Alpha North American XB-70 Paint Kit in 2048 and repaints - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha North American XB-70 Paint Kit in 2048 and repaints

With the alphas done....and a redo of the text/font...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-B58-style2.jpg   XB-70-B58-styleFinal.jpg  

This one is a great "What If"!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

The B-58 inspired one has been uploaded to SOH. It includes the slightly modded model file to better imitate a metallic finish. I changed the reflection from 0.2 to 0.5 in MDLMat.

The hardest part to do was the chevrons on the tailplanes. [there are 6 bitmaps to align].....and of course the cunards which have about the oddest mapping I've ever come across in all my years of painting.

And one for the 69th Bomb Wing...Vietnam ....possibly less unlikely than some...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-B58-styleFinal2.jpg   XB-70-69th-Final.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; November 20th, 2016 at 15:57.

Makes a good shark....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Grey-Final.jpg  

Messing with a low vis version....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Grey-Final2.jpg  

Jafo, thanks for the new paints. Much apreciated.
    Just FYI in the Virtavia XB70 package, the line: "sim=XB-70" is changed to "sim=XB-70A_Valkyrie"
    If someone has trouble to make your paints to work.
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -

That's a nuisance....comes from having so many vers for so long, though I should have checked as I do have a 'vanilla' install of the Alphasim.
    Trouble was/is I also have the Wingsware, as well as a 'combined' one where I use the Alpha exterior model and the Wingsware VC.
    Probably 8 or 9 years of 'fiddling' will do this to you...

I may have to edit all of them so far.....maybe a benefit as I've still been tweaking the graphics....

I've been side-tracked with a new monitor....so everything's looking so much fancier since moving on from an ASUS MW221u that's survived 3 system upgrades [till now].

I've gone from 1680x1050 at 60hz to 2560x1440 with Gsync matching framerates...at upwards of 90hz in FSX.

The newbie is another ASUS .... a ROG Swift PG279Q IPS 27".....

Next one to upload....though I've decided the paint's too shiny....as the white looks more metal than white....so gotta redo the alphas....

Edit....knocked back the paint alpha from 160 to 200...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-TBird-Metal-Final4.jpg   XB-70-TBird-Metal-Final3.jpg  

Members +
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty wild, Jaffo. Just imagine six of 'em in echelon and full burner. Take that, planet!

That is awesome!

Now we need some Blue Angels A-5 Vigilantes to balance out.

I've just uploaded the 'metal' version of the Thunderbird here at SOH.
    Still one of my favourite paint schemes...in spite of it often being difficult to do....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-TBird-Metal-Final3.jpg  

Next one I'll upload....even more unlikely than any of the others....

Modded the bumps to make the windows more 'real'.....

This'd blow the doors off a Concorde...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Qantas-Final2.jpg  

Just uploaded the Qantas version here at SOH. Having the separate layers for windows etc would make it easy for other airlines, though as with any paint aligning lines can get irksome.....

Moved the 'Qantas' further back from the dorsal vents....wouldn't have been logical to be that close to them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Qantas-Final.jpg  

When you've really got to deliver that parcel overnight.....

Edit....looks a bit closer....bit more detail. Kinda like the painted bum.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Fedex-Final.jpg   XB-70-Fedex-Final2.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; December 6th, 2016 at 16:28.

Liking the painted bum of the Fedex got me to revisit the Qantas likewise....
    Probably need to up it as a 'V2' or something.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Qantas-New.jpg   XB-70-Qantas-New2.jpg  

I don't own this model, but your repaints and work are great!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Here's a simple one ....gonna do a more contemporary version though....this one's a bit too modern.

Edit ....older version is a pain....those dorsal vents get in the way of the graphics...the 'R' in 'American' is going to take a while...

Edit 2 .... mostly OK ....always an issue with text on the upper fuse....bends a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Panam1.jpg   XB-70-Panam-old1.jpg   XB-70-Panam-old2.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; December 7th, 2016 at 20:29.

Just uploaded the Fedex version here....
    Also upped the 'matching' paint styled rework of the Qantas - looks more stylish...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-Fedex-Final3.jpg   XB-70-Qantas-New.jpg  

Surely the RAF would grab one or two....though more likely to be more Vulcan than WW2 colour-wise...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-RAF-Final4.jpg  

Sometimes the easy way doesn't work.....as Vulcan paints go this is a bust....
    ....more to do.

Edit ....did it the longer way....there wasn't enough grey mainly.

Chucked some badges on.....badges?....we don't need no steenkin' badges.....
    IXth Bomber Squadron RAF.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-RAF-vulcan1.jpg   XB-70-RAF-vulcan2.jpg   XB-70-RAF-vulcan-final.jpg  
    Last edited by Jafo; December 10th, 2016 at 05:37.

Some of the panels are mirror-mapped so bits of a camo MUST be symmetrical. You can only deviate a bit before stuff goes out of whack .... so the Vulcan asymmetry can't really be replicated.

Maybe a B-2A Spirit - styled scheme might make sense....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XB-70-B2-style-1.jpg  

Wow ... very nice!

Jafo's paints and this thread inspired me to dust this one off which I never spent much time flying. Did a test out of Edwards and forgot how demanding the power management and flight envelope are. Also and handful - like the Hustler and Blackbird - once in the pattern and setting up to land. Like those too, restricted visibility is not your friend?

Did anyone ever mod the FDE? Perhaps not, as AS in the reference went to pains to make the flight model realistic. Also, I am perplexed by the throttle and autopilot/IAS/Mach relationship. If I set a "target" IAS or mach, it doesn't seem to follow or match the number set. Instead, it seems to call up full power and quickly overspeeds (crashes as I use full crash detection). I have read and understood the power management manual however it sometimes helps to be able to use AP.

Jafo, your creative painting really brings out the futuristic and attractive lines of the design that the real life plain white paints didn't as well. Lots of fun.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 1