Megascenery Earth

Thread: Megascenery Earth

Megascenery Earth

I've been looking at this almost since I first saw advertisements for it, but I was flying strictly FS9 and this wasn't (isn't) available for that platform. Since moving back into FSX I decided to try a bit of it, especially since New Jersey is one of the areas that's almost completely covered.

Very first impression. . . .it looks washed out. I worked as a Commercial/Graphic Artist for almost 30 years and so stuff like this, in a production release drives me nutty, lol. Hasn't anyone ever heard of "contrast"? Tweaking these tiles to add more contrast would not only add more depth to them but also (in this case) allow them to sync better with the autogen that's dribbled around the landscape. . .as it is the autogen sticks out like a sore thumb. Every offering I've seen come out that incorporates satellite imagery as ground textures is done the same way, washed out, flat as a pancake and off color. Yea it takes a lot of work to tweak those tiles, I can only imagine, but geeeeze what a difference it would make, aaaaaand you might get a lot more return customers with a quality product.

Ok, second impression. . .very cool, lol, lol. Yea, all that above still holds true, but revving up the Northwest Chopper and flying over a state I grew up in and recognize almost every highway and side street is very cool indeed. The Atlantic City Exprwy (North/South Frwy as we knew it), Black Horse Pike, Rt 42, Sunset Beach, My High School, Atlantic City, Cape May and on and on. . . .just very cool. The other thing that's just amazing to me (I'm easily amazed) is that the ground traffic, which is default in FSX, follows the exact track of the highways as set in Megascenery. So all the clover leaf turns, off ramps, overpasses, everything as seen from the air has traffic that follows those curves and circles, etc. Just the coolest thing ever. I'm havin' a blast going home and hangin' out for a bit.

Finally, yea I know . . ."Tile Proxy". Well, it doesn't have autogen and getting it to work was an on again off again process that I never really mastered so this, in my opinion, is already better than putting up with the hassles of TileProxy. The other thing is that if you have "Easy Scenery", "Instant Scenery" or any of the other scenery placement programs for FSX, you can now drop objects "exactly" where they need to be because the ground textures are there for placement. . .which is exactly what I plan on doing for some of the airports around Jersey. Oh yea. . .I'm lovin' it, lol.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Master of Disaster
    Wish they'd do where I live in NY. I bought some Fla. tiles near where the rest of my family lives and it's ok.
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I would like to see entire states done. I think that is the future of photo real scenery, as then you will not see the borders from deep in the state. Unless you are on the upper north east coast, lol...
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Wing Nut
    I'm a big fan of Mega Scenery. For only $7.50 a tile I bought three that covers my entire playground from Santa Barbara to Van Nuys.

As long as you stay above 1500' AGL it looks great to me. I'm still working out how much autogen to add. I've used from NONE to EXTREMELY DENSE .. it depends on where I'm flying whether it be mountains or cities

gajit
    I have bought the whole of Colorado in segments and the great Hawaii package - never get bored of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Nut
    . . . . .As long as you stay above 1500' AGL it looks great to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gajit
    . . . . .I have bought the whole of Colorado in segments and the great Hawaii package - never get bored of it.
    Yep, I agree guys, I'm enjoying the heck out of South Jersey and Eastern Delaware, but it could have been much better with a bit more attention to color and contrast.

Current System Specs:

I have seven sections for western washington and I can report that night flying for me is enhanced by a factor of two over stock fsx. Seatac never looked so good as it does with mega Earth

I did a few screens while flying around the Atlantic City area. The first one is looking down at the Atlantic City Expressway, the second is looking west toward Philly and the last is basically over Pleasantville looking out to Atlantic City.
    I did one more utilizing the contrast and brightness tool just to show what a difference even that little tweak can make. Imagine if you could color correct just a tad as well. . . .the autogen went darker on me obviously, but consider that they would be closer in shade and color as well with a bit of tweaking.

Current System Specs:

Falcon, there's no smog over Philly.... and that's just wrong. LOL
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    Falcon, there's no smog over Philly.... and that's just wrong. LOL
    Ha ha, very true GT and ya can't smell the Delaware in that shot either, lol.

Current System Specs: