The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 16
Page 16 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242666116516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    No doubt that the Greek would have been mightily impressed by those Turkish two-cylinder armed ultralights! :costumes:
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Lockspeiser LDA-1. No ground attack version known. :d

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    for Lefty!

:ernae:
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Ta Ferry - that Lockspeiser hung around for a wee while when I put it up some time ago.

So did this one.......

I have been waiting for Lefty to break out the Ahrens AR 404.

Don't want to hold up the show so here is the next contestant. A nifty twin boom pusher...

And I have been waiting for Moses to roll out another pusher - especially one with a good Scottish name !
    This is the Campbell F.

Moses has either retired to bed or is still traversing the Sahara, so, as I know I'm right with the Campbell, we'll press on.

What is this, please ?

Right-o on the Campbell!

I spy a Millet-Lagarde ML-10.

Yes, another from the Gallic beauty parade indeed. . Dig those curvy booms !

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Dig those curvy booms !
    Oh baby :costumes:

Tri-motor anyone?

Not a lot to go on here - is it a Pander Postjager ?

No it isn't - gear doors are wrong.

Here is a better angle-

Fiat G.12?

Very similar looking but not a Fiat.

No takers? It is from Europe of course...

Edit: Going to be away until later in the day so I'm going to go ahead and move this along. The mystery is a Renard R-35. From what I understand it crashed on it's maiden flight when the controls locked up after takeoff. Didn't think it would be a stumper.

For the next one, how about this twin boomer?

The Renard hit a blank spot, although I'm sure you've posted it before.

Can't find any Belgian aviation books! It gets a mention in the 1937 Jane's - no pics - but disappears without trace from the 1938 !

This is a Schweizer RU-38A Twin Condor.

There can't be another aircraft that looks exactly like that, so I'll continue !

What is this unlikely-looking creature?

for Lefty on the Condor!

The steam jet looks like one of the Ambrosini (Aerfer) prototypes. Not sure at all though.

About 25 years later than the Ambrosini, Kevin, and not European.
    A very interesting research aircraft. Look at the first picture - where's the jet tailpipe ???

Something like a RAMJET? Looks to be a cross between a Doodlebug & a Cessna...definitely American.

The number of these things we look at & you think, 'Thank God I wasn't a test pilot for those idiotic designers!' :d
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Hurricane
    The experimental gives away the nationality. A ramjet would still need an exhaust, I'd have thought its an ordinary turbo jet, with the exhaust mounted under the fuselage, or possibly hidden by those mini wing thingys?

The only explanation I can think of for those is that it creates a kind of venturi effect between the main wing and the mini wing thus lowering the pressure on the top surface of the main wing, but since that wouldn't be likely to produce much lift from the mini wing I don't see it being too effective. It might allow flight at higher AoA though by giving more alpha before flow seperates and casues a stall (but equally might not!).

You are the engineer James. True about 'Experimental', but I knew it was US before the 2nd view from the unpainted bare metal with just a (yellow?) ring round the nose. And that American-looking tail! Really wouldn't be surprised if Cessna didn't have something to do with this. Wasn't there a time when they thought people might have small private jets of some sort?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

I'm off to the ice rink again - I think I will leave this a wee bit longer to let Moses delve into his vaults.

James is right - the jet efflux was ducted through slots on the leading edges, and it must have worked - the thing made 60+ flights.

Cessna, to the best of my knowledge, were not involved ! (Why Cessna ??)

Found it! It's the Ball-Bartoe JW-1 Jetwing. Very interesting indeed. Would not have guessed a late 1970's maiden flight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball-Bartoe_Jetwing

Hurricane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Roggeveen View Post
    You are the engineer James. True about 'Experimental', but I knew it was US before the 2nd view from the unpainted bare metal with just a (yellow?) ring round the nose. And that American-looking tail! Really wouldn't be surprised if Cessna didn't have something to do with this. Wasn't there a time when they thought people might have small private jets of some sort?
    Looking at what moses posted I'm sort of right. As it happens I'm doing stablility and control for a group aircraft design assignment at uni, somehow I have to get a tanker with a MTOW of 220 tons to fly slow enough to refuel a helicopter!
    I'm quite glad you posted this, its reminded me I haven't looked into blown flaps yet. (If it works then HWS can have a few :ernae: from the cantina in lieu of royalties!)