System failures question

Thread: System failures question

System failures question

I have recently found kEvent tags in the CFS3 exe that deal with system failures, like engine, hydraulics, etc. These aren't available by default, but I have found ways to enable other events that I've found in the exe and I am trying to see if they work with the system failures. I don't know if they work or not because I don't know how they work in the FS series. Is it a random chance of failure at some point after the key is pressed, or an instant one, or something else? Thanks for any help!

Dan

Here's a list of failures that may be introduced by gauges running in the background:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...aftFailuresIDs

Other, more specific failures have to be triggered from the "failures" menu in FSX, be it manually or after a random time.

Those are what I found, what is supposed to happen when they are triggered?

CFS3 didn't come with the ability to add gauges in the background, so I am hoping to be able to trigger them with a key press. On a related note, what files are related to the FS background gauge system? Are there dlls, xmls, etc involved. I wonder if CFS3 would pick up on them if they were dropped in?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Those are what I found, what is supposed to happen when they are triggered?
    A triggered failure will, well...trigger the failure of the corresponding system.

CFS3 didn't come with the ability to add gauges in the background, so I am hoping to be able to trigger them with a key press. On a related note, what files are related to the FS background gauge system? Are there dlls, xmls, etc involved. I wonder if CFS3 would pick up on them if they were dropped in?
    I don't know. CFS3 is not my sim anymore (and never really has been).

Maybe ask those guys who are in the loop?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ral-Discussion

What I mean is, how will that play out? Is there a random time delay after the event is triggered until the system actually fails? Is it instant? Does it merely enable the chance that it will fail at some point during the flight?

In all this I just want to know what the FS behavior is so I know what to look for in CFS3. I post a lot in the CFS3 forum and was the one who discovered the tags in the exe, so it's all new stuff for us and we're trying to figure out how deep the new rabbit hole goes. A lot of FS features were dropped with CFS3, but a lot were simply buried we're finding, so we're trying to figure out what it takes to resurrect them.

The default failures will make a system stop working after a specific or random time.

CFS3 is more in line with FS2002 and FS9. As far as I remember, these sims did not feature random failures.

Does CFS3 feature events* to interact with systems and gauges as in MSFS?
    If so, you can try to define the failure variables from the .exe as events, trigger them with invisible gauges and see if they work.

*Similar to this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526980.aspx

So it sounds like in FSX random failures are turned on in a menu which earlier sims lacked, but failure events could be triggered in FS9 using the invisible gauges?

Unfortunately the FS gauge system was left out of CFS3, but since I keep finding artifacts from FS in CFS3 - some of which still work - I am wondering if it would be possible to bring back the invisible gauge system if the right files were present. What files in FS control this? I know there are specific files for each gauge you make, but are there other files like dlls or xmls that come with the sim that make the gauges work? Or is it all tried up in the exe? For an invisible gauge to work on an aircraft, how does it get added to the aircraft? Is there something in the model, aircraft.cfg or .air file that needs to call on the gauge files?

The failure system is controlled from sim core .dll files, but which one, I don't know.

If CFS3 can't handle MSFS' panel config and gauge xml files, there's no way to transplant failure scripts. You'll have to find a CFS-native solution to this.

Looking at the related thread in the CFS3 forum, it seems that the other participants in the discussion are very much on top of this. They should cross check the unburied EventID list with the one from FS2004 or FSX. Most of the events correspond to the ones in FS8/9/X
    FSX/ESP's list is here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526980.aspx

Assign the event for engine 1 failure to a key and see if your engine quits when pressing it. If yes, use whatever scripting capability CFS has to write a script that makes the engine quit by random chance when hit.

Yes, we're aware of the events list, some of those work, but most do not. I have tested the failure events, and nothing happens when the key is pressed, so from your explanation I gather that if the result is not instant then it isn't working and that random failures have to be built in by a gauge.

CFS3 has no scripting capability at present, but if the correct dlls from FS were present maybe the exe would recognize them and the panel CFGs and gauge xmls would work.

If you think that the presence of MSFS' dll files will magically enable failures in CFS3, just try it. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

I am planning on it, but since I first have to buy a copy to be able to, I wanted to make sure there were other files besides the exe involved, as obviously just swapping exes wouldn't do much good.

If you have to buy a copy only to test for a slim chance of two different programs interacting without a hitch, you might want save your money. Repeating myself yet again: Chances are slim, if any.

Yeah it's slim no doubt. 10 bucks is a burger or a way to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0