more smoke

Thread: more smoke

more smoke

I have some effects that rely on using the smoke function to be seen. The problem I ran into recently was that I have different effects relying in the smoke section. I opened up the xml to see if I could make one of them smoke.1 so I could use more than 1 effect but only could see a reference to smoke not smoke.0 like I had hoped. I was just going to change the reference from smoke .0 to smoke.1 and put my second effect in as smoke.1 and see what happened. Any ideas? I hope this is a little clear :isadizzy:

Thanks,
    LouP

Lou,

I think all you have to do is copy the existing effect and name it smoke.1, then change the reference in the lights section.

If you are referring to a gauge call-out of the effect, it would be referencing only the smoke system on/off switch effecting all smoke to activate.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Hi Milton,

Thanks, I figured that you would be one of the few people that even knew what the heck I was asking . To be more specific, I am trying to install a heat shimmer effect in Owen Hewitts Jet Ranger and right now I have Nick's prop dust effect occupying the smoke system. The neam of the effect is "fx_Heatshimmer3.fx" and it is all driven by a cab file that comtains an xml with no entries in the lights section. The directions say "There is already a section called [SMOKESYSTEM]: You have to delete this smokesystem section first!" which I really don't consider an option since I did so much work putting in Nick's effects on my aircraft (so many) The effect only works with engine type 3 and is somehow dependent on the 206 sound file

LouP
    (making a better fsx every day with fs9 )

Lou,

It sounds like the gauge requires that you delete the Smokesystem entry. Why not try that to see if the heat shimmer works.

If by leaving the Smokesystem section in the cfg, you lose the shimmer effect, then that is likely the way it must be. Apparently the cfg presence overrides the gauge activation.

You might write to the author for clarification.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

MS only allows 1 smokesystem code to run so the only choice is to have a gauge control that heatshimmer as a LIGHT but therein starts the fun as you have to look at fx to see if they offset it due to smokesystem & lights using different format for location or should I say smokesystem's lack of VERTICAL position not being recognized. You CAN look at fx offsets and adjust accordingly as Lights can be positioned anyplace as long as you don't exceed the 17 limitation or have another gauge using the same key, such as these #'s reflect-

[#1 = Beacon, #2 = Strobe, #3 = Nav, #4 = Cockpit, #5 = Landing, #6 = Taxi, #7 = Recog, #8 = Wing, #9 = Logo, #10 = Cabin]

Thanks for the idea crazy, worked perfectly. I tied it to the beacon as that is always turned on b4 the engine starts. It's not tied to the engine running as it was designed but an acceptable compromise

LouP