Tall Tales at the Alvear - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tall Tales at the Alvear

Nice to Lisbon

After looking over the previous reports, we knew there would be a persistent headwind most of the way. Took her up to 17,000' for awhile but the going was slow. Decided to head back down to about 11,000' or so and sure enough we were able to keep a steady cruise with less headwind and without too much fuel stress. Ended up at 15,000' to finish out.

The crew played rock, paper, scissors to see where we would go next...

A dawn departure from Brisbane into favourable tailwinds. Fuji certainly is an artist and has done the company proud with his paint schemes.
    The descent into New Caledonia was smooth in spite of the building cumulus and the smoke from the ever-present fires once again obstructed visibility but arrival was almost perfect. It seems the plan to have a second aircraft following along with mechanics and spares will turn into a holiday junket - at company expense!!, but best to be prepared and it's nice to have someone to chat with on those long ocean hops. Better than to get disoriented and suffering hallucinations like those QANTAS chaps...

Resting up in a nice bro... hotel in preparation for what Boss McHale calls a wildcard... whatever that is.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    ... disoriented and suffering hallucinations like those QANTAS chaps...
    "Qantas Empire Airways would like to take this opportunity to reassure the travelling public that we know where we are going!"

Made the flight from Atlanta to Miami. The Stratoliner is doing better than I thought it would. Now to round up 33 extra life preservers and parachutes to rent to the passengers.....

And thinking of safety for a moment...

McHale's Airlines is proud to say that
    "When you fly McHale's, Mae West is there with you!"

as opposed to the the equipment that others seem to be using...

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Miami, Havana, and now Kingston. How lucky can you get? It's been a wonderful tour of tropical paradises so far, and I can't wait to check out Jamaica.

The locals have warned me to stay away from this island called Crab Key. Seems there's a man who lives there who doesn't take well to trespassers...but I wonder if he'd mind a fly-by?

[YOUTUBE]E5jjYLsh1V4&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]

SOH-CM-2017

I'd like to thank the Evita Event Organizers for.....

.... San Juan Isla Grande (TJIG).

It was a challenge to get my full payload out of this airport. Only 5300' of runway and the take off on rwy 27 obstructed by a cargo container ship just beyond the runway threshold. Rwy 9 obstructed by buildings.

Very nice....

Nice short flight to Nassau in the Bahamas (MYNN) until time to descend into the thunderstorm that was over the island. Then things got real "interesting". But it all worked out good in the end.

Got a few pics...

1) From looking at this Pan Am Sikorsky, you'd think Juan Trippe could afford some new airplanes

2) Leaving Miami behind

3) Parked at Nassau

By arrangement with Air France in Paris, the team took the route along the coast to honor the early days, some fifteen years ago, when Aéropostale flew the mails from France to South America. Here we flew from Casablanca to Agadir to Port-Étienne.

Here is a bit on Saint-Exupéry's second time around in North Africa, after serving as the chief in Buenos Aires.
    (1931) …Now in a Laté 26 he began to fly the mail from Casablanca south to Port-Étienne, leaving Morocco late on a Sunday afternoon and adhering to a tight schedule down the coast, one that provided the rites by which he lived for a good part of the next two years. At Agadir he and the mail changed aircraft; the relay plane was up and running on their arrival. In his ten minutes of ground time Saint-Exupéry chatted with the mechanics as he gulped down an hors d'oeuvre of chocolate followed by a plate of fried eggs, a banana, and a glass of wine. Alexandre Baïle, the chief of the airfield, provided a word on the weather and—the mail having been transferred—saw to it that the pilot made a prompt departure. As the sun set over the desert Saint-Exupery forged on to Juby, three and a half hours to the south. Here another plate of fried eggs awaited him; in his ten minutes on the ground he traded memories with the Spanish officers who still occupied his former home. …

Through the night the Latécoère continued on toward Port-Étienne, overflying Villa Cisneros to drop, quite literally, the mail, whereupon the chief of the airfield waved the plane on from the ground. With the dawn, Saint-Exupéry arrived at Port-Etienne, having flow for nearly twelve hours, a period of duty and under conditions that would be abhorrent to any member of the pilots' union today. His stay in Port-Étienne lasted until the end of the week, when—the Buenos Aires mail having been sent up from Dakar—the trip would be repeated in reverse, landing Saint-Exupéry in Casablanca on Sunday morning, in time for an early breakfast of warm croissants and cafés au lait. (From Saint-Exupéry by Stacy Schiff)
    -Mike

Here is a small bit of the Aéropostale flying—which had become so routine that Saint-Exupéry lamented the loss of danger and thus the visceral sense of living.
    For most of this period he was teamed up with a Corsican radio operator named Jacques Néri, as brilliant a match as could have been made. A 1929 recruit, Néri was a hugely talented radio-navigator; his preferred means of communication was drawing, however. Not only was this easier to understand, he felt, but it was aesthetically more interesting. ...

In Wind, Sand and Stars, it is with Néri that Saint-Exupéry has been drawn off course in the middle of a foggy night. No airport can tell the two men their bearings, which makes them feel as if they have "slipped beyond the confines of this world." The two set their cap on star after star, each time in the vain hope that they are actually headed toward an airport beacon. The first time the skies yield up a light, Néri, singing, begins to pound the fuselage with his fists. Lost in interplanetary space, hungry and thirsty, Saint-Exupéry dreams of the breakfast with which the two will celebrate if ever they return to earth; all the joy of being alive will be his in the first rich, burning mouthful of coffee. But the two remain hopelessly lost. When Néri asks that Cisneros blink its beacon three times, the light ahead "would not, incorruptible star, so much as wink." Finally Néri hands his pilot a scrap of paper. "All's well. Great news." He has received a transmission from Casablanca which he expects will save them. In fact the message has been delayed somewhere in the 1,250 miles of night sky and dates from the previous evening, when a government representative sent out word that Saint-Exupéry was to be disciplined on his return for having flown too close to the Casablanca hangars. He had indeed done so but was never happy to be reprimanded, least of all when he was lost on the company's behalf, in the night sky, in a dense fog, hoping for some more pertinent information. It was as if he had jumped overboard to save a shipmate and—upon asking from the open sea for a buoy—had been told that his socks were mismatched. (From Saint-Exupéry by Stacy Schiff)
    -Mike

Thanks Mike!

Really do enjoy all of these enlightening tid-bits Mike.

It' s good of ya to take the time to find them and then it's really good of ya to share them with us all.

Thanks!

Hey speaking of 1949......Do you remember these??
    salt_air

Made a short hop from Nadi International (NFFN) to Nausori (NFNA) today. “Loaded for bear” with coconut trees, sun tan lotion, beech umbrellas and beer. While a short flight, the folks at Nausori haven’t yet learned of this new invention called the chain saw… The trees were trimmed a bit close to the approach ends of the single 6000 foot runway. Had to come in a tad high, then dove for the runway, touching down way too far down. Then the prop reverser system picked that very moment to go on the fritz. Oh well, no worries. Made it just fine.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

STOL Connie

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    ... The trees were trimmed a bit close to the approach ends of the single 6000 foot runway.
    Yikes! I would have jumped out with one of the beach umbrellas if I had been faced with that. Nice one P!

Hey PRB,

Where Willy when you need him. Man, he can take care of those trees in a hurry. hehe

Nice landing P.

Casablanca to Atar

Nerveracking flight over the desolate stretches of the western Sahara. Trip started out fine but about 100 miles out a sandstorm blew in and sent visibility doen the drain. I feared the engines might start choking off from the sand but they held on thankfully. Took a very conservative approach at a lower alt all the way in.

Was on the ramp locking down the Connie last night and spied a Lockeed twin taxiing out. Grabbed the camera and snapped a shot as it took off. Neat little Electra 12.

SOH-CM-2017
    Started my tour of South America today. Most of the flight over the Atlantic but arrived at dusk in Guyane.

Well, we got the planes all washed and shipshape. While waiting for Dave's parts to arrive ( and apparently McHale is bringing them himself) I hung around the airport bar and ran into an interesting fellow. Ex- Italian Naval pilot, Mauricio apparently knew of McHale from Voltafiore, Italy while the boss was stationed there. Charming guy, he invited me to tag along on his morning mail run to the islands in a rather run-down Grumman Goose he'd bought. Had a great flight cruising low over the ocean - even spotted a couple of wrecked planes in one of the lagoons - Japanese, apparently. A couple of water landings - Mauricio says the land strips are too rough for a real plane. Saw some interesting spots that some day may make a nice place to open a bar and retire on the beach.

Eighty kilometres south-east of Noumea lies the enchanting Isle of Pines (14 km wide, 18 km long) a place where time seems to stand still in an idyllic setting of white beaches under swaying palms and soaring Araucaria pines.

Les Iles de Loyaute ( The Loyalty Islands)-- Lifou, Maré, Ouvéa... Three pearls set in the Pacific Ocean, as if displayed on velvet to protect their hidden treasures. Three islands whose secret beauty has been preserved, three visions of Paradise, so different and yet so near…

I guess we've got a couple more days here in paradise before it's back to the grind.. but even the pax don't mind

I really didn't look close at the allowed airports until after the race started other than a cursory glance. But when I started plotting out my route, I discovered a short cut that would cut out almost 900nm off the trip. Besides, I've been to Jamaica before anyway. So, leaving out of Miami, I cut over to Nassau and then down to Santa Domingo in the Dominican Republic, leaving Havana and Kingston out of it. I almost paid dearly for it though when I got to Santa Domingo.

First off, there was heavy t-storms over the town and airport. Not to mention a thick fog. And the airport is a tiny thing. Moses is always calling the Stratoliner "the Whale" and it's not really that big a propliner, but it was such a tight fit at the airport, that I don't think a Connie would fit. And on final, I had to fit the Strat down between the trees to make touchdown on Runway 1 and still have enough runway to stop on. I'm just glad my night flights are over with and I didn't have to try to put down in that little hole at night. Who ever picked that one for this event, was trying to set someone up! A Connie or a Stratocruiser would have a fun time getting into here.

Now, the question is can I make it back out of here??? :isadizzy:

Edit: Just did a little googling on Herrera Intl.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The airport began commercial operations in 1973. The airport formally closed on February 22, 2006, and the airport was handed over to the military so they could block the runway
    An International airport with a 4000ft runway just strikes me as misleading somehow.

The old guy in the corner of the bar tilts his hat downward, shifts his gaze back to the Racing Form...and smiles quietly.
    -Mike

Back in the heady days of the Golden Age of Aviation the 'big boys' of the established international carriers often used political influence ($$) and other nefarious means to prevent interlopers from entering into competition. I suppose they'd not be above leading the unwary into dangerous traps even in this post-war renaissance to protect their "territory"...

Strange, but those pictures on the desk in the back room... the one of the 'fishing buddies'.. look curiously like Pan American's Juan Trippe and a couple of European fellas... hmmm..

Interesting take off from Herrera Intl (MDHE). I took off from as far back as I dared and if the trees at the other end hadn't of been cleared out a bit, I'd have been making toothpicks. As it was I just barely did get out of there with a full load of passengers. Did manage to get a few picks of the take off.

Started out with routine everything. From Port-Étienne a smooth takeoff into the wind and climb to FL180 for fast cruise south to Dakar. All was good with the sense of serenity that comes with flying above the weather below. Then the descent into what the "weather guessers" described as CAVOK skies at Dakar.

But at 6,000 ft the visibility dropped suddenly. Flying and waiting for ADF to come alive...and waiting and waiting. Finally, dropped down to 3,000 to see the coastline below. Turned west and simultaneously picked up the weak signal. Ouch.

Made for Dakar but misaligned the initial approach—ended up circling the city to set up for Rwy 36. Gave the pax a guided tour of all the sights...

Dakar, here in Senegal, is the administrative capital for all of French West Africa which ranges a thousand miles north and two thousand miles east of here. Rather a firm no-nonsense colonial rule from all accounts. There is talk of giving some of the colonies some weak form of self rule—but nothing serious yet.

Mostly, the local administration has made limited attempts to civilize the local agricultural areas and to reach out to the almost entirely nomadic interior—providing modest medical and educational facilities. Railway lines have been built and port facilities developed. But the payoff in terms of agricultural exports has hardly justified the effort.

The lure of the Sahara nowadays lies in its vast mineral riches. However, as one more deeply considers the possibilities...
    With a sense of reverent awe the man-in-the-street feels the wealth of the Sahara trickling through his fingers like an endless string of pearls: oil, natural gas, iron, copper, manganese… diamonds and uranium. These words have a magical ring in his hears. He confuses geology with economics. He mistakes hopes for realities. He overlooks the fact that it is sometimes too costly even to stoop and pick up the treasures in or under the sand, that mineral ores cannot be sold merely because they were extracted from this incredibly exciting desert but only if they can compete on the world market. He underestimates the unlimited liability which the wealth of the Sahara carries with it: endless, empty and almost barren space." Le Canard Enchainé (1958)
    Perhaps it is best to move on.

A couple of shots of the flight. And then a 1948 postcard featuring French West Africa and a couple of airmail stamps (one showing an aircraft circling over Dakar).
    -Mike

Easter Island east to Santiago

If you've ever flown close to 7 hours under race conditions you'll know that the milestones mean a lot to a driver. Here are some snaps of such moments. The first one is of Robinson Crusoe Island which is about 360 NM short of the coast, and which has a useful NDB. The second is of the coast of South America, a welcome sight believe me. And the third is a nice shot of the late afternoon light shining across the Santiago valley.

It's nice to make it all the way across the vast Pacific.

Hard to believe National's Carribbean Tour portion of the race is almost at an end. The sea around the islands are an unbelievable shade of blue, and the islands themselves are strikingly beautiful too. And to think, living in Miami, I'm just a few hundred nautical miles away from each of these beauties.

I'm so glad I got the night flights out of the way early, so I could enjoy the full splendor of the Caribbean in the daylight.

Some kodaks of the three-tailed beast during the most recent flight to Pago Pago. An uneventful flight, although I lost my 50 knot tail wind and traded it in for a 24 knot cross wind.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2