any fish experts here?

Thread: any fish experts here?

any fish experts here?

a friend asked me to help identify this fish. i thought
    "if anyone would know, maybe one of the outhouse guys would know"

Well,
    It's not a salt-water fish....

pointy31
    Looks like a yellow-bellied salmon to me...

Retired SOH Administrator
    Not a fish expert, but it looks like a Discus fish... very close!

Eli

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A fish stick?

that's what i love about this place. even when folks don't know, the answers are entertaining :costumes:

Charter Member 2011
    Not a fish stick, then, you think?
    I reckon it's made of plastic which is what is stumping everyone...

I'm guessing a Severum.

Is it one of these?: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/speci.../serverus.html

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Mrs Willy says it's a gold discus.

I'm still leaning towards the fish stick theory myself.

That is a male Gold Sererum. I have one in my 55 gallon, which is just about 8 feet to my left as I type this. Sid, named after the sloth in Ice Age, is nearly 9 inches long and gets along very well with the smaller fish in the tank (Bolivian Ram, Keyhole Cichlid, 4 Giant Danios, 2 Banjo Catfish, a Pictus Catfish and a Cory Catfish). Gold Severums, on average, hit 6 to 7 inches in length and can live upwards of 15 years in a well maintained and properly sized and stocked tank. We have had Sid since SHE was the size of a quarter, a little over 2 years. When fish are small, especially cichlids, telling male from female can be next to impossible...so we just name them what ever we want...though some find it odd to name a fish. As Sid matured, it became clear that we have a female....she does not have the red streaks or the red eyes that are hallmarks of male Severums.

Gold Severums are smaller than the Green Severum, which can hit 12 inches.

Yeah, I'm a fish guy. I have a 55 gallon in the living room with two Common Goldfish and a 38 here in the office with a female Convict Cichlid and a male Convict Cichlid/Texas Cichlid cross...he is named Mr. Mean for a reason, just as the female Convict is names Mrs. Mean....meanest dang fish I have ever seen. I used to be very very active on Oscarfish.com, and am a member of the advice team on that site. My activity level on that forum declined greatly after getting CFS2 and finding this site.....planes being a bigger passion than fish. A few years ago, my wife and I had ten aquariums up and running...now we are at three..and my weekly workload of tank maintenance is much more manageable.

OBIO

I used to keep a few aquariums, but I was more into native species, perches like Longear Sunfish in particular. I got started into those when my son caught his first fish in a creek near the house, a male Green Sunfish. (note, we call sunfish bream around here)

I put the fish that he named Bubba into a tank that held a somewhat larger male Jack Dempsey. Within 24 hours, that Jack Dempsey had been been reduced to hiding in a upper corner by the bream who took over that tank. I don't think there's a cichlid around that can take a bream in a fight if they're close to the same size. They're that mean. I got to where I specialized in Dollar Sunfish a smaller species that while are a smaller species, are very aggressive even by bream standards. But they're brightly colored and fun to watch.

Dang, yall got me to thinking about setting up my old tanks again with some bream.

Willy

I totally agree with you on the toughness and aggression of sunfish and bluegills. Pound for pound, they can hold their own with the meanest of Cichlids. One of the mods on Oscarfish.com is totally into natives. He has quite a collection of natives from his area. For a while he had a large mouth bass that he collected when it was just an inch long. It got to about a foot, maybe a foot and a half. It died suddenly and for no apparent reason.

I have been keeping fish on and off for 35 years or so. Got my first tank when I was 5 or 6 years old...a little 15 gallon, slate bottom tank. I would go to the creek and catch small sunfish, small bass, stone rollers...bring them home and keep them for a while. Feed them and watch them grow. From time to time, a baby catfish would show up in the minnow tank at the local bait shop and the owner would let me have it. I would take the baby catfish home, grow it out until it was about 4 inches long then take it to the creek and let it go.

At some point, I would love to set up a nice big (300 gallon or so) native tank...but that would require buying a house with a nice finished basement to keep the tank in first, and the tank...both of which are just a tad outside of our budget at this time.

I am uploading a video of my office 55 and once it is up, I will post a link to the video so you folks can see my Gold Sev, Bolivian Ram, Keyhole, Cory, Pictus and Giant Danios. My wife and I just got a new digital camera (GE A735, 7 megapixel, $80, totally impressed with the quality of the pics and videos this camera takes) and forgot that the camera will record sound with video. If I had remembered that, I would have narrated the film and named the fish as I filmed them.
    http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...=Office552.flv

OBIO

Happiness Consultant
    It's not square enough to be a sandwich .... :friday:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

I was gonna say it's not a Koi, and say it was one of those slabsided Yellow Red-eyed Frisbee Fin Stickers common to The Gordon's Fishermens box.... beer batter dipped.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    That is a male Gold Sererum. I have one in my 55 gallon,
    thanks obio

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I used to keep a few aquariums, but I was more into native species...

I put the fish that he named Bubba into a tank that held a somewhat larger male Jack Dempsey. Within 24 hours, that Jack Dempsey had been been reduced to hiding in a upper corner by the bream who took over that tank.
    almost 20 years ago i had a bass i named bubba. i grew him from about 8" till he was about 5lbs, around 23" with a big belly. my 3 yr old (at the time)
    killed it by throwing dirty socks in the tank all the time. apparently watching him was too much for his mommy to handle.