Synthetic Vision System for FSX/P3D

Thread: Synthetic Vision System for FSX/P3D

Synthetic Vision System for FSX/P3D

Hi,

It is the first time I post here. Some of you probably know me from FSDeveloper site where I post more often. Anyway I wanted to showcase the Synthetic Vision overlay I have created using own WebSimConnect development framework. I presented it on 10th of October on FSDeveloper website and decided to re-post it here as well.

The SVS is a customizable component that can be integrated with any existing or under development virtual aircraft. As SVS becomes more any more popular, especially in GA in modern glass cockpits, it is hight time it is available for sim community as well.

The pictures you will see below are taken from Pilatus PC-24 developed by IRIS Simulation which will be the first home for my work after the beta tests are completed. The PFD is developed using classic XML and I have provided Synthetic Vision overlay with additional features like Flight Path Symbol. The below implementation is meant to resemble Honeywell Smart View Synthetic Vision that is used in PC-24, but it could be easily adopted for other manufacturers, like Garmin, Aspen’s Evolution, Cobham for helicopters, etc.

The SVS overlay can have also have different embodiment, for example be integrated in Head-up Guidance System as showcased by Rockwell Collins.

Original Rockwell Collins

and my implementation of the similar system which I embedded into F35

clear visibility but dark:

Please note, this is not FLIR like camera, it is pure synthetic overlay projected on the HUD, same as in the real thing, i.e. scaled to the outside view.

The presented SVS is based my WebSimConnect framework that is currently used in the Tornado Panavia by SSW to simulate HUD (Heads Up Display) TFR ( Terrain Following Radar) ESRRD (E-Scope Radar Repeater Display) RPMD ( Radar Projected Map Display) TV-TAB ( Tornado TV-Tab Head-Down Display)

Cheers

Marcin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14677865_1228974090456597_288304330_o.png.jpg   hug9.jpg   hug9.jpg   HUD_483x202.jpg   14678100_1228974030456603_2113948458_o.png.jpg   14625821_1228974097123263_240787321_o.png.jpg  

5.jpg  

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    What kind of frame rate decay are we talking about? Very nice implementation and I am excited.

Oh yeah, NICE!! NC

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    What kind of frame rate decay are we talking about? Very nice implementation and I am excited.
    good point, I forgot to mention. It depends mainly on the size of SVS overlay (defined in PFD XML gauge) but there are performance/quality settings that can specified, i.e. the user might choose one of several configuration files depending on his machine power. For example you can set:
    - target FPS of the SVS overlay (independent from FSX)
    - internal caching (consumes VAS outside of FSX as SVS rendering is running as separate process)
    - quality of rendered mesh
    - zooming factor (in fact reducing viewport and later in the post-processing magnifying to fixed gauge size
    + few others

With P-24 on my dev notebook (i7 2.5G) , I have 3-5 FPS loss during flight and when SVS is disengaged (stand by mode) there is no impact. With SVS in the HUD the impact is little higher (not a lot though) as I need to perform scaling to the outside view, In F35 I have 1024x1024 HUD, SVS source is 512x512 then magnified x 2.95 (my magic scale) and then projected on the HUD to match the outside view. I have 5 FPS loss.

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Really nice idea and tool.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 0