Remove smoke

Thread: Remove smoke

On Another Planet

Remove smoke

I recently decided to remove the contrails because they showed up on some planes that shouldn't have contrails. I deleted the contrail effects and textures and it seems to have worked pretty well. Now I see that there is a black smoke contrail on my Aerosoft F-16 when I am at a high altitude and I don't use Afterburner. it looks like this.
    http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1244682382
    So I was wondering if there was an effect or texture i could remove to premanately get rid of this smoke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

if its not already there you can add the following section to

[GeneralEngineData]

max_contrail_temperature = - 30

Ambient temperature, in celsius, in which engine vapor contrails will turn on. The default value is about -39 degrees celsius for turbine engines. For piston engines, the contrail effect is turned off unless a temperature value is set here.

max_contrail_temperature = -30
    change the setting to
    max_contrail_temperature = -60

Conversly if you want to add a smoke effect you can add one that is 30

Off the top of my head I dont know but I will offer a different piece of advice.

Never delete any stock effects/gauges/textures. Rename is you friend. You will be amazed how often it will come back to bite you.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Off the top of my head I dont know but I will offer a different piece of advice.

Never delete any stock effects/gauges/textures. Rename is you friend. You will be amazed how often it will come back to bite you.
    so true!
    H

On Another Planet
    I backed them up. it's ok. What happens if I delete the number altogether? if there is no entry will the contrail disapear? Also i'm not talking about contrails. If you look at the picture it is actually black smoke and i don't know why it is there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alternately, you can always put a "//" in front of any line in your .cfg file that you would like to edit out. Remove the quotes of course. This simply excludes the parameter from the code itself.

For example:
    // texture.1 blah blah blah

On Another Planet
    that would work for contrails but this is not a contrail. It is a trail of black smoke. Surely the plane doesnt emit black smoke when it is cruising?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Depends on the plane really, some were real 'smokers'
    Larry

From my experience, F-16s don't emit much in the line of smoke. Maybe a bit, which might be noticeable in a sharp turn (where it appears to have doubled up on itself), but generally it's not as consistent as you'd see on an F-4!

You could just rename the effect in the smokesystem section of the F-16's aircraft.cfg.

That contraill is coded, game does that to all planes after certain height as I recall ...if you comment out in Effects may work.

N332DW
    i dont have the aerosoft f-16 but i do have several planes that are "smokers"
    these aircraft use an xml gauge to control the black smoke.
    try poking around your panel.cfg file in notepad and look for something related to exhaust/smoke.

just like an aircraft.cfg file, lines can be "commented" out by placing // in front of the gauge.xx line where they are declared

the f16 should only have the smoke effect in afterburner otherwise it shiuld just be normal

Quote Originally Posted by peter12213 View Post
    the f16 should only have the smoke effect in afterburner otherwise it shiuld just be normal
    Not quite sure what you mean, but if there's any time that an aircraft shouldn't be smoking heavily is when it's in afterburner!

On Another Planet
    Ok so I have figured out how to permanately take out the black smoke but I was wondering if there was something I could do to make it so I can turn the black smoke off by using the "I" key which normally turns on smoke. Is there a way to put a value in the cfg to make it so I can turn the smoke effect on and off?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]