A Hokie Thud

Thread: A Hokie Thud

SOH-CM-2024

A Hokie Thud

I am an alumni of Virginia Tech, which with its Corps of Cadets stands as one of the six senior military colleges in the United States. Therefore this subject was of great interest for me doing a repaint using the excellent A2A Simulations P-47D package for FSX. A huge debt of gratitude goes out to Rock Roszak, alumni director for the Corps of Cadets at Virginia Tech for his assistance in providing historical information and the profile of 1st Lt. Frankford's P-47.

1st Lt. William Ellis Frankfort, who had been enrolled at Virginia Tech in the class of 1944 left school early as so many of his countrymen did and joined the service during World War II. He flew this P-47D-16-RE in the southwest Pacific as a member of the 342th FS, 348 FG in New Guinea. He was credited with two kills and was last seen chasing a Japanese aircraft into the clouds on May 27th, 1944. He did not return to his home base and search and rescue did not find any sign of Lt. Frankfort or his aircraft.

50 years later, his wreckage was found on Biak Island and in late September 1994 a recovery team excavated the crash site and recovered Lt. Frankfort's remains, which were returned to the United States and buried with full military honors. Two years later, his Virginia Tech class ring was recovered in the jungle and also sent back to family members. His ring is now proudly displayed in the VPI Corps of Cadets Museum in Blacksburg, VA.

Just wired it up to SOH.

Caz

Great story, and great re-paint!

Jim

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Wow nice work and background!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Can not find the file
    Does it take a while ?
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Just a few colors, but alot of history. Thanks
    Curt

Charter Member 2011
    oo thats a nice one
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Can not find the file
    Does it take a while ?
    Rick
    It's up now Rick. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...o&FileID=13695

Caz

Hi Caz,

great textures, but on my rig, they suffer from the blurries (see first pic).
    Good news is, when I open the texture file in DXTbmp, and save them again as DXT5 DDS files without mipmaps, the blurries are gone (second pic). Your other paints (Preddy, Ashford) have the same problem, and the same cure fortunately. Looking at the screenshots you posted, you may be sufferering from the same problem, so this may help.

If I might make another suggestion: Have a look at where your paintlayer is within Photoshop, as it seems your white paint on the tail and wings is covering some of the line textures there (3rd pic), like the gun camera, and the gun cover plate), compare it with the 4th shot. My paintlayer is usually just above the "Curtiss" layer and below the "PTO stars", with occasionaly parts of the paintjobs at higher levels in the psd file.

Thanks for your (now) excellent textures!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Hi Caz,

great textures, but on my rig, they suffer from the blurries (see first pic).
    Good news is, when I open the texture file in DXTbmp, and save them again as DXT5 DDS files without mipmaps, the blurries are gone (second pic). Your other paints (Preddy, Ashford) have the same problem, and the same cure fortunately. Looking at the screenshots you posted, you may be sufferering from the same problem, so this may help.

If I might make another suggestion: Have a look at where your paintlayer is within Photoshop, as it seems your white paint on the tail and wings is covering some of the line textures there (3rd pic), like the gun camera, and the gun cover plate), compare it with the 4th shot. My paintlayer is usually just above the "Curtiss" layer and below the "PTO stars", with occasionaly parts of the paintjobs at higher levels in the psd file.

Thanks for your (now) excellent textures!
    Jan, I noticed that and was about to ask why, because they are not blurred on my textures? I thought I was saving them without mipmaps, but sure enough, on your suggestion, I opened the texture in DXTBitmap and like a sore thumb, there it was, the mipmap box was checked! Bless you sir, IO am going through every one of the others after I prepare breakfast and get the kids to schiool, they start 2-hr, late today.

Excellent note and advice Jan, that's what makes this place so special. :kiss:

Also, since you are doing many repaints, do you happen to know where on the texture I could fine the area underneath the cockpit's rear glazings? My anal plastic buddies informed me (and they are right), that this area should be OD, not Interior Green, sometimes referred to as "Deep Dark Green).

One reason I got out of international plastic modeling society is because those folks take things way too serious.

Caz