The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 201

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Couldn't find it in FUNK & Wagnal's..

but this Kansas City kid is a Porterfield.
    So many small variations in windows and bits but it looks like a Model 65

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Rob, this girl's no Porterfield- she's much chubbier....

Go West young man.......'I wish they all could be ********** girls'......:naturesm:

OK, folks, even Wout has spurned this one - the Hockaday Comet from 1946.

A much easier floater..

No wonder I quit where I did... There's about as much interbreeding as a bad hillbilly joke...

Speaking of the Porterfield 35-70 an article says:
    The predecessor and genesis of this aircraft model was a depression-era design by Noel Hockaday called the Wyandotte Pup which was a high wing tandem seat light aircraft similar in appearance to a Taylorcraft. Shop students at Kansas City's Wyandotte High School built the Pup in 1932/33 as a shop exercise. Noel Hockaday had earlier worked for Ed Porterfield who purchased the Pup's design rights and called upon him to develop the design after the Pup flew. Porterfield established the Porterfield Aircraft Corporation specifically to build the developed design, hiring Noel Hockaday again as now Chief Engineer and plant General Manager. The resultant design was sold as the Porterfield 35-70 Flyabout.
    http://www.airport-data.com/articles...-Rev-1;32.html

The same cousin-kissin' must have occurred with the later P'fields and the Hockaday 130 lefty found and it spilled over to Rearwin (the vertical fin if the Hockaday, later P'fields and a couple of Rearwins all came from under the same rock:isadizzy: )

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Well at some stage the good Noel must have flitted to Burbank......

Seems like those ol' Mid-Western boys, if they weren't whittlin' on sticks or doing unspeakable things to cows, would take it upon themselves to build a AIRPLANE !!!

As for the interbreeding, I couldn't possibly comment.

Moses has kindly pointed out to this old retard that he posted the floater before, so to save you all looking it up again, (LeO 23) I'll give you another flivver.. I'm in a perverse mood these days.

Actually, you posted the LeO Mike.

The new one looks like a version of the Babcock L-13A Taube?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Actually, you posted the LeO Mike.
    Your Scottish correspondent is the old retard I was referring to......

Re the flivver, I'll concede a small sarsaparilla to our homebuild expert - actually this is the Bartlett Zephyr, last of the Babcock-Taube line, which mysteriously meandered from Washington through Ohio, Florida, and back to California. These guys got around. Rob seems to have known most of them personally so maybe he can enlighten us as to why they were harried from state to state ?

Enjoy..............

Not personally.. well, mostly not.
    However they were, in their time, probably social outcasts who banded together because no one else would buy them beer/wine/slivovic. One would have a Eureka moment and they would all take the parts and assemble them in various (and curious) order and try to foist them off on the flying public. Then they would have their falling-out moment and each would [LINESTRIKE]steal[/LINESTRIKE] appropriate the bits for a while until re-invited to join the brotherhood.

Dozens of cases like this, from the French, the Stearman/Beech gang, the ones noted above.. and all just a giant conspiracy to strain our eyes and brains. Speaking of.. what's next?

Okay, let's dig ourselves from the light plane morass...

I think this is the Latécočre Late 14.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Dave

Right on Dave. Over to you.

Well you did threaten us with a few native products, Dave ! This is the Hoffar H-1 from Vancouver.

It certainly is!!! One Canadian machine down, a few to go. Over to you.

Dave

Right, if I post another GA machine I'll have the Texas Rangers hunt me down, so here's something old and military...

Actually, I believe, the Descamps 27. C.1 was the French specification ?? Am open to debate on this, but it doesn't stop you getting the , Dave, after all, it's Friday !

You're right, the Descamps Type 27 C. 1! I should have checked my other sourrce before posting.

Now, how about this one?

Dave

Wackett Warrigal Mk.I

How about this....

Looks like another of those Oklahoma Specials - over to Moses !

Trying to decide if that is a Anzani engine.

From another angle....close relative of a VERY famous aircraft

This the prototype for the Ryan Brougham series or an offshoot? Found it over at the SDASM archives but they do not give a specific designation.