The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 120

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Open board - no access to my files from work.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Volunteers to have a go on this one?
    Designer is very famous albeit for more conventional types. The initials of his first names are in the model designation. Time period: early-1960s

"....first nameS..." (plural). Was that intentional? If so that's a BIG clue.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Sorry DHC2Pilot. Did not want to be misleading.
    What I meant to say was that IF this aircraft had been designed by William T.Piper (it was not, of course) the designation COULD have been WT-1000 (WT for William T.).
    To help: there is a Piper connection (designer, not the aircraft) and the model has 11 in its designation
    I cannot make it easier, sorry.

This the Rover Canard?

Thought maybe Aerofiles came to the rescue with this entry. Not quite the same as your pic, but very similar.

<SMALL>Rover [N9799x] (Michael O'Leary)</SMALL>

1961 = 2pCmwM; pusher. Fiberglass canard delta design spotted by a young Mike O'Leary at Hemet-Ryan (CA) airport in the late '60s. Said to be a design of C G Taylor of Taylorcraft fame (nothing supportive was found in our Taylor reference file) and built at Ventura CA. Painted dark blue with white trim. Also reportedly flew briefly a few times, but not very well, and appears to have been abandoned. O'Leary mentioned reg of [N9959C], but his photo shows otherwise.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Moses03, compared to you Sherlock Holmes was an amateur! What a beautiful piece of investigation, deduction etc.
    I know this aircraft as the Taylor CG-11 by Mr. Clarence Gilbert Taylor of Taylorcraft fame and of course the Piper connection should be known to all of us.
    It was almost certainly later referred to as the Product Design, Inc Rover (reported as a design by Mr. C.G.Taylor) and it is mentioned on aerofiles.com. The true registration apparently caused confusion as you already indicated. Aerofiles reports N9959C as registration, but the photo on aerofiles clearly shows the aircraft with registration N9799X. Both aircraft were reported with a 60/65hp Franklin 2A (2A-120B) engine and first flight (as CG-11) was October 1961. The story goes that apparently the financial backer of the CG-11 project took over, but not with much success.

Kevin, the horse and cart loaded with beer is on its way to Texas!
    Just to get familiar with the taste

Been out curling tonight - Wout, you won't get much past the King of the Push-Me-Pull-Yous. I think Kevin believes the only place for that nasty, loud,rather dangerous bit of spinning wood is at the back !

Keep 'em rolling, boys.....

PS we won

Thanks. Hate to let a oddball pusher get away. One of these evenings I'm going to make the drive to check out the DFW Curling club. Always wanted to try the sport!

Here is a very bulbous bomber with a pointy tail...

Wout, I always find the additional info you post with the reveal interesting - thanks and keep it up.

Moses, I believe your portly beast is the Farman B.2. I also think Avia France has this aircraft mis-identified as the F.120, which was a 3-engine dual strut braced high wing monoplane according to 3 different sources I have. Now there's something that bugs me - when multiple sources say one thing, and another set of sources say another. Let's get old man Farman on the phone and ask him.

If it is the B.2, then open board gents (I much prefer being on the hunt). If not, then can someone dispel my notion of the misidentification?

Can't comment on the Great Farman Mystery - off my radar

Hunt this one down, dear boy....

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    It seems the entire production run of the Rausch Star 250, this company also being responsible for the famous Hudstar.

It is the Rausch of course. Over to you, Wout.

to DHC2 on the portly chap. I had it as a Farman B.2

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Should be easy now that I found the ignition key!.

This one with a side portion of beansprouts - a Shenyang JJ-1.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    It could be expected :salute:

Our gentleman from Fife is in control

Barely, Wout, barely. Sorry for the delay - been at a nice lunchtime jazz gig in the local village hall - Django Reinhardt-type stuff. Whoever said there were no famous Belgians........?

Let's go back - an interesting machine...

Ah well, I suppose the Udet was a pusher - not much chance of it overflying Texas without being shot down................ Over to you sir.

Next clay pigeon loaded up....PULL!

Hmmm, the whole thing has an Italian Meridionali-ish feel to it, but the struts and gear have been lifted from a Fokker C.V-E. Add a de Havilland tail unit, and I fear we have one of those American one-offs built from spare parts.....

Photo quality makes me think it is not a Balkan horror...

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    It's a Eidgenössische Konstruktions Werkstätte (EKW) C.35, a Swiss aircraft designed to replace the Fokkers C.Ve. Looks like all they did was replace the engine with a Hispano-Suiza V-12..

Some great photos of Swiss aircraft here: http://www.sengers.ch/izueri/flugzeu...eug-museum.asp

BTW Meridionali did built the C.V under license as the Ro.1.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

You're right, Ferry - didn't follow through on the detective work.

The Swiss did a bit more than just replace the engine, though - the whole tail unit is original...