FSX Freezing - BIOS Settings

Thread: FSX Freezing - BIOS Settings

skipastra

FSX Freezing - BIOS Settings

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I'm experiencing frequent lockups in FSX particularly when changing views or loading a new aircraft. It also seems to take a while to load textures. I was thinking it could be my BIOS settings as all the components are fairly new. I've loaded the default options for the board but am still having problems.

Any help or suggestions would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks

James

Mainboard: XFX 790i Ultra
    CPU: Intel Core2 Extreme QX9670
    Memory: Corsair 4gb XMS PC3-12800 9-9-9-24
    GPU: Sapphire ATI HD4870x2 1gb
    PSU: Coolermaster Real Power Pro 1250W

I know how you feel. This is why I wanted to know peoples op system and if they have CTD's. I've got a similiar build to yours:

QX9650
    NVIDIA 780i SLI mobo
    2 x geforce 8800gtx's
    Vista ultimate 32 bit

harleyman
    I doubt its a bios setting ...Does this happen if you are not flying?

If that is a new set-up I would think more heat related..

If that is the first time you have used that vid card what are your fan settings?

Its a real hot card...I have the same...

Go into the Catalist Control Center and set your fan speed to 100%

Then see what it acts like....

Retired SOH Administrator
    Memory/1.5volt/Disable CPU Spread Spec./That processor you have overclocks very well. Take it to 3.6/ also you have another problem going on. Your system should handle FSX with no problem, what kind of temps are you pulling on you Vcard.What is running in the back ground.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Charter Member 2015
    I'd adjust those voltages rather than leaving them at auto. Is it the QX9650 or the QX9770 that you are running? My qx9770 is running on an Evga 790i ultra mobo and i've the voltage set at 1.45v. Also....I had to increase the voltage on my memory to 1.8v (up from 1.7) as i'm running with all slots populated. The qx chips will overclock very well...just increase the multi to 10...i'm running @4ghz on both of mine (they'll go much higher...but they are fast enough for me ). I also have my memory linked and synched.
    I had a lot of issues with the 790i mobo's when they were first released, with lockups a common occurance. There were threads all over the net with people having the same problems. Fortunately, the mobo manufacturers have largely sorted out these problems with updated bios's.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

skipastra
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Your system should handle FSX with no problem, what kind of temps are you pulling on you Vcard.What is running in the back ground.
    Thanks for your suggestions so far, which I will try. I don't think it is heat related as it has frozen twice when first switched on, even before I get into FSX. I'm running Vista x64.

Cheers

James

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by skipastra View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions so far, which I will try. I don't think it is heat related as it has frozen twice when first switched on, even before I get into FSX. I'm running Vista x64.

Cheers

James

I see...Then no, its probably not temps at all...Kilo Delta is correct, the 790i boards are struggeling with that problem when released..

The manufacturers suggestions are the new chipset update....

Check to see which you have and then see if there is a newer one....You may also try setting your bios back to default or to manufactures specs on voltages ...

I always turn speed step off too....

harleyman
    Those are default for the board I see that you said....

Hmmm.....

"I'm experiencing frequent lockups in FSX particularly when changing views or loading a new aircraft."

Been there done that. Still doing it. Did a fresh reinstall of the OS and FSX about a month ago.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o> </o>
    970i with QX9650 extreme OC'd to 3.8, 4GBDDR3 Corsair @1800 with no OC and tested to death, NV280 with no OC, memory sticks and GPU board removed and reseated by me just in case, CPU and GPU both are liquid cooled, Vista 64 striped down to 28 processes after boot up with only 14% memory in use. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace w:st="on">Vista</st1lace> 64 with almost all updates - I use this box for FSX period (and O & O defrag). So I don't need updates for media center, net meeting, fax and scan, etc. and I've got all those types of services disabled anyway. 3 Vraptors with FSX on D by itself.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    I’ve run FSX in windowed mode simultaneously with CPUID to monitor temps, and Task Manager and Resource Monitor all running to see what’s turning on and off and using how much of the CPU is getting used. When a freeze does occur there is absolutely nothing that would indicate to me why. Physical Memory use never exceeds 50%, Swapfile never exceeds 30%, Kernel use numbers always stable, CPU's especially #1 and sometimes #2 but occasionally all 4 do peg at 100% but it's never frozen on me when they do peg. Event viewer and Reliabilty Monitor never shows anything useful - "Disruptive Shutdown” - no _ _ _ _. Temps are fine on the board, CPU and GPU. I've had it fail with 1300MB of Physical Memory free and had it run with only 90MB of Physical Memory free. I've tried every cfg tweak there is and every combination of in game setting adjustment to no avail. And, in truth, it doesn’t fail that often but when it does it’s … annoying to say the least.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    If it would just CTD that would be great, but it doesn't. I’ve never gotten an OOM either. Mouse and keyboard dead, screen graphic frozen, sound stutters and repeats like a needed on a scratched record (showing my age) nothing to do but hit reset button. I’ve run it with MOBO sound and an outboard card, no difference, freezes both ways. On rare occasions it will reboot the computer on it's own saving me the trouble. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    My best guess is an unstable OC on the CPU but, and here's the kicker, my pilot's log in the past week show flights I made with durations of 3hr 51min, 2hr 55min, 3hrs 10min (no freeze ups or other issues, had do go out and so ended the sessions) to go with some of less than an hour and a couple of just a few minutes when I experienced the "freeze". The maddening part is there is no consistent pattern or diagnosis I can make given my limited knowledge. Changing views from inside to outside and panning around quickly may precipitate a freeze (sound familiar?). Lowering the graphics settings makes no difference. Is it the GPU just feeding too much info to the CPU causing it to puke all over itself? Am I locking up the GPU changing views and panning too often, too quickly? I run at .30 zoom on all views and looks best to my eyes at altitude, sharpest textures but maybe too much to put through the card? <o></o>
    <o></o>
    I also have an old 4 year old AMD 2.6GHz (no OC of the CPU or GPU, 2GB of slow memory, fan cooling) set up along side of my Core 2 Quad with a complete duplicate CH controller setup, FSX and most of the same goodies added on. I do all my internet stuff, MS Office stuff, data base programs, FSX, IL21946, X-Plane 9, (I think I still have Doom III on there also - it's gotta be dusty by now) on this box as well. OS is updated XP3 on Raid 0 with a full 259. ---whatever stripe on a pair of 150 Raptors. I've been flying FSX since the day it was released. My AMD has never failed with FSX or any other program for that matter. Problem is I have to run at low (most folks would consider my low to be medium) settings, can't get a 30FPS at 500' and 300 knots, it is not smooth, microstutters too often, but it never freezes even at single digit FPS, it just stutters worse, and I can't even remember a standard CTD or OOM happening in all the years I’ve had it with any program. Again, tried every tweak I’ve ever read about to smooth things out, just not enough horsepower I guess.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    How long have we been stuck at 3.2GHz in stock CPU speed. Dual Core, Quad Core, i7 – they all appear, from what I have read, to be attempts to go around the wall not over it. They just can’t come up with a faster stock processor. And from my experience, speed seems to be the key to a smooth flying experience.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    I ran a stock FSX Accel for a month on the Vista64 box before I started installing the UTX, GEX, FEX, FSG, and a dozen or more addon planes. My experience: those addons will increase load times and put a heavier load on the CPU and GPU. But for me they also make flying FSX a magical experience at times, that’s why I persevere.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    There may be too many potential interacting culprits when the freeze occurs that I can’t identify but I continue to investigate and fiddle with things. I may experiment with some different GPU drivers next but I just don’t see that as an issue, how would that cause the sound to stutter, and mouse and keyboard to stop working? I hope to find out in time.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    My suggestion: Buy the fastest processor and other fast compatible associated hardware you can when you buy or build a new box. Avoid a cheaper, slower CPU and think you can cheat the physics of the matter with an over clock. If you buy a prebuilt computer be careful of who builds it for you, marketing hype will always surpass the truth of things. I’d try and avoid OC’ing or do it very modestly at most (3.6 seems to be the magic number for FSX from what I’ve read at numerous forums) – there’s no free lunch, FSX addons included. At this point I can’t say that <st1lace w:st="on">Vista</st1lace> 64 is a part of the problem, but XP is fairly bulletproof and if you decide to go with the 3GB switch business it could be good. As always, YMMV.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Rant over. Carry on. <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Charter Member 2015
    As i've already stated....those voltages look off,especially the memory voltage. The bios runs the ram @ 1.5v by default...check with your memory manufacturer to see what the recommended settings are for voltages.
    Have a look at this thread... http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100514310
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

skipastra
    Hi, I've upped the voltage on the memory to 1.7V which is printed on the side of the modules. I've tried running with each module on its own to check I haven't got a bad one (suggested by XFX who also confirmed I am on the correct bios version (P08)).

I am beginning to suspect the GPU (Sapphire ATI HD4870X2) as when it froze this morning I noticed distortion on the screen, this also happened in FSX. Anyone seen anything like this before?

harleyman
    Yes I have

As stated above what are your vid card temps on that 4870X2 card...it runs very hot and will cause these problems....

Fly FSX in windowed mode with CCC open and looking at your vid card temps ...

Lets start there and put that aside first....

I've been having FSX issues myself, so could anyone give me a diagnosis on my temps? I used RealTemp 3.0.

QX9650
    NVIDIA 780i SLI mobo
    2 x geforce 8800gtx's
    Vista ultimate 32 bit

Stock CPU cooler

Core 1 2 3 4 GPU

START 48c 45c 44c 44c 65c

IDLE 51c 49c 48c 48c 78c
    (after 25 min's)

FSX
    (CPU@3.0mhz) 61c 59c 58c 58c 81c

FSX
    (CPU@3.66mhz) 72c 69c 68c 68c 82c

harleyman
    Bone ...You temps are great......

The Temps @ 3.66 are still fine , but getting to that point you don't want..but if that all they go, you are fine with that...But I would check them ocassionally as thermal paste can loose its abality to keep things cool,they might rids..But by checking weekly or so will show you how its all still cooling...

I bekieve the QX9650 has a built in shut down process if the temps get to high to avoid hurting the chip if I'm not mistaken...

After looking again your last core is getting pretty hot for some reason on both clocks.... Might consider a better cooler and thermal paste for that CPU...I would for sure to be safe....Its the cheapest thing you can do to protect that chip now...

Charter Member 2015
    Bone...you'll get much lower temps if you fit a good aftermarket cooler. I wouldn't worry too much about the gpu temps (9800GX2 and ATi HD4870X2 can run in the high 90's!) though you could increase the fan speed on them if you wish (try the freeware Evga Precision tool). One thing that i've done with every gfx card i've even owned is to remove the heatsink, clean off the oem paste and reseat it using AS5 thermal compound.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post

I bekieve the QX9650 has a built in shut down process if the temps get to high to avoid hurting the chip if I'm not mistaken...

All chips have this feature now

I have got a QX6850 clocked to 3.33Ghz in a Dell 720H2C and idle is 32c across board when running FSX my max temp goes to 60c.

Mind you when I got the PC it was running at 3.46Ghz, but had to do factory install and the best I can get to 3.33 now. However I could go 3.66Ghz in the BIOS but that is just to much.

I have tried NTune, but when I hit the apply button it just freezes on me?

Thanks for the info Harley and Kilo.

I will be getting a CPU cooler, there's been a few recomended on this site that I've looked at. Also been thinking about the 790i MOBO and some DDR3 memory.

harleyman
    If you are thinking DDR3..

Think X58..............

The 790i is being problematic at times...:faint:

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    All chips have this feature now

Thank you Kilo Delta...I thought so but hate to spread lies.....:faint:

So I went safe....

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post

I have tried NTune, but when I hit the apply button it just freezes on me?
    There's your problem!.........dump Ntune as it's extremely buggy. Overclock through the bios instead.

skipastra
    Ok, thought I'd update on what has happened since last post. I ran the ATI HD4870X2 with the fan set at 100% and noticed an immediate improvement in stability but still the occasional hard freeze including at 1st boot into windows.

After contacting Sapphire (card manufacturer) and being advised by them that the card is not fully supported on the n790i board (XFX dispute this) I decided to try an XFX GTX285 Black Edition.

Wow, no CTD's, freezing and better performance - steady 30 fps even with bloom. Will keep testing but I suspect the ATI card will be appearing on an auction site in the not too distant future!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, it was warmly appreciated.

James

harleyman
    Thanks for the update.. I knew the 790i boards were having problems but thats a new one to add to the drama..not supported on that board for the 4870X2

Don't forget to keep the fan up on that card still..At least 50% and test temps under load to see..Then you know to go up or down as needed...

Use EVGA Percission for that card ,Your new Nvidia one that is...

Glad you are fixed...