The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 408

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

I are here, well, back, um.. errr.. actually have had no time to indulge in the Museum of Oddities
    Was actually looking at Canuck Fairchilds yesterday but the larger versions... will dig and see what crawls in the underworld.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Well I'm going to award the , Keith, although the waters under this floater are a tad muddy ! My photo is from Janes 1934, posing as a Fairchild Canada 22-B. The reg is CF-ATQ, which tallies with the Canadian historical register. However, an American reg, NC12669, is also attached to the same machine, which shows up in their list as a 22C-7D.

Janes states that this model was 'produced' in Canada, but I, as they say here, 'hae ma doots !'

If Rob were around doubtless he could enlighten us ?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Piaggio P.6ter

Nice picture of it.

Chris

Well done Chris. Indeed the Piaggio.

Over to you.

Next one nice little low wing

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WotNov15.jpg  

Fairchild 22 reprise

the waters under this floater are a tad muddy ! My photo is from Janes 1934, posing as a Fairchild Canada 22-B. The reg is CF-ATQ, which tallies with the Canadian historical register. However, an American reg, NC12669, is also attached to the same machine, which shows up in their list as a 22C-7D.

Janes states that this model was 'produced' in Canada, but I, as they say here, 'hae ma doots !'
    First, regarding the reg. NC12669, that came after the first Fairchild 24's so it may be a resale or -ATQ being re-imported (and re-powered?)

I can find no reference to 'production' in Canada, although that may have come from one (-ATQ) being dragged across the border and assembled (or finished) in Canada. I found a (rear-view) pic of -ATQ on wheels but none of any on canoes although floats are mentioned as an option in the $2675 price. As far as the models and engines the muddy waters are more like bayou soup. There was no 22B but likely a simplification of a 22 C7B so it would be a Menasco-powered one. However the cowling looks odd for a Menasco so I wonder if it was perhaps the Cirrus (C7A) or something arbitrarily applied to a one-off Canuck assemblage of parts.

• C7, Rover 75 hp 4 cylinder inverted inline (13 built)
    • C7A, Cirrus Hi-Drive 95 hp 4 cylinder inverted inline (58)
    • C7B, Menasco C-4 Pirate 125 hp 4 cylinder inverted inline (8) -yet these seem to be most common now-
    • C7D, Wright Gipsy 90 hp 4 cylinder upright inline (22+1)
    • C7E, Warner Scarab 125 hp 7 cylinder radial (11)
    • C7F, Warner Super Scarab 145 hp 7 cylinder radial (9)
    • C7G, Warner Super Scarab 145 hp 7 cylinder radial (6)

While a few are reported as C7D's they may have been subsequently re-engined as the Wright was VERY different in appearance as the engine was an "upright" inline - see pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacksnell707/2999256397/ and http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Fairchild/4620.htm

Here's a link to a C7D that was re-engined with a Menasco (to make it a C7B?) from down in the land of Moses: http://pioneerflightmuseum.org/aircr...22/index.shtml

Lovely little airplane and one day I'll even install Put-Put's model and fly it. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming..

Edit: after posting the above I found this:
    The C-7A was the first to improve the power of the F 22 and was fitted with a Cirrus Hi-Drive 4 cylinder inverted inline engine, built under licence from Cirrus Aero Engines at Croydon. It provided 20 hp more than its predecessor without altering the lines of the type, and began production during 1935. Several were exported offshore and the aircraft was further developed as a seaplane. Around 60 examples being manufactured fitted with Edo floats, a metal propeller, hand crank-inertia engine starter and navigation lights.

The numbers look odd as not that many were built according to other records.
    http://all-aero.com/index.php/contac...0-fairchild-22

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Thank you, Rob, for that fine piece of research which must have consumed a lot of your time !

Just to throw another spanner into the works, Jane's quotes the engine as being a '120hp D.H Gipsy III'. The Wright Gipsy installation on the C-7-D in the American section of the book looks entirely different, partly due to being inverted !

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks for the clarification - I think Aerofiles needs updating then as they show a photo of a Wright engined version that seems to be from your research a Menasco engine. Interesting bit about the Cirrus Hi line being a Brit engine - explains the rotation & intake position, & might have confused
    Aerofiles into thinking it was a DH Gipsy!
    Keith

Chris, apologies if it appears we are ignoring your latest mystery post.

Not so ! I've had a look through various sources and have come up with nothing so far - this looks like Moses' territory to me - will keep digging !

No worries I like the research that this forum brings up.

Mystery plane European.

Chris

Not a Béchereau design, by any chance ?

Still digging here. Not a familiar looking design.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cthornburg View Post
    Next one nice little low wing

Chris
    Is that by any chance a refurbished version of the Gabardini Lictor 90?
    BG

Not to my knowledge but getting warmer.

Chris

Getting a bit desperate here, Chris. An early S.A.I.M.A.N. perhaps ? The C.4 ??

Gloves off! This has to be a Nuvoli N.5CAB.

Pretty sure on the Nuvoli. Will press on with a veggie slicer for a change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helo.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kevin
    My vote goes to the Helicon by the H.B. Picken Company of Canada.
    Around 1950-1953ish. A 140hp DH Gipsy Major engine and mainly built to test tilting rotor head system developed by the company.

Spot on Walter on the Canadian chopper.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    A nice tourer for which I have I (sofar) never been able to find a really good photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tourer.png  

Moses03 Your right with the Nuvoli N.5 Cab. I was flying last night so had to get some sleep when I got in this morning.

Chris

Walter, I think this is it - but the rear windows are a bit different - Libis KB-11 ?

Quote Originally Posted by cthornburg View Post
    Moses03 Your right with the Nuvoli N.5 Cab. I was flying last night so had to get some sleep when I got in this morning.

Thanks and no worries on the delay.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    The KB-11 Branko it is! and thank you for the nice photo.
    The aircraft on the airshow was YU-CNA
    You are right on the (rear) windows. Never noticed this before. Photos of YU-CNA and CNB definitely show the smaller windows.
    Found info that 4 KB-1 were built, but have seen 6 registrations YU-CMZ,CNA, CNB, CNC, CFE, CFG
    What is the secret?

Your turn, sir

Thanks Walter - now here's a smart fellow -