The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 455

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Test Post

The image posting site I have been using for a long time has cleaned out it's archives so most of what I have imbedded here is gone.

Trying a new one. (Flickr is too confusing to me!).

Calling Open House

OK, and I can just about i/d Moses' mystery Growler too !

I wondered which desert this Shack was flying over, till I realised No8 Squadron was based at Kinloss, so those are the barren wastes of Aberdeenshire.....

Here's a neat wee flivver which you won't find in Aerofiles -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails limfe.jpg  

First flew in the '60's - several of these built - the prototype in a monastery !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ftsotm.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    Did not recognize the first photo, but the second one depicts the first I-66 San Fransisco (I-IANN) by Mr. Orlando Ianotto.
    It was followed by at least to more I-66s and then the I-66L San Fransisco 2 (I-CAPJ and later I-8112 when re-registered in the ULM class.)
    Does your first photo show the I-96 San Fransisco 3?

Hi Walter

here is the source of the first photo - http://www.aeromedia.it/lb1450.html which reveals it as I-8112. According to Wikipedia, there were about 9 built altogether.

The designer was actually Orlando Iannotta, who called it San Francesco after the founder of the Franciscan order - it was built in the Capuchin Friary in Naples ! Over to you sir.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Mike
    Still a light plane, but somewhat older
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eelpc.jpg  

Walter- This is the PZL 12 amphibian, although it never made it to the water testing portion of the program.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kevin
    Am somewhat disappointed you did not mention is was aka the PZL-H.

PS: Loved your photo of the Shackleton over the Scottish desert.

Thanks W!

How about this somewhat curious biplane?

The design is reminiscent of the casualty evacuation aeroplanes (les transports sanitaires) that were relatively common in French military service between the wars. But if it's one of these, it's not one which I know. So it might be a casualty evacuation aeroplane, but not a French one. But then, it may have nothing whatsoever to do with casualty evacuation!

It is French but not an ambulance plane. That area below the cockpit was for the observer as this was a recon design. Powered by a Hispano-Suiza.

I have a feeling that this might be the Weymann CTW-100. I only have a Jane's description of what they called the 100R.BL but it seems to fit the bill !

And that is a good feeling. A pint for the Scotsman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weymann 100.jpg  

Hmm, I was thrown off the scent by Aviafrance. It contends that the CTW-100 was derived from the WEL-80. Looking at pictures of the latter, I feel that Aviafrance might be stretching a point. But well done, lefty, for following the scent to its lair!

Thank you chaps - when the name Weymann arose, I persevered all the more, as I know our Moses has a weakness for this gentleman's off-the-wall designs ! In the course of this research, discovered he was better known as a vehicle coachbuilder.... ah, well.

Here's a tidy line-up of trainers all waiting for some ham-fisted novices to try and keep them in the sky. But where ???

(by the way, it has just taken 15 minutes to upload this fairly small image. Is that OK ?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nttrtbd.jpg  

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hello everyone!
    I would say Manfred Weiss WM10A....and the location is naturally Hungary....and the registration of the first must be HA-AKB
    Cheers
    BG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    Hmm, I was thrown off the scent by Aviafrance. It contends that the CTW-100 was derived from the WEL-80. Looking at pictures of the latter, I feel that Aviafrance might be stretching a point. But well done, lefty, for following the scent to its lair!
    I agree with you PH.....now that I can see both pics it is hard to maintain that the CTW100 derived from the WEL80...well Aviafrance mysteries....
    Cheers
    BG

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    In the course of this research, discovered he was better known as a vehicle coachbuilder.... ah, well.
    I'm thread drifting, but .....

On Sunday I was at an historic motor sports event. One of the entrants was a Marendaz (how many times did I hear : c'est une Bentley, n'est-ce pas?). Have we had one of that old rogue's aeronautical designs here recently?

SOH-CM-2023
    Yes, there were lots of Weyman bodied cars in the UK in the 30's, not only Bentleys but I believe Rileys also. Typically they seemed to have black leather finished roofs (or is it rooves?). They had a factory in Addlestone near Weybridge I think.
    Keith

when the name Weymann arose, I persevered all the more, as I know our Moses has a weakness for this gentleman's off-the-wall designs
    Why yes, yes I do. Seems there is always some unknown Weymann project lurking in the cracks of time.

Well my Hungarian girls weren't much of a challenge for BG who pounced with deadly accuracy ! Over to Tuscany

Blog Entries
    Well my Hungarian girls weren't much of a challenge for BG who pounced with deadly accuracy ! Over to Tuscany
    Hi Lefty!
    My following mystery is certainly too easy for you but maybe the tarpauline will make identification more problematic....
    Cheers
    BG

Well with the 2-blade prop and uncowled motor, I'd say He46C, but all the Hungarian versions I can find are later 46E or K models. Whatever it is, it's a rarity ??

Blog Entries
    Well with the 2-blade prop and uncowled motor, I'd say He46C, but all the Hungarian versions I can find are later 46E or K models. Whatever it is, it's a rarity ??
    Hi Lefty!
    In spite of http://www.avia-info.hu/talalat.php?GTA=t111&Oldal=3 stating that she's a D type this is patently wrong as this Heinkel He46 with his twin bladed propeller and uncowled radial Bramo engine is definitely a "C" model.
    Therefore on you go Lefty and please surprise us
    Cheers
    BG