Targets II

Thread: Targets II

Targets II

Of course there's a whole bunch of targets in Fallon's Range Training Complex. Everyone's favorite is normally B-17 where there iare two airfields, a building complex, the SAM Sites, columns of armor, Planes, and probably even a bunker or two. B-16, B-19, and B-20 have targets for strike practice as well. All are there their actual positions plus or ninus a few feet. (Had to use google earth for positioning.)

Man, loving the detail Jim. Remembering my DET there back in the early 90's when as a squadron observer at the range some of our hornets flew so low and went vertical just over our vehicles, which had open doors, and the jetblast slammed them shot. The coolest loud noises I have ever heard!

So happy you are doing this scenery.

Mike

Cannot wait for the FSX VRS Bug and the Iris F-16D :ernae:

NAS Fallon gets alot of cool visitors, as well as some cool USN Adversary NSAWC paint schemes.

Takes me back to the glory days of Miramar and Point Mugu when my squadron (Hornets) assumed Soviet paint jobs at Mugu and VFC-13 @ Miramar flew F-16N's, F-5's and Skyhawks.

Hope you all like these pics ...

Mike

tigisfat
    Those look great!! What are the odds of you doing the Nellis range complex?

Very cool!

I had planned on doing something similar. Glad you beat me too it :ernae:

Any chance you could make damage models of all the scenery items as well & add an effect attach points? That way those of us so inclined to make missions using this scenery could actually blow things up
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MenendezDiego View Post
    Cannot wait for the FSX VRS Bug and the Iris F-16D :ernae:
    I agree that those two aircraft will take FSX fighters to new heights. Looking forward to them.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Yeah, I'm going to have to make a static (or maybe even AI) F-5. I believe I've seen AI F-16's somewhere.

@ Tig...at some point if this one goes well.

@Boomer: If you could PM me as to specifics (I haven't done that before), there are only about a dozen target models so far, and it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.

Jim

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhaenens View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to make a static (or maybe even AI) F-5. I believe I've seen AI F-16's somewhere.

Jim
    <center>FSX - FSX Scenery Objects </center> <center>FSX Scenery Object--Northrop F-5 Fighter
    </center> <center> [ Download | View ] </center>
    Name: f5-1.zip Size: 1,240,074 Date: 08-08-2009 Downloads: 108
    FSX Scenery Object--Northrop F-5 Fighter. Includes two libraries containing three models of the F5 Freedom Fighter. Original by Claudio Sanchez. Remodeled as a static object by Guy Diotte.

PS. if you do a search on Flightsim for
    Guy Diotte you'll find that he's made a bunch of scenery objects...from F-16,C-130 to MiG-21
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Videre Vincere Est

Wink

...I believe I've seen AI F-16's somewhere....
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...other#download; Look for AI_RNLAF_VIPER

Readme states what a/c are used, originating from http://htaimodels.com/downloads.html

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

JDHAENENS: I hope someone can come up with photo-real scenery for this area to complement your work. The quality of your scenery is way too good for the stock FSX terrain in this area.

FLYBOY208: Cool pics. Those ATAC KFIR's tend to get around.

Thanks guys. @Bone I might be able to figure something out around specific areas. Bandwidth becomes a problem. Most freeware sites limit total file size to 100mb. The 1Meter resolution area I've done around the base is 40Megs on it's own. I could probably get it a little lower using the "Compression Quality" switch in resample, but compared to the area of range coverage, the NAS itself looks like a pinhead in the larger scheme of things.

I agree about the areas of the ranges, though. Even on Google Earth one can tell that all the real color is missing from the sim. I downloaded some ASTER-DEM 15Meter elevations for the entire area, and the .bgl file was another 35Megs, but that didn't change the look sufficiently to bother with either.

I'll definitely look at what is possible, rather than waiting for Orbx or Holger to take an interest in the area, but I don't think I've got the patience to replace 500 square miles of autogen.... I don't know how they do it. They must have some of it scripted or something.

Jim

JAKE 'AEROGATOR' BURRUS & KEVIN 'WEESCOTTY' RIED at MAIW have an excellent ai-T-38 available, and Henry Tomkiewicz has the best full F-16 set out there.

ai_t-38_talon.zip at avsim

http://www.htaimodels.com/downloads.html at bottom of page for the F-16s
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Videre Vincere Est

Question

and Henry Tomkiewicz has the best full F-16 set out there.
    http://www.htaimodels.com/downloads.html at bottom of page for the F-16s
    Guess my replies gone invisible again :isadizzy:

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

Warrant's [MARQUEE]YouTube Channel[/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Photobucket [/MARQUEE] [MARQUEE]Webpage[/MARQUEE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Weather radar EU and USA

Charter Member 2015
    The HTAI models are fs9 portovers, no? The aircraft I mentioned (at least the F-5's,not sure about the others) are FSX mdlxmdl format.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Wow, this is looking great! In 1985 our squadron (VA-94, A-7E) was at Fallon with the rest of the air wing, getting ready to deploy. At that time, each pilot was graded on his bombing run, and the grading was done by another squadron pilot flying the Cessna O-2 aircraft, and spotting the bomb hits. When it was our division officer’s turn to fly the O-2, he would always take one of us with him. I got to do this once, and it was awesome! Imagine hanging around the bombing range, observing, while A-7s came screaming over (and under) us to drop bombs on the targets out there in the desert! It was cool. Can’t wait for this one to come out!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Warrant View Post
    Guess my replies gone invisible again :isadizzy:
    oops, posted/answered before seeing yours, sorry. :ernae:
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Those who have been to Fallon on dets will know well the meaning of the "Fallon Shuffle"...........

:ernae:

Go NAVAIR.....

NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Those who have been to Fallon on dets will know well the meaning of the "Fallon Shuffle"...........

:ernae:

Go NAVAIR.....

NC
    I hear that Chief! Mike

T The 1Meter resolution area I've done around the base is 40Megs on it's own. I could probably get it a little lower using the "Compression Quality" switch in resample, but compared to the area of range coverage, the NAS itself looks like a pinhead in the larger scheme of things.
    Jim,

If you're running 100% compression all you're getting is file bloat. This applies for either photo or mesh work. Knocking the level down a bit gives considerable savings in file size. Considerable!

There's 10m source readily available for the mesh. Take me a few minutes to whip something up, given boundaries. As long as the Seamless cooperates! Tonight it is, so it's a good night.

Thanks Lance,

I have also tried the seamless server 10 M mesh, and it really doesn't do much either. It's more a color problem than a detail problem. Thanks for the offer though.

Jim,

Mesh doesn't come in colors. Unless you're staring at a GeoTiff file. Are you thinking orthoimagery??

Checking some compression numbers on some files. Using 97% vs. 100% resulted in a 60% file size drop. Going to 95% is over 70% file size drop. Mesh, I'm talking about.

Orthoimagery may be different, but there will be a big difference with just a little compression.

Jim,
    As usual, and as expected, a superb effort!

Deke