Landing Weight: 114829,8 lbs
    Fuel Used: -2153,6 lbs
    Flight Time: 0:55:25

Penalties:
    EHAM-EGLL 38.86 min - Landing 1829.8 lbs overweight

Night flights: EHAM-EGLL
    Commercial centers: EGLL

Call that Propliner 101...

1. Lost engine #3 2/3 through the climb. Can the fuel line rupture if Aux pumps are left to high during the climb?

2. Wrecked hydraulic system extending the gear.

3. Some serious miscalculation on payload. About 2000 lbs too much payload... have to remember to reduce payload by reserve fuel ...

These planes are _sensitive_ I think I'll better exactly follow the Checklist next time. Should also have done a few more test flights I guess...
    Anyway, good fun and a good challenge. And the plane is still in one part (almost).

Quote Originally Posted by teson1 View Post
    1. Lost engine #3 2/3 through the climb. Can the fuel line rupture if Aux pumps are left to high during the climb?
    I seriously doubt it. Fuel pressures (guessing for the Connie) are going to be in the 10's of psi. Modern Hose ratings run upwards of 3000 psi. 60 years ago my guess these hoses would easily be rated in the 100's of psi if not higher. Maybe someone with experience/knowledge will know for sure. Or maybe the manual says something about the Aux Pumps? :-P

My first guess would be excessive manifold pressure and then e.g. causing detonation (and consequently burning holes or outright melting piston heads).

2. Wrecked hydraulic system extending the gear.
    Heed your Vlo (Max. Lndg. Gear Operating Speed)

These planes are _sensitive_ I think I'll better exactly follow the Checklist next time. Should also have done a few more test flights I guess...
    Following the Checklist precisely is always a good thing. Since this is a Flight Sim, I have developed my own (abbreviated) checklist for the Stratocruiser (and the co-pilot is always there to warn me of a Turbine Bearing getting too hot :-P ). I would say these planes are bit more intolerant of operating outside operating specs. Read and Heed the Vspeeds and Operating Limitations, keep things in the green and be "smooth / gentle" and things work out well.

Good to see you "at it" and Have Fun!

These things are not Shockwave P-51H's. The numbers are realistic, really mean something and there can be dire results for running excessive speeds and power settings.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    These things are not Shockwave P-51H's. The numbers are realistic, really mean something and there can be dire results for running excessive speeds and power settings.
    Chief pilot teson1 loves it!
    Engineer teson1 hates Chief pilot!

Tons-o-Fun

Wow Gunter,

Welcome to the race. Talk about bustin' out of the "gates".......

I'd say you already won in the "Havin' a Ball" class on just one leg! Whew

No need to try to catch up from starting late. It's you against youself as much as anything else. Trying to best your last flight each time you start a new one.

To heck with where anybody else is on the map, You want to squeeze out the very best of Your aircraft, piloting and planning skills.

Don't let the "duenna" seem like a fuse as it does in the RTW setting. It's just a recorder or a secretary that keeps track of what you need to use to figure how to plan for the next leg,,,,,it's your friend not your enemy (time).

Yes it's a race, but we are competeing in a lot of categories,,,payload, time, fuel (don't even get me started with this..:isadizzy and remember you have passengers onboard you're trying to interest in buying fares for your (hopefully) new routes to South America as well as shippers with tons of cargo (spelled Mucho Dinero in airline terms).

You also have the big advantage of being able to learn from the others that have gone ahead of you. See what has worked others and aim for that while trying to come up with an even better combination.

Alright Capt'n steady as she goes ....make it the best not the fastest per say.

Wish I could do aircraft paints and what-not like the team from McHaley's Naval ,,,I'd have you flying a Hornet with chairs bolted to the wings and pax wearing googles and all of the baggage and cargo strapped underneath burning a hole through the skies of Europe..... Perhaps with the canopy off and googles yourself!

Won't even begin to say anything about having fun as you are setting the bar.

Fare Well for the rest of the flights my friend,,,and once again Welcome!

:ernae:
    salt_air

Read the reference materials in the connie real close. They modeled engine damage into it. If you run it flat out or at take off power for more than two minutes it will pop one or more of the engines. Also pay attention to fuel management. There is a chart in the aircraft forlder. It is very important that you manage the fuel correctly or you will run out of fuel for engines 2 and 3.

BTW welcome to the Mayhem
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

EGLL to LFPB

Takeoff

Takeoff Weight: 115000 lbs
    Declared Payload: 30693 lbs

Landing

Landing Weight: 112551.5 lbs
    Fuel Used: -2412.3 lbs
    Flight Time: 0:53:18

Night flight #2

Penalties: None

Uneventful night flight. Got slightly disoriented over the channel, but managed to hit the french side after all

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowF...ykxqQB5SzrhUmg

Keep it up "G"

Nice going Gunter,,,

Some good screen shots too!

Looking good ,,,,,,,one leg at a time....

Cheers,
    salt_air

Thanks.
    And I did have a closer look at that checklist (and regular nervous looks at the gauges) for this one.
    Gunter

Lfpb lsgg

Have to make a stop to visit some family in geneva.

Takeoff

Takeoff Weight: 115463 lbs
    Declared Payload: 30893 lbs
    Fuel: 4663.3 lbs

Ladies and gentlemen, please excuse the delay...

Flight delayed. After landing in Geneva I realised that I had forgotten to start the Duenna... Return to start and fly again.

Anyway, it was a beautiful morning flight, so no problem to fly again. I just like that area. And it will get even better next one, approaching the really high mountains.

Luckily there's no virtual FAA - man, would I get busted... :violent:
    The direct approach to the airport requires crossing the Jura mountains - here by the Col de la Faucille (sickle pass) and to drop down to the AP on the shores of Lac Leman.

Our passenger seems not to have appreciated the views ...
    I wonder why ... was beautiful ...

Landing

Landing Weight: 112805.3 lbs
    Fuel Used: -2649.8 lbs
    Flight Time: 0:57:45

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowF...nkv2SP5qtfKcKA

Lsgg liml

Wohoo...
    looking forward to this flight through the alps.
    Hope our passenger will enjoy this one...

Takeoff

Takeoff Weight: 114898 lbs
    Fuel: 4098 lbs

Wohoo...
    looking forward to this flight through the alps.
    Hope our passenger will enjoy this one...

Takeoff

Takeoff Weight: 114898 lbs
    Fuel: 4098 lbs
    Keep up the good work!

Best of luck to you and the crew!

salt_air

Nice views flying over Mont Blanc with France VFR scenery. Our passenger has definitely appreciated. Pilot as well. Have to send the shots for development and coloration (don't have one of these new fancy color cameras that currently everybody is starting to use) and will pin to the board in the Alvear later.

Landing

Landing Weight: 112907.6 lbs
    Fuel Used: -1982.8 lbs
    Flight Time: 00:40:22

We are providing special service to our customers - real close looks at the scenery

Liml lfmn

Passenger is in a hurry - wants to have a dip in the mediterranean. So here's anotherone.

Takeoff

Takeoff Weight: 114872 lbs
    Fuel: 4072 lbs

Uneventful flight. Now let's whip out our swim suits.

Landing

Landing Weight: 113011.1 lbs
    Fuel Used: -1854.1 lbs
    Flight Time: 00:38:40

Penalties: 00:00:14 (11.1 lbs over MLW)

Signing out for a vacation.
    Those days in Nice have given me ideas. I'll spend two weeks on the beach before continuing.
    I'll finish this event at my pace after my return. Don't wait for me for the finals.
    See you.
    Gunter

Have Fun!

Signing out for a vacation.
    Those days in Nice have given me ideas. I'll spend two weeks on the beach before continuing.
    I'll finish this event at my pace after my return. Don't wait for me for the finals.
    See you.
    Gunter
    Enjoy yourself well my friend!

Have fun!

:ernae:
    salt_air

Lfmn lppt

My starting email didn't post ( Internet connection) - so here's the full monty.

Back from a great vacation on France's atlantic coast with the kids. Sun, sand, surf what could one ask for? A little flight for a change maybe?

This one is from Nice to Lisbon.
    Nice weather, but battling a headwind that forced a low flight barely above the pyrenees mountains.

It will take me another 10 days to Buenos Aires at least. Don't wait for me with the celebrations, but leave me a bottle or two.

Takeoff

Takeoff Weight: 121207 lbs
    Fuel: 10408 lbs

Landing

Landing Weight: 112954 lbs
    Fuel Used: -8227 lbs
    Flight Time: 3:24:37

Penalties: 0

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowF...td7b0awDam0L98

teson, looks like it's you and me bringing up the rear. Good Luck!

Yippee!!! On we go...

Thanks for the hard work getting the server up again!:ernae:

Would have been kind of lame to be stranded in Lisbon (though it's not the worst city to be stranded in).
    The show can go on.

I've progressed to south america meanwhile. 3 legs to go.

Here's a fast summary:

Times, weights and fuel data are in the attached excel list, you may want to check for accuracy though.
    (Comments on GOOY SBRF see below)

- LPPT CGXO
    Lisbon Tenerife

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowF...K372SfwMxYta3M

- GCXO GOOY
    Tenerife - Dakar

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowF...mfFhNsxP3wA4Dk

- GOOY SBRF
    Dakar Recife

No Duenna!!

Did I say that there was a Duenna error (error window popup that prevented Duenna from starting), and that Duenna didn't auto pickup the baton, and that I realised that only after landing in SBRF, and that I was ped...!
    So I don't have full validation of the flight.
    I will NOT fly that leg again. That has also something to do with spouses and kids getting impatient, but I won't go into more details about that...
    Also, I think I'll put a big poster above my monitor -"Check Duenna - Check Duenna - Check Duenna"

I'll add some screenshots supporting times and weight later, but in the end, if the flight doesn't qualify, no problem if I'm out of the "competition".

After all, it's been a really interesting and fun trip, learning a tremendous amount of new stuff along the way, getting to new places, first trip across the ocean, even causing heartbeat to accelerate over the ocean or in the fog looking for the airport, and finally optimising all parameters to fly this as well/fast/efficient as possible has been a good challenge in itself.

- SBRF SBRJ
    Recife Rio

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowF...Eef9Jzl9G70bRs

Totals:

Total distance 5947.8 nm
    Total flight time 24.43 hrs
    Total Fuel 62,261.6 lbs
    Penalties 0.65 hrs
    9 Commercial centers: EGLL, LFPB, LSGG, LIML, LFMN, LPPT, GOOY, SBRF, SBRJ
    2 Night flights: EHAM EGLL, EGLL LFPB

Note: Can not upload the Duenna JPG files to this post - will post separately.