The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 447

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Welcome back Mike.

You know how those translators can bungle up things!

Maybe BG can translate for us as the text was lifted from this page.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuvoli_N.5

Did a bit of digging -reckon it means metal prop.

Anyway, back at the weekend. Keep up the good work !

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Welcome back Mike.

You know how those translators can bungle up things!

Maybe BG can translate for us as the text was lifted from this page.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuvoli_N.5
    Sorry Moses but I'm having rather hectic days...I'll try nevertheless to help you out by translating the passage concerning the "Nuvoli 5-Aq": "experimental altitude trainer built upon request of the Ministry of Aeronautics. It sported metallic spatted wheels, NACA engine cowling Magni type and a FIAT A70 engine with metallic propeller. This was the last Aircraft built in 1938 by the Laboratorio Artigianale Aeronautico (roughly translated aeronautical workshop) inasmuch as his managing director was enrolled full time in the military as officer of the "Genio Militare" ( I don't know the exact translation but this is a corps that builds Bailey bridges and such like amenities)"

I'm not a great translator but this is hundred times better than anything produced by a computer. By the way Aq means Alta quota (high altitude)

Cheers
    BG
    At long last here's my easy mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Baragouin View Post
    At long last here's my easy mystery
    Hi BG.

The Fiat B.R.3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img361.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Yessir Mr.Green that's what it is a FIATBR3
    Your turn please
    BG

Thanks BG.

Probably an easy one in return then...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img362.jpg  

Gentleman....I'm curious as to how the number of wing bays are determined when Warren struts are employed. As with the Fiat BR.3 above I would say 4 bays....correct? I'm also questioning this....if you have an unequal span biplane with top wing longer than the bottom, and you have one or two standard bays present with additional angled struts (connected to the standard vertical struts on the bottom wing), would this triangular bay at the tips be considered a proper wing bay or not?
    I've been working on a aircraft database for the past 6 years and have started entering more in-depth data (34 characteristics total ) for the 51,000+ aircraft I've managed to enter thus far....yes, i've lost my marbles . Only about 2,200 models completed and I'm starting to run into more and more models I'm not sure how to classify (i.e. Wing bays, strut arrangements, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the input!

Cheers,
    John

The database is quite the undertaking John. Something I can't quite seem to get motivated to do! Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC2Pilot View Post
    Gentleman....I'm curious as to how the number of wing bays are determined when Warren struts are employed. As with the Fiat BR.3 above I would say 4 bays....correct? I'm also questioning this....if you have an unequal span biplane with top wing longer than the bottom, and you have one or two standard bays present with additional angled struts (connected to the standard vertical struts on the bottom wing), would this triangular bay at the tips be considered a proper wing bay or not?
    No means an expert here, but I would agree with the 4 bays.

On the triangular portion at the tip, even though it is enclosed, doesn't there have to be a section of wing top and bottom to be a bay?

Like this I presume?

Again, not sure at all.

Your example is spot on Kevin....I too am unsure as to the exact definition of a 'bay', however I am in agreement with your assessment that there should be a section of wing both top and bottom to be considered as one. Then again that would conflict with our determination regarding the Warren configuration on the BR.3. Its stuff like this that keeps me up at night....lol.

SOH-CM-2023
    If one goes to the other extreme, how many bays are there on a Auster/Cub? Or are bays only quoted if a multi plane?
    Sorry thats the devil in me coming out!
    Keith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    One-off Fiat B.R.G.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contri...erone/4159.htm

This was a bomber? Hmm.
    How silly of me! I was just unable to reconcile the front view of the BRG with the side view I have in my database....
    BG

Will press on here as I think we are good on the Fiat.

Don't rush to conclusions on this one. It's a bit tricky...

Should we assume that it started life as Grumman Goose - or would this be to bark up what is completely the wrong tree!

Started out as a Grumman Widgeon, then out to the west coast for a makeover...

Figured Wout would have snapped this one up straight away.

Well, I'll go and stand in the corner. Can't tell my geese from my widgeons. I saw radials and thus thought goose. Now what did you say about rushing to conclusions ...... !

..... it couldn't be the Masandorf conversion Widgeon (of which wikipedia says 'it is often mistaken for a Grumman Goose' [!]) that used to appear in the opening sequences of that appalling television series 'Fantasy Island', could it?

I have seen it called that. "The Pace/Mansdorf or Gannet conversion of the Widgeon with the Lycoming 300 hp. radial engines made it look very much like the Goose."

My photo has it as the Pace Gannet. In Aerofiles, it is listed under Gannet:

<small>Gannet Aircraft Inc, Sun Valley CA.</small> Super Widgeon c.1955 = STOL modification of Grumman Widgeon; load: 1700# v: 190/170/x range: 1000 (on 158 gallons of fuel). Claimed water take-off in 10 seconds.

Anyhoo, over to you PH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pace Gannet.jpg  

According to Jane's, 13 airframes were being modified by Pace from zero-hours S.C.A.N. 30 airframes, which presumably they picked up for a chanson........

Apologies for the misspelling, Moses03. Whilst wikipedia says Masandorf, it's evident that it should say Mansdorf.

And with further apologies for my delay in posting the next image, the size of that and the fact that it's another of my 'grainies'. However I've only come across two photographs of this aeroplane - and the other one's worse than this!

Would this be a better pic, ph ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bfub.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Hi Lefty and Pomme-Homme!
    All the Levasseurs look pretty much alike but I would say yours look like a PL101
    Cheers
    BG

Only now I realize that this is a sesquiplane: therefore it should be the PL7

My one is a Levasseur, but its not a PL 101 or a PL 7, Baragouin. So if your image, lefty, is of a PL 101 or a PL7, then it's not a better pic of my offering! But if it's of another model of Levasseur, then it could be. But without knowing, I can't say beyond that I don't think that my image and your image, lefty, are of the same model of Levasseur.

OK, my image is of the PL.7 T2B2b. Is this supposed to be the PL.14 ? There is a Russian site that shows this photo but, to be honest, it doesn't look much like the images of the PL.14 that I have....

Then I regret that I must say that it's not a better pic of my offering for mine is not the Levasseur PL 7. Neither is it the PL 14.