The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 126

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Oh dear. Think we need a new U.S. homebuilds forum.......

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    I put all my debts on the Willie Mae (Model 9-260L) by the one and only Curtis Pitts.

Wout has it. I guess I don't think of Pitt's as homebuilts since there are thousands of them around all built pretty much to the same specs. My bad.

NOTE TO SELF: Gliders - Bad. Homebuilts & Wannabe's - BAD. Ultralights - BAD.

Any other genre I need to steer clear of?

Lefty was just grumpy this morning. The Mrs. must have had him out in the garden pulling weeds. Pitts is fine. Wout is proof of that!

Quote Originally Posted by DHC2Pilot View Post
    NOTE TO SELF: Gliders - Bad. Homebuilts & Wannabe's - BAD. Ultralights - BAD.

Any other genre I need to steer clear of?
    Pre-1912 or so should be avoided since there were so many obscure woody canvas jobs that all looked alike. Some gliders are okay though like the Nikitin you posted before. Kind of a fine line there.

Grumpiness is one of the few privileges of age. Apologies if I caused grief and anguish. I'm sure Curtiss Pitts ( was he not quarterback for the Albuquerque Angels ?) is a mean banjo picker too.

It's just that at the back of (recent) Janes there are pages and pages of racers and Piper clones built in Ohio back yards, all looking very much the same and all, frankly, boring. But that's a personal opinion. It's why I stopped doing the Airshow Quiz - they also kept slinging in ancient stringbags which I find equally underwhelming.

But I'm not that narrow-minded compared to a high percentage of Outhousers who think aviation began and ended with the P-51.........

Bring on your worst, gentlemen (ladies too). If it flew, post it. I shall moan no more. For a while, anyway.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    I think this is a somewhat obscure one. I sincerely hope that the forumer(s) with the correct answer can also provide some details, as I only have few. Its older than you think.

DHC2Pilot, remember that for many years (maybe even today) the number of homebuilts completed and flown far exceeded the number of light toys turned out by the various companies and wellknown types such as the Grumman American AA-1 (Bede BD-1), CAP/Mudry CP-230/232 (Piel CP-30) , Robin DR series (Jodel DR-11 etc.) , Sportavia RF-4/RF-5 (Fournier RF-1) started with homebuilt designs.

Gulp - if Wout says it's obscure, we have work on our hands. Dig out those dusty tomes on Madagascar's aircraft industry.....

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    It is NOT from Madagascar or neighboring countries.
    If someone has the September 1949 issue of FLYING, she (why not) or he will find a Pirep (Pilot-report)

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Icon5

Not that I have that issue of FLYING, but found out about it. Any volunteers to check?

Oddly enough, I don't have a copy lying around either..... Wout, from that wee thumbnail it would be difficult to ID anything, and it resembles quite a few models of the period, but I have the feeling this one won't be in a book anywhere. A leetle clue, maybe ?

Mischa Kantor Strat? I found mention of Mr. Kantor as a designer for Luscombe who possibly came up with his own low-wing tricycle gear model.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    The aircraft is on the aerofiles.com site. And it is still on the FAA register (now you know the country for sure), but almost certainly it is not in flying condition (assuming the aircraft still exists).
    It is an all-metal 4-seater with 150hp Franklin engine and this is the only picture I`ve ever seen.

PS during writing the message I saw that Moses03 (as so oftenl) got the correct answer.:salute:

Also please keep looking for the September 1949 issue of FLYING and when found, pleased post the PIREP.

Twin transport-

Sorry about the lackluster photo.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    A guess (nothing more).
    The sole Ikarus 214-PP A.S.W conversion for operations against the guys who like to hide under water?

Lethal Wout on the post-war Yugoslav.

Here is a radarless version.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Moses03, thank you very much for the picture of the radar-knob 214PP and I think your second one shows the 214AM2 (planned) civil version. First time I saw proof that both models were actually built.

New one is a radial engine basic trainer and should not be too difficult. Not really successful I`ve been told.

This looks like something from the mid 1930's Eastern Europe. Knowing Wout's post war leanings it must be from later on?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Not Eastern Europe as we know it. At least 3 aircraft bore this name (all from same country).
    Development started 1941, but war prevented success and it only flew in 1951 and by that time it was somewhat (!) outdated. Engine was Siemens-Halske Sh-14A.

Too many clues (although I'm not complaining!). This must be the Finnish Valmet Tuuli II.

Since Wout has closed shop for the night, forging ahead here with a bomber of sorts...

Photobucket

The one and only Aero A.24 from 1925.

Was just going to start throwing out clues. Spot on DHC2!

Open board gentleman.

OK then, how about this extravagantly-spatted 30's trainer ?

Struggling with this one. Trolled through some Germans and Italians but not sure at all now.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Trolled through some Germans and Italians but not sure at all now.
    Close with both of these, dear boy.......