How to properly install acceleration on a perfectly balanced SP2 install?

Thread: How to properly install acceleration on a perfectly balanced SP2 install?

How to properly install acceleration on a perfectly balanced SP2 install?

OK here is the issue:

After a lot of effort I have managed to have a very well balanced, at least to my liking, and tweaked FSX SP2 install with a few addon planes plus Traffic X, UTX Europe and REX, three addons I like a lot. However, watching threads here about carrier ops make me want to go out and find Acceleration, so I can try my hand at deck landing a fast jet.

I read that acceleration can not be installed on top and you need a clean install of FSX. I really would not want to destroy what I have and start from scratch. Is backing up the fsx folder or selected folders and then copying over the fresh FSX+accelleration a good idea?

harleyman
    I believe your best bet is this..

Uninstall your addons so FSX is back to stock...(planes and sceneries)

Defragg that drive....

Save a copy of your FSX config.( for reference to add your tweaks back in)(do not migrate the complete config back, just rewrite the tweaks you have)

Delete your FSX config now, Load FSX and let it build a new one...Fly for a minute to get it all set again..

Close FSX and defragg...

Now add Acceleration...Load a flight again...Close and defragg

Now you will need to add your tweaks back in again...But remember, with acceleration you now get SP 1 and 2 ..if you did not have SP 2 before your tweaks may be somewhat different now.So you need to experiment more with them as to what works (maybe, not always)

That is how I would do it...Others may have different ideas....

Thanks Harleyman!

I figured the best way would be something like this. However, so many defrags and reainstalls really put me off. I think I'll save acceleration for the unfortunate moment that my install breaks. I'll just enjoy what I have now for as long as it lasts.

harleyman
    So many ?? Its two defraggs.....

Then one install of Acceleration..

Oh yea...Plus your addons...

Actually you mentioned three defrags, plus the necessary defrags after installing major addons like REX and UTX. I agree this is the way to go but I have to dedicate a day to do that, not easy to find, so I'd rather fly the sim instead during those precious hard earned moments within the day.

I appreciate your help and I will follow that road when I decide to. That new FSNation carrier is a good incentive. I also anxiously await the release of GEX Europe and perhaps when this is out and I get it, it would be a good opportunity for a fresh start.

I just hope I'd be able to get hold of a copy of acceleration.

harleyman
    I see...Never thought about defraggs between your installs too...I see your point.....

What's the difference between one defrag at the end and three in between?
    Power Supply: LC8850 850W
    Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD4
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz
    Memory: MMUSHKIN 3x2GB HP3-12800 DDR3 3x2GB 1600MHz
    Video Card: Geforce GTX 285
    Addons: ASA, GEX, UT2, FSPassengersX

harleyman
    The theory is that after each install(cause they are big) is to defragg...That gets the drive set for the next big install... And keeps things in order better...