IRIS Pro Series F-111G Work in Progress Shots.. :) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IRIS Pro Series F-111G Work in Progress Shots.. :)

Regarding the nose, yes, the F-111 has a significant dip on the underside from the front of the nosewheel doors which then steadily curves upwards through to the end of the nosecone.

Our model currently doesn't feature this rather unique identifying feature of the aircraft, however it won't be a problem to alter the mesh accordingly.

As for variants, we're doing the F-111G, rather than do a bunch of different models, we've decided to focus all our efforts on perfecting one variant and seeing what the future holds for 'expansion' packs...

It is early days though, but it's shaping up very nicely indeed.

One thing we do want to let people know is that I've got 10 slots open for the F-111 Dev Team. Those with fanatical interest (i.e. F-111 Rivet Counters and/or engineering or piloting experience on the F-111 would be very much appreciated.)

I'm also looking to subcontract the avionics coding for the F-111. specifically in relation to the Autopilot/CDU and MFD systems. Anyone with XML/C++ experience in FSX is MORE than welcome to contact me via PM.

Same with the dev team...if you're interested in assisting in this fantastic project, please PM me with your details.

Regards

David.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Ummm, yeeeeaaaaahhhhhh.. work with it every day.. litterally.. I mean, it's close. It's so close that if it had a cold you'd catch it, and it reallyg is just a quibble because if i'm correct, there was more than one nose shape used on these guys depending on their mission..
    Here's a good example of Miss Piggy nose...
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...11A/1492143/M/

and heres another..
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...11E/1473965/M/

even the venerated F-111G has a curved nose. mind you it's less than a 1 degree curve, but it's still there..
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...11G/1467736/M/

Hope this helps ..
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Heyyy. my slots taken. By me!! ( i hope ::chuckles:: )

Blog Entries
    Hey smudge! come on MSN.. I got a Present for ya ::lol:;.. your gonna love it..

Looks great David.

I've seen many FB-111's liftoff from Plattsburgh Air Force Base up in northern NY during Deserst Storm heading for Iraq. There were the prettiest Pigs I've even seen. And they sure had a long flight to deliver pig poo to Iraq. I hope you can do a skin for them. http://www.strategic-air-command.com...sburgh_AFB.htm No FB-111 photos tho.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

tigisfat
    Warchild, those pics all looked like the same nose to me.

Can we please....

....get a "ferry" loadout on the -G and -F? (Four underwing tanks and no external weapons)...

Kent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    Warchild, those pics all looked like the same nose to me.
    They may very well be.. It wouldnt be the first time my old eyes played tricks on me ::chuckles:;..

Be great to have a F-111 for FSX.

The F-111F had the same Triple Plow 2 inlets - a minor point but nonetheless important since the F-111F had uprated engines producing a max AB of 25,100 compared to 20,350 on the FB-111.

I must also mention that my book shows the FB-111 with extended wings that when swept back reach the tip of the tail planes just like the RF-111C. FB-111 overall span of 70ft as opposed to 63 feet on the F-111F. Now it looks like your model has this major difference already, so ignore that if it does!

The FB-111 and later non SAC F-111G had a hump in front of the nose which ideally should be present on the Aussie Pigs.

From memory Pave Tack was only on F-111F's. The FB-111 was the SAC version that according to a book I have here was a marriage of the F-111D fuselage and inlets to the larger wing of the F-111B and C.

Wouldn't mind being a tester although cockpits are not my thing, but I have a few books on the Pig that might provide some useful info on exterior peculiarities of the FB variant. I also must point out that I build models for AlphaSim, but I do love the F-111 - they used to be based at Lakenheath 30 minutes from here, nothing compares to seeing them take-off - F-15's look puny by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    Just curious as to whether or not you've actually seen this model from the side?

KC
    Just looking at the first two shots, the nose appears to be circular in cross-section as it tapers to its point. There is enough of an angle to the view to distinguish that.

As Smudge says, it doesn't yet have that distinctive accentuated underside curve, and is to be added.

Charter Member 2015
    I'm sure the folks at http://www.f-111.net/ could help out.

A working escape pod animation would be cool
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Only a G model...hmm. My next question is: are there going to be paints for the G model that was based at Cannon AFB, and the FB's out of Pease and Plattsburg AFB? That would be nice.
    :ernae:

We made this model and the curve is present, though, because it is a late model F variant (fighter/bomber) without the early, larger, radar system, the curve is less pronounced.
    If you wish, you can go here and check out a side view I have posted on our site. (I still can't seem to upload files)

http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=402

I also include a nice side view here that, if you wish, you may overlay on top of ours and see... not much difference at all...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...226c84fa380344

KC.

Looking good David, remember seeing these coming over the UK as a kid.
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

CenturySeries - http://www.f-111.net/ext_diff.htm is a good reference page we're using which covers the main external differences in the models.. the website in itself is a very useful mine of information.

The hump is ALSO located on the F-111G flown by the RAAF, as I've seen many images of it on airliners.net..

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Austr...4d253ed2c619b4 is just one.

Colin & Bone - We're doing the G model basically because it allows us to provide not only the later, more advanced avionics suite, but also because it allows us to satisfy both the Australian and American markets, and being we're an Australian based group, I'd be roasted significantly if I didn't honour my promise to provide an Aussie F-111.

With that said, there are options open for other variants down the road. At the moment though, our priorities are simple...do one variant and do it well..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup, got that... was just showing that the model does have it... (not as pronounced as the G's though...)

ANYWAY... looks nice with that Aussie paint job... (and, I too, can't wait to fly it!!!)

kc

I wonder if this would be enough to get my cousin to buy FSX?

He used to fly that pig and is now retired, humm.

That might be just the product that pushes him over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    I don't want to sound critical, so please take this as constructive, but in the first shot the nose doesn't quite look right. The F-111 has a very distinctive nose profile and maybe its the angle the shot was taken? But to my eyes it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.

Looks fantastic, been waiting for a new Pig for ages!!

Just found this pic (might be worth flippin it) - see how the nose right at the end is curved upwards more at the end.

http://www.wallpapergate.com/data/me...79/F_111_1.jpg
    thats really well spotted i wouldn't have noticed that but i agree its not the right shape it almost reminds me of a duckbill lol but this one is just too pointed!! i hope you can eject the pod on it too!! wouldn't that be great.. here's a challenge put an engine in it so you can steer yourself to dry land if you land in the sea lool !!

Blog Entries
    wellll, except for that rather silly remark about the engine, i must confess that i've been considering exactly that. How might the pod with parachute be ejected and function..

This has great potential and is one of the reasons i purchased FSX in the first place.

I knew this was on the drawing board some time ago, and to see it coming together now is just fantastic.

I will be watching this very closely indeed.

Some good detail points have been raised so far.

Cheers.