Aviation Books - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Books

This is a great book. The idea, as you can figure out from the title, is a look at how the development of race planes advanced the technology of aviation. Lots of technical stuff on the race planes on the 1930s. Not much focus on the "big" races, like MacRobertson, or race events in particular. More about the planes.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Valentine's gift from the Mrs. Revolution In The Sky, The Lockheeds of Aviation's Golden Age.

Thanks to MM for the heads up on this one.
    I just ordered this one...
    HP Reverb G2

Here's one I'd heartily suggest, about the man considered by many to be "The Father of Aerial Navigation":

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jepp.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	12782

That definitely looks interesting, VP!

Just received this one in the mail from Amazon. Paperback, Published in 1963. Lots of good stuff, race results, details of the planes, and stories of the airplane builders and pilots. Too bad it covers only the US races.

HP Reverb G2

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    A few new, relatively cheap, additions to my library; Farewell MD-11 about the last MD-11 flying passengers for the KLM, the long history KLM had with Douglas (Flying all types from the DC-2 till the MD-11!) and the people working with the MD-11. In Dutch only:

Name:	124932_0.jpg 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	16384

Luchtvaart 2015 (Aviation 2015), the next part in this 38-year old series of books, and #11 for me. A good review of new aircraft and important events over the last year. (Dutch only):

Name:	125247_0.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	16385

Warplane No.06: Convair B-58 Hustler. Edition 6 in a new series from Dutch writer Nico Braas. Tekst in English and a lot of good photos. My second book from this series, the first one (About the Me-109) I bought from the writer himself, who also runs the antiue shop at the Aviodrome.

Name:	large-194.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	16386

http://www.lanasta.com/Shop/product/...-warplane.html
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Just finished this one. It's pretty good. Mallick was a navy pilot in the Korean War, then spent the rest of his career as a NACA/NASA test pilot, until retirement in 1987. He has very interesting accounts of what it was like to fly many different kinds of planes, from SR-71/YF-12s, B-58s, XB-70, DC-3s, F-100s, F-104, that funny looking F8U-3 Crusader, and many more. He was there when the XB-70 crashed, and was friends with the pilot flying the F-104 that collided with it. He said that after the F-104 sliced off both tails of the XB-70, the big jet continued to fly along for 15 seconds or so like nothing unusual had even happened. But then, of course, it began a sickening roll and never regained control.

HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I just ordered this one...
    Great book. You will enjoy it!

Two arrived from Amazon today. Folded Wings, A History of Transocean Air Lines and Ernie Gann's autobiography, A Hostage to Fortune.

Gann's books are unrivalled. What a storyteller.....

Added two more Haynes manuals to the collection, the Avro Vulcan: http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...1201&langId=-1

and the SR-71 Blackbird: http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...5055&langId=-1
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Found this today in the stacks at the local reseller; Messerschmitt Aircraft Designer by Ishoven.

Not so much interested in over documented WWII models like the 109 etc. This book has a decent history on the lesser known early 1930 civil and military designs.

Just finished this one. I initially put it down after about a quarter way through. The author writes with a sarcastic style that makes it look like he has an "ax to grind" against Pan Am. The book is about Pan Am's slow decline, starting in the 1970s, until they ceased to exist in the 1990s. The title, "skygods", is how he refers to the "old timers" at Pan Am, the "Masters of Ocean Flying Boats" who were held up as, well, you get it the idea. But by the jet age they were also, in the author's opinion, "old curmudgeons" who didn't "get" the idea of crew coordination, and wouldn't tolerate any dissenting opinions, or even comments, from co-pilots. Ok, this was true, in some cases...

But last week I had nothing to read so I picked it back up and finished it. It was actually quite good. Lots of interesting stuff about how "deregulation" found Pan Am unprepared to cope with the new environment. And after Trippe retired, Pan Am went through several different leaders of varying "stature" and capability. And in 1989, only a few years before the end, Pan Am flight 103 was destroyed over Lockerbie Scotland, in what one Pan Am pilot said was "the day the heart of Pan American died".

Anyhow, I'm glad I finished it. It was ok. Three of five stars.

This one turned out to be way more interesting than I thought it would be. It's more a "corporate history" of US air carriers, after "deregulation". How the CEOs of the major airlines brutally competed with each other after the demise of the CAB in the late 1970s. One of the more interesting aspects of this story, to me, was the computer based reservation systems that United and American Airlines developed, in the 1980s! The American system was called "Sabre", and United's was called "Apollo." In both cases, these companies contracted with travel agencies to connect with their own system. Both these systems were able to make reservations with any airlines in the world, but both had sneaky and sophisticated ways of "steering" customers to their own airline. By 1993, from the book:

"...In a cavern in Oklahoma, behind a retina-scanning security device, the mainframes of Sabre were now connected to 200,000 reservations terminals around the world, handling as many as 3,600 transactions per second— the largest privately owned real-time network ever built, with every screen ringing up a fee on every reservation processed for another airline..."

All this before the "interwebs". Astonishing.

Added two more Haynes' manuals to my library :The Avro Lancaster and the Panavia Tornado. Love these books, fun to read and plenty of good photos and information.
    The only downside is that I counted at least 38 different volumes at the shop, I'm up to five now..

I've been reading this one lately

Fw 200 Condor by Jerry Scutts

I got it mainly for the early Fw 200A propliners, but it extensively covers the maritime patrol version as well. A keeper for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Condor.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Started this one today and got about 80 pages into it. So far, it's the history of the Northern Pacific war with the Aleutians, Kurile Islands and points in between. I've just got to the point where the PV-1 Venturas entered the fray...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41omTF3pB8L._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg  

Here's one I had to add to my already overstocked bookshelfs:

Have read the first three chapters, and so far I like it. Very thorough and well written.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 125826_0.jpg  

I'm always looking for books that tell a personal story of aviation. Of these two, An Ace of the Eighth was a little dry, while Check Six! was more interesting, with more airplane stuff. For example, Curran explains that the P-47 had this little valve on the cockpit floor that was used to equalize the pressure in the two hydraulic systems. If you forgot to do that when landing, the flaps on one side would come down slower than those on the other, or not at all. This, or course, would make the landing experience very interesting indeed.

I've read many books by or about fighter pilots in WW-II, and it's never been remarkable to read that fighter pilots look down upon pilots who fly anything else. Fortier, in Ace, does not disappoint, referring to DC-3 and bomber pilots as "truck drivers". It wasn't until becoming a member of this site that I started reading a lot of books about the transports, prop liners, Ferry Command, etc. Books recommended by Moses03, Willy, srgalahad, and others. In these books one finds that hot shot fighter pilots can't get jobs flying "trucks" after the war because they don't have enough multi-engine experience. Poetic justice? Maybe a little. So I was impressed with one part of Check Six! In which Jim Curran, P-47 pilot, tells of his squadron acquiring a old P-70 that they turned back into an A-20 by removing all the guns, armor, and black paint. They used it for their "executive transport" and beer runs to Australia. Curran says he loved that plane. He then relates how one of his hot shot squadron mates wrecked the A-20 only a month later in a landing accident. In his opinion, the A-20 was too complex an airplane for a fighter pilot to handle!

Oh, and in both books, the author's squadron transitioned from P-47s to P-51s. And in both cases, the reaction was negative. "What? You're taking my Thunderbolt away and I have to fly P-51s? This is outrageous!" Lolol.
    HP Reverb G2

This is a great read. Author flew Cessna 206s, 402s, BN-2 Islanders, and Twin Otters in and around the mountains of PNG for a couple decades, and went on to drive Air Buses for Cathay Pacific. Each night when I resumed reading I had to go back a chapter, because by the time I put it down the evening before I was half asleep. While not a WW-II history nut, he knew enough to point out to us dear readers when he flew over old WW-II airfields, saying how he could still see the revetments from the old airfield a couple miles away from the one he was flying into. This sent me off to Google Earth to see if I could find them. Very cool.

HP Reverb G2

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    One of my favorite books for a CFS3 fan. World War II Fighting Jets by Jeffrey Ethell and Alfred Price Airlife Publishing 1994

Picked up a used copy of 'The lost squadron' by David Hayes at a armour event today. Looks like a good book.

Found another book on Fw 200A Condor airliners and just now ordered it. Only place I've found it is out of Norway so I expect that I'll have a bit of a wait on it.

Apparently the Danes thought more of the Condor than they did the DC-3. It was more technologically advanced, faster and longer ranged. And parts were available next door in Germany. Can't say as I blame them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Danish Condor.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Late present from Santa: Vultee Aircraft 1932-1947 by J. Thompson. (Same author of Italian Civil and Military Aircraft 1930-1945).

Moses,

I know this was an old post but I am looking for info on the XP-54. Do you have any good stuff?

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Check your PM's Milton.

I just finished this one. What a great read. It's been out since 1979, but I just found it. The author flew F4U Corsairs in the Royal Navy, off HMS Illustrious in the Indian Ocean and Pacific. The RN sent him to the US to be trained as a pilot by the US Navy in Pensacola. He flew Fulmars in Africa for a while before transitioning to Corsairs and the carrier fleet. I've been reading books like this since I could read, and this one is in the top five. What a great story teller! At times hilarious, sad, and tragic.

HP Reverb G2

Ye Olde London Airport

Just picked up this nice little 1950s book at last weekend's Newark Air Museum Aeroboot sale:

The dealer was also selling this:

Which to buy?

Well of course it was a No-brainer and I bought them both.

No dates, but they are clearly either side of 1958 when the Comet 4 came into service (the Free Model was, of course, long gone).

There'll be lots of fun at the Cal Classic versions of London Airport with these books!

I find I'm only allowed four images at a time now, so afraid the rest of this thread (which I just spent nearly an hour writing) will have to wait to be posted later...

Anyway, nice to be back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0010.jpg   scan0003.jpg   scan0004.jpg   scan0004.jpg   scan0007.jpg   scan0014.jpg  

scan0005.jpg   scan0006.jpg   scan0012.jpg   scan0013.jpg  
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander