configuration file

Thread: configuration file

configuration file

Does X plane have a configuration file anywhere? I installed it today and when changing some settings I switched the in game color to 16 bit now the sim won't load ,I just get the (incountered a problem and needs to close)so I cant't get back in to change it back.HELP.

Try moving the Preferences folder out of the X-Plane 9/Output/ folder, then see if it will start.

Jim

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoe6969 View Post
    Does X plane have a configuration file anywhere? I installed it today and when changing some settings I switched the in game color to 16 bit now the sim won't load ,I just get the (incountered a problem and needs to close)so I cant't get back in to change it back.HELP.

Hey Thoe,

Yes it does.

Naviagate to the X-Plane folder, go to Resources folder, go to Preferences folder, and note all of the PRF files. Open one with Notepad (Right click and select Open with, browse to Notepad, select 'always open with' ).

The 'X-Plane.PRF' should have your base settings on it. Its quite similar to FS in many ways.

Hope that helps.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Thanks for the help guys,looks like this sim is going to take some getting used to.

Found the preference folder but it's empty,and I did all my render settings and joystick settings earlyer,so they should have been there,correct?

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoe6969 View Post
    Found the preference folder but it's empty,and I did all my render settings and joystick settings earlyer,so they should have been there,correct?

All I can tell you Thoe is that I have all my settings in my Preferences folder as shown in the screenshot...

I hope vista didnt delete those. (if you are using vista).

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

No,XP.I deleted the whole x plane 9 folder,ran Reg Cure,searched for x plane 9and deleted some temp files,and when I try to reinstall,it says there is allready one copy of x plane9 installed,and would I like to install a second copy.Of course I said no.Tried checking the registry,and couldn't find anything.I'm lost.

Just deleting the complete X-Plane9 folder should do.

X-Plane makes no register entries nor any other files or directories.

Everything is in the X-Plane9 directory.

See the X-Plane manual.

Leen de Jager

SOH-CM-2014
    I was going to say, XP9 doesnt even show up in the Programs folder. Its like an alien to Windows.

When I tried installing it onto a diff drive, it found it, and so I halted the installation and renamed my XP9 folder, and it was good to go.

If you do wish to do a total reinstall, just delete that existing folder like FlyBike suggests and it should install fine.

(should... )

Bill

Ok I reinstalled again and the x plane 9 folder shows up in mine did all my settings and everything works ,but took a while to get my settings working on my x 52,but now my rudder keeps flopping around all the time while flying ,making the plane jump around.But other than that everythings ok. Thanks for all your help guys.

SOH-CM-2014
    Glad its working again proper Thoe,

See if you can calibrate your joystick setup. That should take care of your rudder issue.

Can you see if you have files in your Resources folder? I would be curious to know. It would be odd if I was the only one with these and no one else had them, lol..

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

See if you can calibrate your joystick setup. That should take care of your rudder issue.

Can you see if you have files in your Resources folder? I would be curious to know. It would be odd if I was the only one with these and no one else had them, lol..

Bill
    No the files are not there even after doing all the settings. Strange because it's saving all the settings.

Look in X-Plane/Output/ and see if you have preferences there. That's where mine are I believe.

Jim

SOH-CM-2014
    Man.. That is so wierd.

Perhaps I have some older version?! I did do the updates though. I should have the latest/greatest version.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
    Look in X-Plane/Output/ and see if you have preferences there. That's where mine are I believe.

Jim
    Yep mine to, they look like keys ,open with notepad like Bill said and there is the congig.files .Thanks ,you guys got me going in the right direction.I can't run everything on super high,but the resolution I can,but still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

Bill
    Yep recalibrated the the yaw axis and the rudder floping stopped .Thanks