Bob Hoover passed away this morning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Hoover passed away this morning

Bob Hoover passed away this morning

The legendary aviator died at his home near Los Angeles on Tuesday, at age 94, according to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.
    R.I.P Bob Hoover....

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

I think sometimes we look at these guys as larger than life and indestructible, yet they age just like any other mortal man sadly. His accomplishments and his indelible mark on Aviation in general are too numerous to list and anyone who loves the idea of flight knows his name. He joins a very select list of Aviation Pioneers who have gone before him and his contributions will last long after his passing. RIP Bob Hoover!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

He escaped Nazi prison camp by stealing a FW190 and flying to Norway! Best story I've heard!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Icon9 Reply...

I was very sad to hear this is well, having met the gentleman at OshKosh. May he fly forever up above us.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Blue Skies to one of the great aviation legends.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the memories Bob you were among the best on earth...never to be forgotten!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks for the heads up papab

My love of Mustangs started when my dad took me to an airshow in the early 60's and watched Hoover perform with his Mustang (N2251D).
    R.I.P. Mr. Hoover.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Icon2 May he rest in peace+

I met and got to spend some quality time with him years ago at an airshow. He flew both the Shrike Commander and his Yellar P-51.

Sadly, his generation is leaving us every day . I have a first cousin who is a WWII veteran. He's 93.

RD

Sad, sad news
    He will not be forgotten...

R.I.P to this Aviation legend, may you have clear sky's ahead Mr. Hoover

I saw him fly at Miramar a number of times...the engine-out routine he did in the Shrike was pretty incredible.

I thought he had already 'Gone West' as they say - though I cannot imagine he much enjoyed life after flying. He was born to it as much as anyone was ever born to do anything. Ever.

RIP R.A. (Bob) Hoover

R.I.P. to a great aviator. I saw him at many airshows and saw him up close at Oshkosh. Funny story there; after the show, we were walking back to our camping area to meet up with some friends, but as they were walking out to where we were, someone stopped and asked if they wanted a ride. Of course, it was Bob Hoover driving! That's just the kind of guy he was and how things roll at Oshkosh.

Quote OD: " He flew both the Shrike Commander and his Yellow P-51"

I met him at the Reading Airshow in the mid '7o's. He did that almost unbelievable routine in the P-51, landed, strolled over to the Aero Commander and did the same routine.
    A great pilot plus a fine gentleman.

Indeed sad news. Roger Wilco-66 and I were privileged to hear at Oshkosh this past year, his complete story about his escape from Stalag One in northern Germany two weeks before the war ended. He was sharp as a tack. Something for me to remember all the rest of my life.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Saw Mr. Hoover about 10 years ago when me and my Dad flew our Pilatus P-3 to Arlington, Washington for an EAA fly in. Remember waiting in line for a conversation and autograph with him, but had to get out of line to go pre-flight the Pilatus for our departure back to Montana. Looking back, I wish i had the extra time. Just to shake the hand of an Aviation legend like that is a rare opportunity ... Mike

When I was young I was fortunate enough to see Bob Hoover perform. What an amazing pilot! When I heard he passed away earlier this week, my first thought was that I had to paint his Shrike Commander for the Carenado 500. I'm hoping to have it finished by the end of the month. Possibly sooner. The green stripes are not in final colors. Just there for alignment. R.I.P. Bob Hoover.

Steve Stubbs
    USAF (retired)
    Lake Park, GA

SRAces,
    I could not believe that Carenado didn't offer that as a "Stock" scheme. May just be me, but I can't think of a Shrike Commander without thinking of Mister R. A. "Bob" Hoover!!! Thank you for paying tribute to him and doing his Commander. He flew many different airplanes, but that one in particular is in the Smithsonian. What he did with that Aeroplane still fascinates and amazes me.

It's getting there. No way I was going to finish it as quickly as I wanted. Having to create most of the markings from scratch. Thought I would post a "work in progress" shot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoover-WIP.jpg  
    Steve Stubbs
    USAF (retired)
    Lake Park, GA

It Looks great.... So Far So Good!!

Awesome! Looks real nice
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

All,

I just realized that my alignment of the green stripes on each side of the fuselage is off. It's off too much for "picky me" to not live with it. So I'm not getting this done as quickly as I had hoped. Spending some time on it today and thought I'd share a "work In Progress" shot. It might be at least another week before I can upload it. Thanks for your patience.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hoover_WIP-2.jpg  
    Steve Stubbs
    USAF (retired)
    Lake Park, GA

Looks perfect! Waiting for the release!

All,

The Bob Hoover paint is now in the library.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HooverCommander.jpg  
    Steve Stubbs
    USAF (retired)
    Lake Park, GA

Thank you very much! What a tribute.

Cheers,
    Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0