Visiting air museums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting air museums

Home for tea and tiffin! BeauBrummie's Avatar

Visiting air museums

As I hit the big 50 on Monday, I'm off to my first visits to Duxford and the De Havilland Heritage Centre at the weekend. I'll be dragging the family with me. Fortunately Louise is quite into history as are the kids through school. But whether or not they can take a whole day at Duxford on Saturday remains to be seen! We'll be fitting in a visit to the in-laws in north London too as they've not been well recently. I've been on their websites to familarise myself with their collections and I'm quite excited!

I'll post any good photo's next week

TTFN

Beau

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAUBRUMMIE'S CFS3 WEBSITE
    The Mosquito DBKF DH98 PROJECT
    Check out my YouTube video's
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Duxford is a wonderful museum to visit especially in the summer as they often have some of the aircraft flying. I was lucky enough to see Black 6 flying when I first went in '95/96 (I cant remember the exact year). Have a lovely weekend and a great birthday!

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauBrummie View Post
    As I hit the big 50 on Monday, I'm off to my first visits to Duxford and the De Havilland Heritage Centre at the weekend. I'll be dragging the family with me. Fortunately Louise is quite into history as are the kids through school. But whether or not they can take a whole day at Duxford on Saturday remains to be seen! We'll be fitting in a visit to the in-laws in north London too as they've not been well recently. I've been on their websites to familarise myself with their collections and I'm quite excited!

I'll post any good photo's next week

TTFN

Beau
    Well, Beau, Happy Birthday, bud, and have lots and lots of fun. Hey, ya gotta be the "kid in the candy store" for once and be sure to take it all in, if possible.:d

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Quote Originally Posted by chriseponymous View Post
    Duxford is a wonderful museum to visit especially in the summer as they often have some of the aircraft flying.
    yes, absolutely!!

I've been there twice. Each time, I was at the opening and each time, I was not able to see everything at the end of the day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Take a camera! As Led says, you could use the whole weekend just with Duxford and still have things left to look at in detail. And you have PM.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Visiting US Air Force Museum

I just returned from the US Air Force museum in Dayton, Oh. My son and I had a wonderful time. My father was a navigator in a B24-j flying out of England. They had a B24 D called the Strawberry Bitch. Every plane you could imagine was displayed. From Wright Brothers through F22. We spent 2 days there and that wasn't enough time. The museum is next to Wright Patterson AFB so there was active runways to see.

Freddie

Wishing you a happy birthday is purely a formality! You lucky, lucky barstard!

(Yes, I do know how to spell it, but the Bowdlerisation program won't let me...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

I've spent 2 weeks in Cincinnati in 2003 for work. During the week-end, we decided to go to Chicago, I was the only one who wanted to visit the US Air Force museum.
    We've heard a fantastic blues show in Chicago and the frozen Michigan Lake was something funny to see (it was in February) but I still have regrets today for not having visited this museum.

Well, I hope I'll have to go back to GE Cincinnati on day, I don't want to miss a such opportunity twice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

It's well worth it. I visited a few years ago. Lots of interesting things to see!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Hello everyone.

What a top weekend. Two 5 star museums for completely different reasons. Duxford's scale and collections was awesome (I don't use that term lightly). High points? There were many, but for now two stand out. To be able to walk around the Sunderland and boy that is a big flying boat! I hope Ted's got the fixed guns in place on his model ;-) and second was to be able to walk around and under the B-52, that is one massive aircraft. I dragged my family around for 6 1/2 hours! Bless Louise for holding the kids together. Light hearted moment was seeing the Para-dog in the Airborne Troops memorial exhibition. Yes they did parachute dogs in behind the beaches at D-day. this one survived to be dropped behind the Rhine later on in '45!

Then their was the De Havilland Heritage Trust Museum. After Duxford, that felt more like "Do you want to see what I've got in my shed!". But it was the most interactive museum ever. The staff of volunteers were so informal and friendly that the guy in the shop who took my cash invited me to "touch feel and lick(!) a Mossie. Yes I touched and felt and put my head up several hatches and bomb bays of the B35 and MkVI. I was also able to stroke a Molins 57 cannon, boy that's deadly looking weapon.

I'm downloading photo's off my camera soon and I'll post ASAP.

Beau

Check out my website for info on CFS3, the Mosquito, Coastal Command, Coastal Forces and hosting 3rd Party Add-Ons.
    BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Can't really comment on both events - it's been too long since I visited any air museum and turning 50 is something I hope to postpone for quite a few years - but nevertheless I wish you a very fine day and lots of years to come!! Happy Birthday mate!! :birthday2

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Sounds fantastic! I am green with envy...!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Actually Nigel it was very nearly even better at DHAMT. On chatting to chap in the shop this old guy called Reg came in and had the appearance of a gardener (green wellies, apron etc) and asked for "the keys to the poly tunnel". Later in the shop when I was spending birthday money on another Mossie book, The Long Road to the Sky: Night Fighter over Germany, the chap took my money and said, " Oh you ought to get Reg to sign it it was a Mossie navigator (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), have a look for him he's usually lighting bonfires under the Comet". Despite looking around again neither my brother in-law or I could fing Reg, though we found his bonfire (not under but a yard away from the Comet nose section). My brother-in-law lives 20 mins away, I may be visiting a lot.

Beau

BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Happy Beaurthday, old chap! :ernae:
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Oh ha ha! I like the Happy Beaurthday! However mate I was unable to find the Typhoon cockpit or any mention of the Sea Hornet in the Collection.

BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Oh bother. I'll have to wangle a visit myself.
    Tom

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by freddienet View Post
    I just returned from the US Air Force museum in Dayton, Oh. My son and I had a wonderful time. My father was a navigator in a B24-j flying out of England. They had a B24 D called the Strawberry Bitch. Every plane you could imagine was displayed. From Wright Brothers through F22. We spent 2 days there and that wasn't enough time. The museum is next to Wright Patterson AFB so there was active runways to see.

Freddie
    Freddienet, if you've got Firepower, or can get it, this may be of interest to you: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...wnloads_search The only "bad" thing is, it's a B-24J, and not a "D".:d

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

I didnt realise it was your birthday Jeff, many happy returns, hope the weekend went well although it wounds like it did. The De Havilland Heritage Trust Museum is where they let me and Kev aka NSS climb into the B35 for our mossie project. have they got any further with the FB they have there? i really wanna go back there if i can this year as i loved it and the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful.

I loved the place Dave and I'm going to put up some photos soon as I organise them (I took loads of course). Everywhere you looked there was something to see and touch. I was particularly impressed by seeing the Molins on a bench, it's a wicked looking thing. They even had some glass panels from that ugly target tower thing. Yes the relaxed friendly atmosphere was wonderful and to be able to touch the aircraft was surprisingly emotional.

Hope you're keeping well Dave.

Jeff

BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

So that would be these then....

My daughter is off to University at Hendon this year.. Can see dad going down to see her quite alot.

The mossie Museum is only 15 mins from her....

Wow, Dave is still around..Long time matey. Can you believe that it is 2 years since we went..

Quote Originally Posted by NSS View Post
    Wow, Dave is still around..Long time matey. Can you believe that it is 2 years since we went..
    That would be a yes mate and i cant believe its been 2 years, it all started when i needed photos of the control tower and you went and took shed loads for me and mailed them to me.

i try to get on every evening now even if its only for an hour.

Miss talking to alot of you though.

Dave

...any model building Dave? Iknow you've had a full year, but I just wondered if the DBKF DH98 Poject is still a going concern.

BEAU'S CFS3 MOVIES

Quote Originally Posted by BeauBrummie View Post
    ...any model building Dave? Iknow you've had a full year, but I just wondered if the DBKF DH98 Poject is still a going concern.
    It is mate, slow but hope to get it there asap. hopeing to have some new screenies soon.

dave

More work for me then....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave(Dangerous)Boynton View Post
    It is mate, slow but hope to get it there asap. hopeing to have some new screenies soon.

dave
    Good!
    Tom