Having motherboard problems

Thread: Having motherboard problems

Blog Entries

Having motherboard problems

Maybe one of you can provide me with a suggestion. I am trying to build a new computer for my business partner and I have a problem.

Problem: After hooking everything up and powering up, the fans come on, the LEDs on the GPU light up and a finger on a hard drive gives evidence that it is spinning. However, the monitor stays dark and the LED shows it in the standby mode.

This is the second MB. I RMAed the first one to Newegg with the exact same symptoms. With this MB, I hooked everything up outside of the case. The PS, keyboard, mouse, and a hard drive. On the first MB I swapped the GPU from another computer but did not do so this time. The monitor is good. I am using it to type this post.

Can two MBs be DOA or am I missing something?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John, Ted told me to ask if after you hook up the 24pin connector are you also hooking up the eight pin connector very near the CPU if the eight pin connector is present? He also asked me to ask what motherboard do you have? We are not in Texas right now but we will monitor your progress as we can.
    Donna

QUOTE=jmig;174068]Maybe one of you can provide me with a suggestion. I am trying to build a new computer for my business partner and I have a problem.

Problem: After hooking everything up and powering up, the fans come on, the LEDs on the GPU light up and a finger on a hard drive gives evidence that it is spinning. However, the monitor stays dark and the LED shows it in the standby mode.

This is the second MB. I RMAed the first one to Newegg with the exact same symptoms. With this MB, I hooked everything up outside of the case. The PS, keyboard, mouse, and a hard drive. On the first MB I swapped the GPU from another computer but did not do so this time. The monitor is good. I am using it to type this post.

Can two MBs be DOA or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
    Donna

PPL in 2014!!!

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending!"

Charter Member 2015
    Also, double check that the hdd Sata connector is properly attached. What are the system specs and in particular the psu?

Edit...Oh and welcome back to SOH ,Donna
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

jmig it could be something else DOA to check some of the other stuff to.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I assume there is no POST beep? No video no POST can be any number of things. Provided you MBD has a speaker I would strip the board down to just MBD/CPU/RAM, and verify you get a POST beep. You should at least get a POST error indicating no video card. If you still fail to get POST you may be looking at RAM/CPU problem being you are on the second board. IF you do get POST add components one at a time unil POST fails.
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

StickMan
    I had a PCI-E slot go out one time on a brand new MoBo, if you have more then one PCI-E 2.0 slot you can put the GPU there and see if it is the top PCI-E slot. I tested mine by dropping the GPU down one slot and the PC booted to where I could see the screen and then exchange the MoBo on the fact the PCI slot was out and they repsonded that it was a bad PCI-E slot and even upgraded me for the troubles.

harleyman
    So... You have the 24 and 8 pin connected...the computer posts??????

Now then... Is this your old HDD with the OS still installed???

If so that will not always work.....

To test this put your windows disk in to the DVD drive and boot the computer up...If you then get monitor showing loading files that is your problem...You will then need to just reinstall your OS with a fresh partition and format...

Regardless of OS, there should still be video and access to the BIOS. Should have video and BIOS access even without a HDD installed.
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

Blog Entries
    For everyone's info:
    The MB is a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    CPU AMD Phenom II X3 720
    GPU HIS ATI 4850 512mb
    Ram 4gb ddr2-1066 G.Skill
    HD WD1500HLFS VelociRaptor

I have only connected this MB in a temporary mode on a table. I am not using a CD drive. Nor is there a speaker connected; although, I am sure I could connect one.

I did try it with another SATA drive, which had XP installed. I know the GPU works because I tried it in another computer.

The first time I sent in the MB I also sent in the CPU. So, both are replacements. With the first MB, I had installed it in the case. And also tried it outside the case.

since I have no speaker, nor do I get the monitor to come out of standby, I have no way of knowing if it is going through the POST.

P.S. The MB only has a socket for the 24 pin power cable. The smaller, 8 pin is not connected.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

harleyman
    Your problem is that...

That AMD mobo HAS an 8 pin connector you need to connect..Just looked at a picture of it...

harleyman
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...d%20-%20Retail

Right next to Ultra Duriable on heatsink...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowIm...d%20-%20Retail

Right next to Ultra Duriable on heatsink...
    *Slaps Forehead* Duh!

I will try that in the morning. *Jezzzz, i can't believe I can be so stupid %^^$@...
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

harleyman
    They work better with fullpower..

LOL

Been there done that too...........:ernae::ernae:

Retired SOH Administrator
    John, sorry to hear ya have some trouble...can drive ya up a wall. Looking at the MB, in the top LT. corner, there is one power plug, then the middle center, another. The V. card has 2. If you have a ohm meter, make sure you have the 12 volts at those plugs.All the rest take 3 volts. If you have a spare memory, swap that first.Have you tried putting the Vcard and the memory in the other computer to make sure both are working.If you have a spare HD drive install it with a new cable. Nothing has to be on it to boot to the BIOS.If you have done all of these, it narrows down to the processor,MB and possible ground. If you know for sure you aren't grounded out, try swapping out the processor...if you have done all of these the MB is bad. Remove all unnecessary hardware. You do not need the keyboard, mouse or any other USB device to boot. Strip as much as you can. MB,PS,Vcard,one hd,one stick of memory,processor is all you need to boot to BIOS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarEagle View Post
    Regardless of OS, there should still be video and access to the BIOS. Should have video and BIOS access even without a HDD installed.

So true. But he never said he tries to enter the bios at all....OS or no OS...

Retired SOH Administrator
    Well, that is the first thing he needs to do to see what is going on. If he can't get a picture of that ....that will help eliminate some of the quess work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Blog Entries

Having motherboard problems - update

I would first of all like to thank everyone who has offered suggestions to me. Thanks for you help.

Update:
    I have checked the MB connections and the power supply plugs and find that the MB, as Harleyman said, has a 2x4 12 vdc sodket. However, the PS only has a single 4 wire 12 vdc plug.

Checking the pin drawings, the ground and 12vdc match for one side of the 2x4 12vdc. So, should I try plugging into the matching pin location and give 12vdc to one half of the socket? Since, the pins (squares and arches) match and the pin outputs match (GND & 12 vdc) I don't think it would hurt the MB. However, before doing so, I want other opinions.

I have attached a scan of the PS and MB pages dealing with the plugs. Well forget about that. I can't attached the file??
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

harleyman
    I would not run it a half power..

You need a PSU with a 24 pin and a 8 pin (or a 6+2)