The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 544

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thank you, giruXX.

Now I'm going to be very naughty. I expect that, in consequence, my wrist will be slapped firmly. But here we go! What appears below is not - at least in the eyes of the relevant registration authority - what it appears to be - and, in all probability, is - but is an example of the idiosyncrasy of a particular country that has, more than once, vexed many who gather here. It dates back nearly seventy years and uses what, I assume, a relieving country left behind it in significant numbers. And it's still buzzing around the part of the world that has been its home for the greatest part of its life! And what's more, it's not the only one to have done likewise - but I promise that I won't use any more of them after this!

Enigmatique ? Moi ?

(Either he's been there too long or it's a particularly potent brew of le cidre this year......)

I can only assume it is one of the French cannibalised Cubs - don't really know how one is supposed to tell one Piper clone from another - how about the Pouillin JA-5A ?

Or am I barking up the wrong arbre ? Or maybe just barking ?

Now I could be a pedant as F-BAQC is registered as a (the?) Poullin PJ-5B. But what the heck, I'm in a good mood this morning. And did I mention the Babin BJ-3. Oh, hush ma mouth an' over to Lefty!
    Last edited by pomme homme; September 26th, 2016 at 23:20.

Thanks - glad you're in good fettle, Mike (must be the cider....)

Here's a wee chopper -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wphwns.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    Your wee chopper is the Pidek PJ-2B from Canada, by Polish-born Joseph Pidek. Two Ariel motorcycle engines (one each side). Flown 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Hi Mike
    Your wee chopper is the Pidek PJ-2B from Canada, by Polish-born Joseph Pidek. Two Ariel motorcycle engines (one each side). Flown 1962.
    Indeed, Walter. A one-off.....

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    A someahat unusual two-seater using the so called lifting body principle. Did leave the ground but had a sad history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lbwcwtc.jpg  

Er, it seems to be lacking some sort of propulsion ? Or is it out of Thunderbirds ?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    The picture may have been taken before full completion. She had a pusher engine/prop.
    Btw, the only pic I ever saw of her.

Which way is front?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi P H
    The side with the canard wings and nose wheel. Engine was a 78hp Revmaster/VW 2000. She was allocccated a registration, but have no idea where they put it (maybe it is not yet on in the pic).

The Jonas Hummingbird, just by chance ??
    _
    gX

'Captain, we're awfu' short of the dilithium crystals........'

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    hi giruXX
    By all chances, the Jonas Hummingbird (also seen spelled Humming Bird). Registration N14GJ
    Sadly involved in a fatal crash. If interested please google NTSB N14GJ

Thanks wout!

Here is another “almost flyer” for your assessment:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b5b5b5.jpg  
    _
    gX

Viv Bellamy's baby, the Bellamy Hilborne BH.1 Halcyon, G-ARIO. It revved its engines and charged up and down the runway at Eastleigh, but it never left the ground. Ultimately his baby was abandoned!

That's it! Over to Pomme homme
    _
    gX

Thank you, giruXX.

Now to assuage possible concerns by Lefty, this fragile little creature doesn't come from the Thunderbirds prequel or use a warp drive. As illustrated, it had no source of propulsion. It glid! But I'm informed reliably that subsequently it 'got the power' - a 400cc flat twin ABC motorcycle engine mounted on its nose - and flew with the aid of that. But no image of it, in that form, is known to exist. Posterity does not record what became of it. However its constructors went on to build another unusual aeroplane, which exists today and, apparently, is under restoration, to flying condition, by a descendant.

Last time I saw anything like that it was being 'flown' off the end of Worthing Pier........

SOH-CM-2023
    Is that the Brooklands banking in the background?
    Keith

I don't think so, Keith, as this aeroplane apparently was built in Nottinghamshire (there, I've disclosed its nationality!). So I don't think that it would have been putting in any appearances at any of the International Birdman competitions, on any of the south coast piers, which it pre-dates by a significant margin.

The Granger Brothers’ Linnet was built as a glider but was subsequently fitted with a small engine to enable it to fly as an unofficial and unregistered powered aircraft.
    _
    gX

more photos (incl. engine) are here: http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft33852.htm
    _
    gX

Well done, giruXX. That's the bird! Over to you.

The Granger brothers went on to build the Archeopteryx which, after being withdrawn from the custody of the Shuttleworth Trust, apparently has been undergoing restoration by Richard Granger, the son of one of the brothers, with the intemntion that it should fly again.

Here comes a floater that wasn’t built to float:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b6b6b6.jpg  
    _
    gX