Freeware Gems - Page 6
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeware Gems

Tom,

maybe making it into a 'Freeware classics' Sub-forum? That would preserve it for prosperity. Maybe with separate threads for Scenery, mesh, tubes, GA, military, vintage, warbirds, etc.

ét Voila, a permanent reference for future newbies?

BTW, AWESOME thread, as relatively recent CFS2 convert, shows me some I missed, many thanks.

Jamie
    Hey JD

You know every now and then us old farts need our brains rattled a bit to ! My favorites list has expanded quite a bit with the links listed in this thread. Tom I think JD has a pretty good idea.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

Not a bad idea at all. I don't have the access to do that, but I can take it up with the ones that do.

I was also thinking of some sort of list collated from the different links here. Still mulling that over...

Meanwhile - keep 'em coming!:ernae:
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

You could have stickies for each category so they don't vanish. Nominations for classic candidates being made through normal threads, only making it into the hall of fame stickies when acknowledged as worthy? That would filter out the new stuff that has the new 'shiny thing' factor only to dull to soon,keeping the stickies for the long-legged true classics. We all suffer from new toy syndrome now and again, sometimes the shine wears off to quickly.

Jamie

For those who only fly Freeware there is a free Vulcan and a free Shackleton, both by the now defunct (or possibly revived) Phoenix Designs. While not up to the standard of new Payware models and both missing VCs the external modelling is nicely done and I do enjoy flying the vulcan (althugh I'm a little suspicious of the Bomb-bay doors animation)

Vulcan

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004military69.htm

Shackleton

FS2002 - FS2002 Aircraft FS2002/FS2004 Avro Shackleton
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: pd920150.zip Size: 22,413,193 Date: 11-04-2005 Downloads: 3,519
    FS2002/FS2004 Avro Shackleton MR. MK 2 / AEW2 v.01. Avro Shackleton Mk 2 maritime patrol aircraft from the 1950s to early 70s went on to the 1990s as an AEW aircraft with the RAF. There are four models and five aircraft featured in this file. Model includes animated bomb bay doors and radar, basic panel and default sound. By Paul Foster.

http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...ileinfo&id=392
    http://classicbritishfiles.com/index...ileinfo&id=879

Thought of another good one, the Simshed Folland Gnat:

http://www.simshed.co.uk/gnat2.html
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    there is one more p38
    but i do not know if its still available

H

Wonderful thread!!! I never realized how many things I was missing

I do not know, but has somebody mentioned the Cessna L-19 from Massimo Taccoli??? To be found at the normal suspects (flightsim, Avsim, etc) and you have military and civilian models with wheels, floats and skis.

http://www.maxtac.it/maxtac-en/index.php

Anime Adoring Aviator
    On flightsim you can get all the different variations of the L-19 used by the French Army. They are done by Michel Gerard. He has done French textures for a lot of freeware aircraft.

I also found a Swedish version of the Saab 105 on FSnordic. It is aliased to the Austrian one so you need both installed. It says it is for the payware version but it works anyway.

has anyone mentioned these?

http://herbieg.homestead.com/main.html

I haven't tried the Forts as I have the DW ones, but I used to love the old Stinson in CFS2.

The "G" model Fortress is the only plane I've ever been able to land from the VC! The contact points on the Stinsons need to be tweaked. The steering is set to zero, so rudder input does nothing and even diff braking is tough. I used 60° for the steering angle on the t-dragger, and 50° for the amphibian. I seem to remember doing the same thing for the bomber too, but I just can't remember.:isadizzy:
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

That old Stinson from CFS2 was the first plane I ever painted, added ribs and panels and a blue rudder that I found in a profile. Long since lost

Jamie

chrisf36
    I think this is one of the 'forgotten' of the beautiful planes by Piglet.

Its the Boeing 221 Monomail. Very detailed model and I love the way it flies. Its available on Flightsim and used to be on Avsim.

Chris

SlamBam
    how about a really nice Bix jet...no VC but she is a beauty to fly. Some adjustment could be used on the lighting but other than that....

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Business Jets FS2004 NetJets USA Cessna Citation Excel
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: aryus_c560_eja_n695qs.zip Size: 5,315,125 Date: 09-06-2009
    FS2004 NetJets USA Cessna Citation Excel XLS, registration N695QS. NetJets flies this model and livery of the Citation in Europe and the USA. Attention wa paid to detail and realism as much as possible on this work, but some things did not exactly line up as in the real bird (e.g. registration on the tail). The textures in this repaint are 32-bit. Repainted textures are 32-bit with no mipmaps. Repaint by Jeffrey S. Bryner, Cessna Citation Excel XLS Model by Aryus Works. Full install package. Uses default Lear 45 panel and sounds.

Not sure these would be called FS9 Gems but this is a reason to check out my new web entry page I am testing

http://www.flightsimonline.com/fsoen...iles/frame.htm
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

all of your aircraft are Gems Milton :ernae:

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Not sure these would be called FS9 Gems but this is a reason to check out my new web entry page I am testing

http://www.flightsimonline.com/fsoen...iles/frame.htm
    Looking super Milton, we all have your stuff on the top shelf.

Caz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Looking super Milton, we all have your stuff on the top shelf.

Caz
    I've put them on a separate top shelf that's located on top of the top shelf...........
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    all of your aircraft are Gems Milton :ernae:
    They definately are!
    (The immortal Beech 18 in particular... )

But the slideshow on your web page seems to need some time until the pics get loaded (using IE 6). Any 'brakes' applied?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, didnt see it, but appologies if I missed it...

Toronto Scenery CYYZ2007.zip on flightsim.com by Denis Di Franco. I think its cyyz2007_v1.zip on avsim, but i know it adds the version 1 in the title or so on avsim, but is just cyyz2007.zip on flightsim.com

excellent airport, nice buildings... and not too bad on fps....

oh, excellent thread...!!! Ive downloaded about 12 things going through reading this thread already !!!
    Remember: It's break ground, and fly into the wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SlamBam
    I had the opportuniy to stop by this airport last week and this brand new add-on is very good !!!

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery FS2004 Scenery--Floyd Bennett Memorial
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: kgfl_v20.zip Size: 59,669,955 Date: 09-07-2009
    FS2004 Scenery--Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport, Glens Falls (KGFL), New York, v2.0. Located in the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY USA, this facility is owned by Warren County and run by RichAir. Although it has a 5000 foot main runway, KGFL is a non-controlled airfield catering to small angine aircraft up to a few private jets serving 'The Northcountry' New York. It has recently received several upgrades including four new GA hangars large enough to accommodate the needs of buisness jets. All objects fully designed and completely redone in Gmax using high resolution custom photoreal 32 bit textures. Optional DTX textures included. Also includes new AFCAD file, more accurate airport grounds perimeter, satellite photoreal grounds, custom taxiways, taxisigns and taxilights, area roads, animated hangar doors, and near area landclass. No AI traffic tracks included with this release, but AFCAD designed to support several AI. Rwy12 objects required for a few static aircraft and parking lot light poles. By EdGeneer Cox.

....That new GFL is great!! Only problem i encountered was lack of mips on the textures. The whole airport was 'crawling' and shimmering terribly, so i mipped the textures myself. It looks great!!!

Wow, Im flattered, I just put that out today

And for the mipmaps, I just figured out 2 hours ago that I forgot to do them, I am an idiot... If you do make them yourselves, make sure you ignore mipmapping the fences, ant_twr and fencebar textures, as transparancy oddities in fs are magnified when mipmapped, BUT try it yourself and see how it looks. I went to the dtx3 fences and ant_twr after I mipmapped everything else and it looked better unmipmapped... (the fences, that is)

I came back in here to add the P3-C Orion package that was out a bit ago. I thought it was some Japanese gents that put that pack out, with a sizeable update as well... the only one I can find now is the one by Team FS KBT maybe its the same pack, but i cant find the a/c now and i swear i had it installed...

also the F4U-7 corsair by Alpha Bleu Ceil is nice.... filename corsf4u7.zip on flightsim.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SlamBam
    Ed great job on that scenery. As I said I stopped by the airport while on vacation at Lake George and you did a great job. Any plans on any other airports in that area?

Thanks,

Possibly a few, B04 (Garnseys), Argyle, and K30(Heber), and maybe the sagamore for the floatplane docks... but thats a whole elaborate hotel to make for that, so, i dunno...

i still have to do the winter textures for kgfl before the snow falls

Did anyone mention Dino's F14 Packages or the Coopley P38's for good gems... ??? Must haves IMHO!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Muskoka, CYQA Ontario, just got it at Flightsim today, very well rendered airport ....

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery
    FS2004 Scenery--The Muskoka Airport

[ Download | View ]

Name: muskoka_cyqa.zip Size: 20,707,381 Date: 09-07-2009
    FS2004 Scenery--The Muskoka Airport (CYQA) is owned and operated by the District Municipality of Muskoka. A Transport Canada Certified facility, providing a vital link to the air transportation industry in the Muskoka area. By Jim Kanold of Flight Ontario.

Cheers! Mike

Duh, how can I not mention my number one favorite flier...the FSDB Lockheed L-10 Electra. Nice plane, nice VC...the only drawback is the lack of paints for the plane.

Also, Manfred Jahns has some really nice stuff out. Jens B. Kristensen has a library of gem quality freeware planes that are a must have.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]