mod saved to your temp folder, it generally needs to be "Extracted" - Windows XP and Vista can do this for Zip files, if the file has something besides a .zip extension you will need a different utility, (I like 7Zip, if you need this let me know and I can point you to a place to get and install it). If the file is a .zip skip to the next step, if not stop here and get a utility to extract the file.
    • Regardless of the program you are going to use to extract the mod files the easiest way I know is to select the file then "Right Click" on the context menu there will be an "Extract" or "Uncompress" option, if you use XP/Vista, if you use something like 7Zip the name 7Zip will be on that menu, select whichever is there and extract the files to the current location - With 7Zip when you select it you will see a new menu offering several options, select "Extract Files Here", other programs like Winzip and WinRar are pretty much the same.
    • You should now see the mod files in the temp folder alone with the original zip file. There should always be at least 2, a .CAT and a .DAT (sometimes there will be a Readme.txt, up to you but I do read these)
    • What we have to do now is find out what version of the game you have and add the mod as if it were the next game patch from the publisher.
    • OK the tricky part of the installation, (NOT) you need to find the main X3 Terran Conflict Folder. The simple way to do this is to use the Desktop shortcut, simply point to it with your mouse and right click (can you tell I like the "Right Click function...lol), and select the "Properties" button. When the Properties dialogue appears there will be a button on the lower left either "Find Tagret" for Win XP or "Open File Location" for Vista/Win 7, click the button!, This will open Windows Explorer and take you to the main X3 Terran Conflict Folder (there are lots of way to do this, I just find this method is quick and easy).
    • Now with the Explorer window open, you should see the folder list on the left and the X3 TC folder should be highlighted and open - if it is not expanded, click the plus sign beside the folder to expand it. In the right pain you will see all the files in the main folder. Look at these files you will see a series of files numbered 01.cat and 01.dat, right up to 09.cat and 09.dat if you are at the current ver 2.5. If you have not installed the latest update it would be good to do that first but it is not required. Just keep in mind if you add a published update later on that is signed you need to rename any and all "Fake Patches BEFORE you install the publishers update, thats why I recommend doing it first, no "OH $hit" moments later when you have a "Brain Fart" like I often do...
    • OK this time we are installing the mod files in the main directory, so if we see the game patches are up to date and the 09.cat, and 09.dat are the highest numbered we just go back to the temp folder on our desktop, and you guessed it, rename the 2 mod files from what ever they are called to 10.cat and 10.dat (if the cat and dat files stop at 7 or 8 you would use the next number, do not skip from 7 to 50 thinking it will allow you safety to install publisher updates, the game does not seem to like that one little bit!)
    • Once you have renamed the files, select them both and - you guessed it "Right Click" this time we select "Copy" from the menu. Now you locate the X3 Main folder again and with the folder name highlighted in the left pane list "Right Click" AGAIN, then Paste. Poof install is COMPLETE!
    • The only thing to do now is start up the game and test it out, you will need to open save and reopen a game for the cockpits to appear, but just select any game from you list and perform the save reload and you will have nice new cockpits for your ships.
    • I would recommend keeping a readme style text file in the mods folder or the main X3 folder listing each mode by name and the number you used for the fake patch, that way you can always rename one if a new publisher patch comes out or you want to delete a specific patch.
    There are of course many way to do this, this is just one way.

Enjoy and watch out for the Pirates, and the Xeon, they get cranky at times...lol
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There you go folks, I hope they are useful, keep in mind I did not have time to test each step click for click, this is all from memory but I reviewed the steps and I am fairly confident I didn't miss anything significant. I tried to keep it simple with out using much geek speak so hopefully most can follow these steps.

Sorry the posts are so long, but as I said I did not want to miss anything so I got a little wordy...lol
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Thanks Mike for that briliant set of tutorials.

I am going to load these up tonight and check them out. They look fantastic.

Having not seen them yet, may I ask, is it possible to transfer VC's from one ship to another as like you can with FSX? In FSX, you can simply drop the 'interior model' into another Model folder, align/fix the model config file, and you have a diff interior.

Thanks again and happy hunting..

Bill
    LHC

Bill, yep I've jumped in full bore. This sim is awesome and gorgeous to boot. Takes a bit to get used to but this old dog is learning.

Mike, I've copied your tutorial and have it saved... both parts. Plus I downloaded the cocpit mod and will get that in asap.

My wife walked in when I first started Terran Conflict and it even blew her away. She was very impressed. Never have I heard her say anything like that about any of the games I've got, not even for FS9 or FSX. LOL

Edit:
    Seeing this thread has become so popular, maybe X3 should have it's own forum. Could that happen?
    Gary -

SOH-CM-2014
    Looks like BSG fans will be inlove with this game..