The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 534

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

A well reasoned suggestion, BG, but Erno Rubik wasn't responsible for this aeroplane. And neither was anyone else in Hungary. No, this was designed in a country well to the west of Hungary by a man who was active in aviation from the twenties to the sixties. As I've said already, he catered mainly for the homebuilder. That illustrated was a home built example. I know of only one other, which is extant in a museum atypical for an exhibit of this nature.

As this one is showing no signs of moving, I'll give it until lunchtime and then reveal all.

Sorry Mike, bit out of my comfort zone !

Ah well, this is the Sablier Type 4 F-WFOP. I'm reliably informed that it was destroyed at Angers in about 1965 - which makes it hard to explain why there's a wingless fuselage, which carries the same registration and which looks like a Sablier Type 4, hanging from the ceiling of a private motorcycle museum near Laval. Anyhow, open house please!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi PH
    Could this be the other Sablier 4. Different tail and as per Aviafrance built around 1955 (Aviafrance claims only one was built).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sablier IV.jpg  

You could be right, Walter, if the lower part of the engine nacelle has been altered in the time between your photo was taken and the two below were taken. But assuming that there were (at least) two Sablier Type 4's built, why did both carry the registration F-WFOP? I don't know if either carried a CDN or CNRA registration or, if so, what they were. But I'm making enquiries.

Oh, and if you want to see a Sablier Type 4 with yet another different rudder set-up, take a look at the photo on page 4 of http://aeroclub-angers.fr/wp-content...-de-lOuest.pdf. This one is, apparently, the same aeroplane as in the picture which originally I posted, having been constructed by Wilfried Giraud at Angers-Avrillé in the immediate post-war years. I have yet another photograph - which I can't post - of that aeroplane in 1957. And just to muddy the waters further still, the lower part of the engine nacelle looks remarkably like that of the aeroplane in the motorcycle museum near Laval!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    hi PH
    In Avions Français F-WFOP is listed as Giraud-Sablier T4, after the builder Wilfrid Giraud as already marked by you. Year quoted is 1955.
    Fox-Papa gives F-WFOP history as follows:
    Sablier (4) SG-HM ou SG-4 no.1
    Constr. 1947 Matrehut à Matrans (17)
    LP 8.59 Robert Ambroise + Yvan Riviere (Etienne)
    28.11.1949 accidenté à Etienne
    LP 5.55 Michel Gilbert (Melizy)
    stocké à Angers (1956-61( par Giraud?
    It could be very well be that there were indeed two F-WPOP, but what connecrtion.
    Found on a site on model aircraft a photo of scale model with registration F-AAPN (see photo) . I donot know whether F-AAPN was a real registration or a phantasy by the builder of the model.
    Like to hearfrom you if you get additional info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sablier 4 F-AAPN.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi PH
    To conclude my Sablier 4 contribution a copy of the 1939 Brochure. Could it be that Mr. Sablier gave aspirant builders the option of several shapes of fins?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sablier 4 plans.jpg  

Thanks, Walter. Rather than have everyone else muttering 'b#####y anoraks' at us, I'd better respond to you off forum - although that'll mean that none of them will be able to learn of the further mystery involving the Sablier Type 4/52. In the meantime, I think that someone had better post the next mystery!

No complaints from me at all. I enjoy this sort of banter concerning particular aircrafts.

I just didn't know what the heck it was to begin with!

OK, Kevin. But I'll confine myself to a photograph of the Sablier Type 4/52

and say that the mystery is whether this is a variation of the Type 4 (the 52 refers to the design year) or a completely new design (i.e. the Type 52).

Mike

p.s. can anyone tell me whether 00-28 is a Belgian registration (I'm assuming it's not a ULM registration in the Eure-et-Loir département!).

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    The OO-XXX series is used for amateur built aircraft. The photo shows a homebuilt of 1985 registered OO-XXX.
    Propose to use this as the next challenge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belgian homebuilt.png  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Obviously from Belgium. Designation is (though difficult to see) painted in the rear fuselage. This is the only pic I have ever seen of this obscure craft.
    The designer brothers later brought out a light 2-seat helicopter

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    The aircraft`s registration is OO-100 and she is the Masschelein Mass-302. Completed in 1985 and not much known of her history. Said to have flown in the autumn of 1985 under power of a König 430 three-cilinder/2-stroke radial engine. Planned production aircraft were to have a 50hp Lotus 2-stroke engine, but development of that was halted, as was that of the Mass-302. The all-copmposite 302 was designed/built by brothers Stefaan and Paul Masschelein. The brothers later marketed the small Masquito helicopter.

OH please

Looks like a Bede pusher to me.

I put "Masschelein Mass-302" into Google and absolutely nothing came up.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jevin
    The pic was taken by a friend many years ago through the hangar door windows. I guess the Mass 302 was not really succesful. I agree it looks like the BD-5, but had a composite material consruction.
    To keep me busy, here is the next challenge. A clearer pic would immediately give away the identity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz 4-engines.JPG  

I'll stick my neck out - and guess at the SE-2010 Armagnac.

A brief aside, if you'll permit me. The aeroplane whose photo appears in post #12954 (07.06.16), which was identified as the Guédon Monoplane (an identity with which then I concurred), may not, in fact, be that. In consequence of my rather sablier-centric research of this week, I'm now of the opinion that it may, in fact, be the Sablier Avionnette Biplace of 1936 (q.v. http://claudel.dopp.free.fr/Les_plan...r_machines.htm).

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi PH
    Sorry, but not the Armagnac.

Can't decide if the prop arc is 4 or 5 bladed. Going by how the wheels are not fully retracted out of view, it might be the Breda Zappata Bz 308?

Wow Mike, that Sablier link you provided above is a treasure trove of rare photos and info. Thanks!

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Can't decide if the prop arc is 4 or 5 bladed. Going by how the wheels are not fully retracted out of view, it might be the Breda Zappata Bz 308?

Wow Mike, that Sablier link you provided above is a treasure trove of rare photos and info. Thanks!
    Let me concur with Moses if I may, the pointed nose gives it away as a Breda Zappata 308....
    Cheers
    BG

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kevin
    The BZ-308 it is
    Please see this photo. Did not know that the designation (at least in this pic) was written as B.Z.308

Your turn, please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B.Z.308 .jpg  

Thanks Walter. Such a beautiful airliner. Shame it didn't go into production.

Here is one that had a couple of different names. Any will do!

What's in a name. Mexico connection...