Auster J5 Aiglet Trainer!

Thread: Auster J5 Aiglet Trainer!

FlyTexas

Auster J5 Aiglet Trainer!

Dave Molyneaux and Brian Horsey have released their extremely nice Auster J5 Aiglet Trainer. A real labor of love this is. Just perfect. Now available for download at http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/.

Brian

OOOH! off to CBF i go!:ernae: thanks for the HU

I've just spent the last week touring the Western Isles of Scotland in an Auster and not just any Auster either, but this very example G-AMMS.

Today, I have sampled the completed model, by flying some circuits at Sleap in Shropshire (one of our stops on the journey North) and am ever so impressed with both the way that she looks and in the way that she handles. Its extremely close to the real thing and its a big thankyou to all involved for making this model of what is probably one of the most famous Austers ever built.

Built in 1951 by Auster Aircraft Ltd at Rearsby, it was retained by the company until 1954, being completed as a J5F, then modifed as a J5K (the only such aircraft) and J5L. The airframe was fitted, at various times, with a De Havilland Gipsy Major 1 of 130hp or a Blackburn Cirrus Major 3 of 155hp, and had the Auster Aiglet Trainer’s shortened wingspan (from 36 ft to 32 ft, to increase the aircraft’s roll rate) and strengthened structure to enable aerobatics to be performed.

It was in this very aeroplane that the 'Porteous Loop' or a loop with a flick roll in the top was first devised. Ranald Porteous was Auster's Chief Test Pilot.

He took the Aiglet up one day at Rearsby in view of his managing director, Frank Bates. Porteous landed and approached Bates for a first-hand reaction. Bates regarded him quizzically for a moment, then replied: ‘Are you trying to tell me that was intentional?’”

Later on it was owned by British comedian Jimmy Edwards.

So, if you are looking for something different to fly, or something that is very very realistic, then please download this Auster. I'm going back for another little go now.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

FlyTexas
    Hi Martin. Thanks much for the Auster info as well as your great pics. I can only imagine the fun you had on your Auster adventure. :ernae:

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTexas View Post
    Hi Martin. Thanks much for the Auster info as well as your great pics. I can only imagine the fun you had on your Auster adventure. :ernae:

Brian
    Well photos are much better than words, so here are a few that try to show how everything went.

Martin

FlyTexas
    Oooo great pics, Martin! Thanks very much for sharing them. Looks like your Auster found a couple of playmates on the trip.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTexas View Post
    Oooo great pics, Martin! Thanks very much for sharing them. Looks like your Auster found a couple of playmates on the trip.

Brian
    There were four of us....the prototype Auster AOP.9 WZ662, a J1N Alpha in RCAF markings, us in G-AMMS and then the AOP.6 VX113 which has also been wonderfully modelled by Dave Molyneaux for FS2004.

Off to Belgium tomorrow in a Broussard

Martin

What a delightful plane! Great flyer! This one was also used by the Dutch, or am I mistaken?

Cees

The Mk.3 was used by the Dutch Air Force postwar, but the Aiglet Trainer I believe as a military type was only used by Pakistan and the Arab Legion Air Force.

There were no Aiglet Trainers on the Dutch Civilian Register, although examples were registered in Germany.

Martin

Found today, a photo of G-AMMS as the company demonstrator at Farnborough in the early 1950s.

Martin