The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 112

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Likely a homebuilt from the US - looks like it has the wings, struts, and tail from an Aeronca Champ. Hmmm, digging through my Sport Aviation pile......

Methinks a Volmer VJ-22 or Chubasco

I'd say you deserve a :ernae:,
    but what do i know?
    The Volmer VJ22 Chubasco (later renamed the Sportsman) is an American two-seat light amphibian aircraft first flown in 1958. The Volmer VJ22 is a braced high-wing monoplane of mixed construction originally powered by a Continental C85, later amended to take a Continental O-200-B four-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine providing a top speed of 153 kmh and a range of 480 km.

If I hadn't gotten distracted by some ugly ducklings I might have beat the wily Scot

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Lefty scores the frothy brew.

I was prepared to take my lumps on this one being close to if not a homebuilt which of course is verboten in these parts.

Time to brace for the stinker...

I would have nailed it if I had only googled "flying boat with Aeronca Champ wings" - found it on page 5 of the search results - a long article published by the Seaplane Pilots Association. I'd give you the link but it doesn't come out correctly once I hit REPLY. <banging head on desk><BANGING desk on head>

Not many floaters escape the Lefty net...........

How about a nice trimotor from my new Christmas Book of Aeronautical Stinkers ?

Navarro Chief ? If I'm correct, open board. If not, then I'm on par for the course. Never seen a picture of the Navarro, but the description seems to match.....from 1930 Flight......

A VERY unorthodox machine is the little Navarro "Chief " three-engined
    monoplane which is now nearing completion at the Heston works of
    Navarro Safety Aircraft, Ltd. Mr. Joseph Navarro has original ideas on
    the subjects of stalling and spinning, and in the design of the " Chief " he
    has attempted to solve, in his own way, the problems of safe flying. Whether
    he will succeed time alone can show, as the first machine incorporating the
    new features is not yet quite finished.
    Briefly, Mr. Navarro's safety devices comprise up-turned wing tips for lateral
    stability, and elevators whose hinge line is not at right angles to the line of
    flight. Mr. Navarro's theory is that when the machine is on the point of
    spinning, the fact that one elevator flap is " broadside on " to the direction
    of motion while the other is almost " end on " will prevent the spin from
    developing. As the stall and spin are the most prolific causes of accidents,
    their prevention is well worth striving for, but it is a little difficult to see
    on what grounds, aerodynamically, the sloped elevator hinges can seriously
    affect the forces acting on the main wing.
    The Navarro " Chief " is a high-wing monoplane with strut-bracing and
    fitted with three A.B.C. " Scorpion " engines, one in the nose of the fuselage
    and the other two outboard under the wing. The fuselage is of wood construction
    with plywood covering, and the three occupants, pilot and two passengers,
    sit one behind the other, the pilot in front. The " Chief " will probably be
    the smallest three-engined machine ever produced, and apart from the special
    safety features it will be interesting to see how so small a machine compares
    with the single-engined type of the same power. The calculated top speed is
    !10 m.p.h. As the gross weght is 1,600 lb., and the,total maximum power*
    approximately 110 b.h.p., this top speed will probably be attained. It is
    |'akulated that the machine should, with full load, be able to maintain its
    11eight with either one of the three engines stopped.

Well I'm blowed - just when you think you've got the ultimate nasty lined up - and it lasts about an hour ! Well done that DHC2 Pilot for getting the very obscure Navarro - special bonus.

Then again, I suppose every good HW forum reader has a 1930 copy of Flight to hand, so I shouldn't really be surprised.........

Open House, gentlemen.

Interesting little trimotor that Chief. You learn something everyday in here.

I have a float plane with guns. Any takers?

A Villier 26 no doubt

What about this small beettle,sorry for the wings forest

Fasm swoops in for the kill. It's getting tough to stump this crowd!

Have at it Sir-

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Maybe the SIPA S-1000 Coccinelle?

This is it, congrats :ernae:

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    A small pusher. One clue, it's postwar

I wish all SOH forumers a good and healthy 2010 and I hope for many postings of rare, funny, irritating, easy or difficult whatzits

Ah, right in my wheelhouse. This is the Durand XD-85 from the USA.

Thanks Walter. Wishing everyone a healthy and happy New Years as well!

Hi all - just back from the pantomime (Pinocchio - never too old for a good panto !)

Glad to see the year (a far as we over here are concerned) ended up with an old pusher - Texas wouldn't be the same without him.

A Guid New Year tae ye all, and I hope a dram or two is flowing around the world !

Please, Ickie, give us a whisky shot smiley - PLEEEEEASE !!!!!!

Well, it's 2010 across the pond. Sounds like Lefty had a fun evening.

Wout has most likely tucked in for the night so here is a sleek twin to keep the ball rolling. Please press on if you know this one. Might not be around for awhile.

I think this is the Leonides-engined Airspeed Consul VX587. Hic...

Talking of pushers, here's a one-off from a well-known company. There is a debate about how far it flew, admittedly.

It is from the side of the Pond currently enjoying 2010.

How long it's been since I last had a clue about a mystery? Not going to change today

Happy new year to you all, folks.

DHC2Pilot and fasm seem to be on a roll at the moment, Moses and the deadly Wout are the Ronaldo and Messi of the spotting business !

(I realise that some of our Transatlantic pals may not instantly recognise those two names - they are simply the best in the round ball game........)

Happy New Year to you too, Yann !

Happy happy new year to you all

I think our #1 plane spotter has stumped the regulars. Initially thought the pusher had an Italian feel but the trail has faded.

Going to join Yann in the pub.

Hope the pub was convivial. Ours was......

I am indebted to Ord-Hume's tome British Light Aeroplanes (lefty's Christmas present to lefty) for this very rare picture of the Miles Pusher project of around 1935. As I said, at least one of its promoters claimed it did actually fly.

This one is not British...

Oh-oh, I seem to have new attachment limit slapped upon me (since I donated !) - get back to you later

Done a little housekeeping -we'll try again !

Ahh, that's better !