Simple air strips

Thread: Simple air strips

Simple air strips

I tried searching the forums for info about creating simple runways but couldn't turn up anything. Can some helpful soul point the way? I want to learn how to make and place real strips where FS has none, at least ones I can create from pictures. Thanks.

sandar
    Sorry aeromed, I can't help you, but I want to know the exact same thing.

I would like to add a temporary grass strip at Woburn Abbey to make a scenery for the annual Moth rally held there. The grass strip used is clearly visible on the VFR photoscenery.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    I tried searching the forums for info about creating simple runways but couldn't turn up anything. Can some helpful soul point the way? I want to learn how to make and place real strips where FS has none, at least ones I can create from pictures. Thanks.
    You'll need two programs to start:
    AFCAD2.1 by Lee Swordy (or if you want to expand and do both FS9 and FSX and get a terrific payware product "AFX").
    Scenery Builder

AFCAD will allow you to place the rwy, taxiways, ramp areas, etc and scenery builder will allow you to produce a flatten poly to level the ground out so the rwy and everything else afcad related will sit properly on the ground.

Having said that, right after I post this, you'll get a long list of every other program that will do this and more from everyone else that posts here. Some will agree with my choices, others will have their own, some programs will do both. It all has to do with personal preference and what you learned on and feel comfortable with. There is no wrong answer. So you can take my advice or wait for the other suggestions and make your own choice
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    You'll need two programs to start:
    AFCAD2.1 by Lee Swordy (or if you want to expand and do both FS9 and FSX and get a terrific payware product "AFX").
    Scenery Builder

AFCAD will allow you to place the rwy, taxiways, ramp areas, etc and scenery builder will allow you to produce a flatten poly to level the ground out so the rwy and everything else afcad related will sit properly on the ground.

Having said that, right after I post this, you'll get a long list of every other program that will do this and more from everyone else that posts here. Some will agree with my choices, others will have their own, some programs will do both. It all has to do with personal preference and what you learned on and feel comfortable with. There is no wrong answer. So you can take my advice or wait for the other suggestions and make your own choice
    that just about covers it, however you'll also need to exclude any 'native'
    autogen,certainly for the 'default' scenery, I use EXCBuilder (available at the usual places) and as an alternate to scenery builder one called FST_flatten

btw someone once posted that afcad can/does create its' own flatten area if you put a taxiway beneath the runway, don't know how true
    this is, not tried it myself.

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    . . . .btw someone once posted that afcad can/does create its' own flatten area if you put a taxiway beneath the runway, don't know how true this is, not tried it myself.
    ttfn
    Pete
    Interesting. . .I'll have to give that a try sometime.

Current System Specs:

Thanks folks keep it coming. Won't have time to play with it much over the coming days but if I get successful will consider a little how-I-did-it blurb. Plus of course anything I make that is decent.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    AFCAD is brilliant. Once you learn how to use it, you can create a runway almost anywhere in perhaps 3 min's.

To go a step further, you can then learn to do AI traffic and quickly populate an airstrip or airport and have some planes flying in and out of it.

So much you can do.....

I would think you should be able to ask questions here, but there are lots of designers at www.fsdeveloper.com that can ansere your questions also in their forums. (Also www.freeflightdesign.com).

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    ...btw someone once posted that afcad can/does create its' own flatten area if you put a taxiway beneath the runway, don't know how true
    this is, not tried it myself.
    ttfn
    Pete
    Yes, best to create a closed taxiway after runways etc are complete, make it perhaps a little wider than the runway, maybe dirt textured.
    Then you slide it underneath the runway and you have a flattened area with a nice shoulder to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Yes, best to create a closed taxiway after runways etc are complete, make it perhaps a little wider than the runway, maybe dirt textured.
    Then you slide it underneath the runway and you have a flattened area with a nice shoulder to it.
    Excellent info there Wing_Z, Thanks.

Current System Specs: