The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 535

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    What's in a name. Mexico connection...
    Could that be the BC3"Baja California 3" (somewhat altered) which flew around 1928 (general outlook seems to be the same)?
    BG

Spot on BG. Not sure what became of her.

Over to you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Moses!
    What about those crafts on a catapult?
    Cheers
    BG

BTW Moses would you know what kind of engine the BC3 mounted?

Looks like the Vought/Naval Aircraft Factory VE9-H, BG ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Looks like the Vought/Naval Aircraft Factory VE9-H, BG ?
    Indeed they are LeftyThere are two of them which means half the force (according to Wikipedia and other sources only 4 were built).
    Your turn please
    Cheers
    BG

Thanks BG -here's one that has appeared before but still interesting - looks like a floater but........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ohkvvmdmeereovvji.jpg  

Weymann WEL-50. As the photo appears to have been taken at the Paris salon, I assume that it's not the slightly more successful WEL-52.

Edit - no, it seems that I'm wrong. I've just found a copy of that photo and it's captioned as the WEL-52!

I have it as the 52 as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails W52.jpg  

52 it is - the wee wheels at the front always seem a tad pessimistic to me - M. Weymann must have known some pretty dodgy pilots in his time !

Over to rustic Gallic bliss.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    52 it is - the wee wheels at the front always seem a tad pessimistic to me - M. Weymann must have known some pretty dodgy pilots in his time !

Over to rustic Gallic bliss.......
    Just for closing this file: I have it as Weymann-Lepère 52 "Aeromobile"....
    Cheers
    BG

Gallic bliss, eh? Ah yes, that's enduring a week of temperatures in the upper thirties, when it's nigh on impossible to work outside after 11:00 am, and then, as soon as we get a day in the twenties, spending the best part of it pushing barrow loads of stone from the front of the house to the back in order to tip it into the river to protect the banks from the scouring effect of the winter floods. If that's bliss, then I'll throw myself into the river if someone starts to talk about hard work!

Anyhow, enough of how blissful my day has been. Here's the next offering. An odd piece of kit which is claimed to be a motorglider!

Well, I did my homework this time and have prepared for PH's next mystery.

Sure enough, in the study materials is the Sablier Type 19 Biplace Motoplaneur of 1936.

That's the critter! Over to Texas!

This one showed up about the time the stock market crashed in the USA. Bad timing! (Apologies for the heavy grain).

Hmmm, can't get 'Reply with quote' to work - re BG's note - 'Just for closing this file: I have it as Weymann-Lepère 52 "Aeromobile"....', here is the photo of the card beside the machine at the Salon - maybe some Francophone can tell me about 'Avionine'?

And I have an interest in Moses' grainy growler - as Wallaces are in my family tree, this is the Wallace Touroplane !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weyavi.jpg  

OH dear, there's a gremlin afoot - can't even edit my own post properly ! Was just going to add for BG's benefit, re 'Weymann-Lepère' , Jane's 1931 says 'Capt. Lepère has since left the firm'.

SOH-CM-2023
    It's not in my dictionary, so maybe its aircraft number 9? Or a diminutive of avion? - or should that be avionette....
    Keith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    It's not in my dictionary, so maybe its aircraft number 9? Or a diminutive of avion? - or should that be avionette....
    Keith
    Having french as my second language (almost first as my mother was from Nice) I can assure you that there is no such word as "Avionine" in any reliable dictionary.....I think that it could be a neologism of the twenties or thirties by now forgotten (languages do change!)....
    Cheers
    BG

SOH-CM-2023
    Or not if the Acadamie Francaise has anything to do with it......but things have slipped in, e.g. le week end......
    Keith

Lefty is right on with the Wallace family aeroplane.

Forum seems to be working fine at the moment?

I wonder whether 'Avionine' is a trade name? It appears in this photograph .....

In that context, I'd suggest that the translation is 'Fabrics & Dopes Avionine'. It's a shame that the resolution of the photograph of the WEL-52 at the Paris Salon is not adequate to enable the whole notice to be enlarged sufficiently to appreciate the context in which Avionine is mentioned there.

P.s. now what is the aeroplane that appears in the above photograph ...... !

It also apprears that Avionine was a brand of paint used for aircraft in the 1930s. I found this reference to it on a website concerning the Couzinet Arc-en-Ciel;

'Les avions de l'époque étaient peints à l'Avionine, peinture cellulosique avec des paillettes d'aluminium. Cette peinture très légère était réfléchissante pour le soleil, augmentant le confort de l'équipage, c'était important pour l'Arc-en-Ciel qui a beaucoup voyagé sous les tropiques'

Now that the forum is acessible again but not permitting previous posts to be edited, here's a reference to Avionine in English. I think it fair to say that the reason why BG and Dev One couldn't find it in their dictionaries is that it was a trade name that, presumably, has subsided into history.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finishes-Avionine-1924-365.jpg  

Brilliant piece of research by PH there - I am not nearly as well versed in the world of dopes......

Happy to let his mystery Avionine customer stand as the next challenge - I am about to disappear for the annual R&R in Madeira, so will be absent for a couple of weeks.

Let's hope the Easyjet skipper is used to the Funchal landing - have any of you RTW challenge men tried it yet ???

What, you mean to say that you're not travelling on an Aquila Solent? No problems with a Funchal landing in one of those!