Video Capture help Please

Thread: Video Capture help Please

harleyman

Question Video Capture help Please

Am having a bad rippleing effect in FSX.....My wife just suggested some video to show just what it looks like...Then maybe I can get the files and send them to someone who is helping me and needs to see just whats its doing....

I will need to install FSX on my wifs computer(mine, but she has use of it while hers is getting fixed...Don't ask)

I won't have much time to learn to do this in the game...

So I'm after just basic / simple ways to capture FSX from inside the cockpit with video and then how to get it to media player so I can send it to my friend..Or post it somewhere easily..No you tube account...

Any help is mucho appreciated....Thanks...

FRAPS and Windows Movie Maker.

Fraps can do 30 second recordings I believe if you don't purchase it, which in this case would probably work.

Use Windows Movie Maker to make it into a usable format with appropriate size. WMM comes with windows, so you should have it on your computer.

icarus
    you can use fraps or camtasia to capture videos and if you save as .avi you can easily play with mediaplayer

harleyman
    I'll check out Fraps...I thought FSX did vidoe capture...Am I wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    I'll check out Fraps...I thought FSX did vidoe capture...Am I wrong?

Thanks
    No, it does not. It only records flight, which can only be played back within FSX itself.

harleyman
    Thanks guys...i tried the game one and was missing some codec for it...But used Fraps and got a perfect 30 sec capture of FS9 and its in Media player file format and will send right to Skype for transfer...

PERFECT....thanks a lot....:ernae:

Charter Member 2015
    30 sec Fraps video file will be BIG:d......you may need to "shrink" it.
    Have you tried a different gfx card?....could be possible that you've a defective card.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

harleyman
    Hi Kilo....Yup......Tried three Monitors to no avail, so moved on to testing with different video card...

Started with one of my wifes 8800GT overclocked ones...Still the same....

When I replaced her card for her to back to SLI,her box just totally died...

It looks like the Mobo,Ram, and perhaps a boot sector off her Raptor just kicked the bucket....

It arrives back at Digital Storm today for repairs.....I spent all day testing components and switching them around ...No joy...Its just dead...:isadizzy:

Now she has my rig till hers is back after its month long vacation....

Does FSrecorder do the same things as Fraps and does it record AI things?

VCN-1

Charter Member 2015
    FSRecorder does not record video. It's a tool for playing back your flights as AI.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

harleyman
    Well fraps was a bust...It showed nothing but stutters......And thats on a E8600 at 3.33 Ghz too..

Whats the point of that if its not smooth at all....????:isadizzy:

Looks like I'll be breaking out the Cam Corder and tri-pod and shipping a disk....LOL

Thanks for the help though..... But I struck out on this one..Par for the coarse....:costumes:

Charter Member 2015
    Hmmmm......have you run memtest or tried different memory? Fraps should be running smooth on your system.

EDIT: Also are you running the latest mobo BIOS (leaving the default settings..ie no overclocking)with the latest chipset drivers.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Hmmmm......have you run memtest or tried different memory? Fraps should be running smooth on your system.

Hi Kilo Delta...Yea...We have tested every single piece of equipment in this rig........Even RMAed the mobo and vid card plus a V-Raptor....The drive now in use is a new Seagate with a 32Mb cache...Still the same old thing.........

But my wife is using it now till hers returns, so I can't do muck=h now anyway...But will run memtest again when I get it back....

Thanks

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post

EDIT: Also are you running the latest mobo BIOS (leaving the default settings..ie no overclocking)with the latest chipset drivers.

Missed this...I have the latest revision mobo from Gigabyte and the latest drivers for it ....No overclock yet..but with a small OC once the memory did fail...So who knows...Maybe I do have bad ram.......

SOH-CM-2024
    I haven't checked into the FSX built in recorder, but I have registered FRAPS harleyman.

In FS9, FRAPS is cool, 30 fps while recording. In FSX not so cool, 14-15 fps while recording.

I did a little comparison video that I embedded in the a post on the FS9 Forum. Granted YouTube leaves much to be desired, the edited video is great. I capture at half-size in FRAPS, important for steady recording. I use a 1280 X 1024 screen, hence my video captures are 640 X 512.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=1500

Caz

Charter Member 2015
    I've heard of some compatibilty issues with the 4870X2 and some DFI motherboards...maybe Gigabyte have a similar issue? I've seen your post on the AMD forums and am suprised at the lask of a response.
    I'm clutching at straws here as it's very difficult to diagnose some compter hardware issues without having the PC literally in front of you, but have you used different DVI cables too when trying the new monitors or have you used the original cable? Reason I ask is because i've experienced faulty DVI cables in the past.
    Hope you get this issue sorted ASAP

harleyman
    Thanks Cazzie..

Intresting vidio...Plainly it shot FS9 much more fluid than FSx....

I need near perfect qualitl unfortunately to see my screen rippling in FSX I'm affraid...So its time for the Cam corder I think...To bad there is no better program for capturing......

I don't have many issues recording with FRAPS. There are however a few things to consider that makes FPS more friendly...

- Record to a second hard drive. This does help a bit, as the main hard drive is driving FSX, the second will be working with FRAPS.
    - Record at full size
    -Turning off sound may help
    -Any background tasks can and will cause issues and lower FPS, especially since FSX is already a CPU heavy application
    - Don't film at any higher than 30FPS (movies are filmed at 24 and NTSC is only 29 or there abouts). The higher you have FRAPS set your FPS, the bigger the hit you will take.

I only have a E6400 OCed to 3.1GHz, 2 GB of RAM and a Nvidieo 8800 GTX 768VRAM. I get on average 30-50+ FPS normally with all settings on their highest (mind you, not sliders, bloom off and water at 2x low). When recording, that only jumps down to selected framerate and/or down by about 5-10FPS. I also have a "few" select FSX tweaks in my fsx.cfg file.

I swear by my method, and it is what I use for all my videos, both commercial and non-commercial.

Guncam www.growlersoftware.com is quite configureable but best as I recall does not record sound.
    Will output to avi, jpeg or gif movie. and does have trial option.

harleyman
    Thanks...I have used several monitors and cables, both DVI and VGA ,same results......I am appauled at the lack of responce from the ATI forums..After a while I just got disguested and starten being a brat to them..I fuigured why not, they won't reply anyway..Whats the dfference..Made me feel better anyways...LOl

I locked fraps to 24 with no sound..however only had one HDD connected at the time as I inhooked the others for safety sake...

Thanks for all the help...