FSX Real World Weather

Thread: FSX Real World Weather

navyjake

Question FSX Real World Weather

I know I saw an answer to this but have been unable to find it again, so I apologize for asking this again.
    Is FSX native Real World Weather downloads no longer working due to the demise of the design team at Microsoft? My recent downloads have all been the same, wind speed, dew point, visibility, etc. This all in spite very recent stormy weather in my region. If this is the case can I get some suggestions as to a replacement, is there a replacement or an alternative to this download? I really enjoy flying in Real World Weather conditions as opposed to setting the weather manually.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by navyjake View Post
    I know I saw an answer to this but have been unable to find it again, so I apologize for asking this again.
    Is FSX native Real World Weather downloads no longer working due to the demise of the design team at Microsoft? My recent downloads have all been the same, wind speed, dew point, visibility, etc. This all in spite very recent stormy weather in my region. If this is the case can I get some suggestions as to a replacement, is there a replacement or an alternative to this download? I really enjoy flying in Real World Weather conditions as opposed to setting the weather manually.
    <o></o>
    Thanks in advance.
    I don´´t know if the FSX weather engine is working or not since I have never used it since it never was any good at all.....since FS9 and now in FSX the best weather engine around is Hi Fi´s "ACtive Sky". It is the only engine that portrays hurricanes and gives you the real deal weather around the world. I Never fly without it.....if we simulate flying, how can it be without "real weather", only in Missions I use the doodle weather themes FSX has........check Hi Fi´´s stuff you will be surprised.:gossip:
    here................http://www.hifisim.com/asx.php

harleyman
    It works still..but its extremely inaccurate at best...

Better to set up your own wind speeds and clouds thru the weather set up in FSX than rely on real world weather updates I think

SOH-CM-2023
    Active Sky X is a good alternative. The program downloads METAR and TAF data and provides a textual decode of the data. The program seems to introduce more layers of weather than is decoded so that may give weather you don't wan't. I'm sure its not perfect but makes flying much more interesting.

[QUOTE]
    Active Sky X is a good alternative. The program downloads METAR and TAF data and provides a textual decode of the data. The program seems to introduce more layers of weather than is decoded so that may give weather you don't wan't. I'm sure its not perfect but makes flying much more interesting.
    <!-- / message -->[QUOTE]

If its going to be true "real world weather" then there Should be a surprise or two hidden in there--ever seen a real forecast that's EXACTLY correct?:ernae:

navyjake

Smile Real World Weather

Thanks for the inputs!
    I read the third party reviews on Active Sky X bundled with X Graphics and saw no negative thoughts on this product. Before I spend the coin any furthers thoughts from this very knowledgeable group?

I use and recomend FS Meteo. It's reasonably priced and very accurate. I got tired of the 50 mile visability in the default weather. Even with FSUIPC that isn't right. a 10 mile would be more accurate as that is pretty clear but still have some haze.
    Try it, I think you will be happy with it.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Charter Member 2015
    I've had nothing but problems with Active Sky X and the upgrade to that program. So I stopped using it. Lost $$! Hate that.

David

harleyman
    But ASX Pre Update was great..its just been since the update that their forums have really heated up......

i have used as6 FOR WEATHER IN fsx,IT TOO WORKS GREAT WITH fex OR ANY THIRD PARTY CLOUD TEXTURES.....

Opps..Sorry bout the caps..i was not yelling....LOL:faint:

Harleyman, I have AS 6.5 which I use in FS9. Can it be used in FSX too ?

JSkorna
    Hi,

Yes, the weather function in ASv6.5 will work in FSX with FSUIPC4 installed.

FYI All: ASX has not changed, in a major way, for a long time now.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Harleyman, I have AS 6.5 which I use in FS9. Can it be used in FSX too ?

Yes it works great too...............Just hollar if you need some set up tips...

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Yes it works great too...............Just hollar if you need some set up tips...
    Thanks very much! I'll give you a shout if needs be.

navyjake

Real World Weather

Well I dropped the coin and did the download and install this weekend. I got the bundled Active Sky X and X Graphics. I also installed SP4 for both of these products.
    Installation and configuration went without a hitch.
    It just happened to be storming at my local airport, so I took a little IFR spin to an airport a few miles away. I must say I was greatly impressed with the visuals and representation of the “correct” weather. I have a few thousand hours actual flight time, and this was just like it was suppose to be. As a further test I loaded just the graphics portion for a FSX mission and what a difference. Better than normal FPS, and no stuttering.
    Over all impressions, with the numerous (an understatement), configuration possibilities and great weather, the product ranks as one of the best add-ons I have. For what it’s worth I would highly recommend this product.
    Now I just have to find the time for more flying.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    i have used as6 FOR WEATHER IN fsx,IT TOO WORKS GREAT WITH fex OR ANY THIRD PARTY CLOUD TEXTURES.....:faint:
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!!

:d

As for weather tools: Nothing's better than ASX. For now.

Real weather works great for me.... It usually matches the METAR very closely

Be sure to check "download winds aloft"

Quote Originally Posted by navyjake View Post
    Well I dropped the coin and did the download and install this weekend. I got the bundled Active Sky X and X Graphics. I also installed SP4 for both of these products.
    Installation and configuration went without a hitch.
    It just happened to be storming at my local airport, so I took a little IFR spin to an airport a few miles away. I must say I was greatly impressed with the visuals and representation of the “correct” weather. I have a few thousand hours actual flight time, and this was just like it was suppose to be. As a further test I loaded just the graphics portion for a FSX mission and what a difference. Better than normal FPS, and no stuttering.
    Over all impressions, with the numerous (an understatement), configuration possibilities and great weather, the product ranks as one of the best add-ons I have. For what it’s worth I would highly recommend this product.
    Now I just have to find the time for more flying.
    There you go......Best weather engine around!!!!!!!!..and wait for Hurricane season and you´´ll love it......:faint:

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!!!!

:d

LOL...I was to lazy to rewrite it........:faint: