NAS Cecil Field scenery in work.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAS Cecil Field scenery in work.....

NAS Cecil Field scenery in work.....

P-Woogey Martin and Scott Pappy are hard at work, creating a FSX/P3D native version of NAS Cecil Field, FL. I have looked forward to this, ever since John Stinstrom's FS9 version.

Here are some teaser screenshots, and will post more. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14480514_950459738432952_829380753760516503_o.jpg   14444842_950459781766281_3599604478801638192_o.jpg   14409555_950459808432945_432831900407503287_o.jpg  

Looking great but why fold wings and tail when out in the open? Tight parking?
    I like the squadron badges on the hangers.

Great news !!! Mike

They are looking at answers to that very question. As for the other side of the base, when A-7s were parked on the flightline, their wings were folded. I too, had questioned that (and I was in two Corsair II squadrons!). But after posting a question about this on FB, other vets reminded me. Aircraft would taxi out from their parking spots, then spread wings. Squadron maintenance division would fold wings sometimes when space was needed in the hangar ashore, and definitely when at sea. Wing locks were always installed with folded wings on SLUFs. A-7s wings would unfold without the locks. NC

Also, the A-7 squadrons did not paint insignias on hangar doors like the S-3s, but instead would paint them over squadron entrances on the parking lot side of their hangars. NC

I wish someone would make a nicely detailed Whidbey! This looks GREAT! I know the Chief has been wanting Cecil for years! Your wish came true, Chief!!

Don

Are the S-3's AI or converted player a/c (Dino's)? I only know of one AI S-3 and that is still under development and is a ways off.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I have an S-3 (3 models - clean, missiles and tanks) that I use as AI.
    It's the offering from Ito-san, and works just fine as AI in FSXA.

Dave
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S-3_711.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	43322

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    I wish someone would make a nicely detailed Whidbey! This looks GREAT! I know the Chief has been wanting Cecil for years! Your wish came true, Chief!!

Don
    Oh, you got THAT right!!! I was so surprised when P-Woogey and Scott Pappy contacted me about the project. Took me by complete, but welcomed surprise. Won't come as a shock to most, am sure, but I have (and keep collecting) a file of NAS Cecil Field material. Not easy to get, as (unlike Alameda) NAS Cecil Field does not have a museum, or a archived history.

And even more of a surprise to me is that the Naval Aviation Museum, here in Pensacola where I live, has zippydoodah on Cecil Field NC

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    I have an S-3 (3 models - clean, missiles and tanks) that I use as AI.
    It's the offering from Ito-san, and works just fine as AI in FSXA.

Dave

I know they are, or have already figured out their AI plans, but thank you for the information! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    I wish someone would make a nicely detailed Whidbey!

Agree with you about Whidbey. Am hoping if and when it IS done that the time period goes back to the 1970s and not current. NC

About 2 miles from me. All Civvy now
    Be yourself by yourself, stay away from me

Pantera

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSHQ View Post
    About 2 miles from me. All Civvy now
    Yep, I know. And I won't be going back for a visit. My memories will remain of Cecil Field as it was, a Master Jet Base. NC

All Hoovers have been switched to a modified Iris S-3B , no more folded wings . More squadron paints too . After adding ships to Mayport , time to revisit North Island and then Whidbey touch up ! Never done !

I remember how I felt walking into that building (the S-3A hangar building) 39 years ago...nervous. Ensign Jenkins reporting for duty - Sir! Fresh out of training at VS-41. (Man, why didn't I pick San Diego...if I had only known!) Had some fine times there. Met some fine folks, people that would become Admirals and a fine friend that would be forced to fly his airliner into the World Trade Center. And just some regular extraordinary people. That scenery brings back some memories. Thanks a lot to the creators of this scenery, I'm looking forward to flying at Navy Cecil Field again.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    I remember how I felt walking into that building (the S-3A hangar building) 39 years ago...nervous. Ensign Jenkins reporting for duty - Sir! Fresh out of training at VS-41. (Man, why didn't I pick San Diego...if I had only known!) Had some fine times there. Met some fine folks, people that would become Admirals and a fine friend that would be forced to fly his airliner into the World Trade Center. And just some regular extraordinary people. That scenery brings back some memories. Thanks a lot to the creators of this scenery, I'm looking forward to flying at Navy Cecil Field again.

I did not know, or had forgotten (if you already told me) that you knew one of those pilots. So awful. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I did not know, or had forgotten (if you already told me) that you knew one of those pilots. So awful. NC
    Chief - The thing that I find really unusual about it is my good friend, Victor "Vic" Saracini, at that time was a Naval Flight Officer, not a Navy Pilot. He got his commercial rating and joined the airlines after completing his active duty tour as an NFO! Awfully sad for so many people. We remember!
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post

One of the pilots who gave me a ride in Phantoms (while I was at Pax River) was then Lt. Smith. Many years later, Lt. Smith became Capt. Smith, and was a pilot on the ill-fated Space Shuttle Challenger.........NC

This is looking nice! Back in June I have started some photoreal background, autogen and AFCAD work for Cecil after a chat with Richard (tgycgijoes). It was going to be on my to do list but Woogey and Scott will do it good justice. I'll just store this for now:

If they feel they can use what I've done I will gladly share it with them.

Damn, that really looks outstanding. I hope they will integrate it.

I did something similar for NAS Norfolk, to fit the MAIW scenery that was just released, but it isn't this good. Wow.

I now Woogey is really wanting a photoreal background . He's on vacation with family for a week , but I'll let him know to look you up . I'm the AI traffic half of our projects . Thanks for the kind words . Hope it turns out as good as it looks like it will . In the same area , we're adding some ship traffic from Mayport also .

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    This is looking nice! Back in June I have started some photoreal background, autogen and AFCAD work for Cecil after a chat with Richard (tgycgijoes). It was going to be on my to do list but Woogey and Scott will do it good justice. I'll just store this for now:

If they feel they can use what I've done I will gladly share it with them.

One of the pilots who gave me a ride in Phantoms (while I was at Pax River) was then Lt. Smith. Many years later, Lt. Smith became Capt. Smith, and was a pilot on the ill-fated Space Shuttle Challenger.........NC
    Wow, you definitely have a unique connection there Pete. Good memories and sad ones too.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Chief - Given the many, many, very many things that can go wrong in the course of a space flight, I'm surprised that there weren't more disastrous events. Brave souls one and all!

Thanks for bringing this scenery to our attention. I'm really looking forward to it and want to thank all involved in this project. Cheers!
    Jay

This has been quite a interesting couple of weeks. When I was initially contacted about this project being taken on, I was quite excited, and still am!

I am busy in the background of things, contacting places like the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC), and the Special Media Division of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

In short order, BOTH of these repositories have emailed me, offering their assistance. I did NOT expect such a quick response, but everything seems to be coming together all at once. It really amazes me

Along with all this that is happening, I have been going back and forth to the Navy Hospital and the Veteran's Clinic (right next to the NAVHOSP) for MRIs, Xrays, etc... It is a bit of a drive to both facilities, but the care I am receiving is outstanding, and the main reason we moved here two years ago.

So.....with all the medical stuff going on, the flight simulation is a welcome diversion. And ESPECIALLY since it involves a project I have wanted to see developed for many years.

Thanks go to Corvette99 and Woogey for all the hard work they are putting into this project. Your talents are both amazing and much appreciated! And Dimus, thank you for your contributions as well!!! NC

http://

Members who have read this thread: 1