An Observation

Thread: An Observation

An Observation

I used to frequent Flightsim.com quite a bit getting started. I liked their format and I could always find some interesting winged marvel to try out after just a brief look around. I just came from there for the first time in quite a while, things have changed. The first 32 pages of "New (all Sims)" uploads is dominated by AI Aircraft as well as X-Plane Scenery. I saw a few actual flyable aircraft, but few and far between. Not a complaint, just an observation as I mentioned.

I can certainly get specific if I want and zero in on a particular type and find something interesting, but if you just want to see everything that's new lately, you'll have to dig a lot deeper than normal to find it. As an aside, I don't do Commercial AI traffic, don't fly Commercial jets and actually have the big stuff turned off in the sim . . . .strictly GA.

Back to scenery!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thats why SOH is my number one choice and basically the only place I go in the website world for FSX these days. Caters for the aircraft types I am really interested in and some of the best community developers and designers are here as well.

Not sure why Flightsim.com pushes X-plane so hard but they seem to - just an observation.

SOH-CM-2023
    If one is after new aircraft, I find it best to go to the library, then move over to Base Models, or complete aircraft, this cuts out all the AI stuff. One can also refine by FS type.
    Keith

X Plane seems to have increased in popularity over the past few years, or at least it's being catered for more. I've bought and subscribed to PC Pilot magazine since 2009, and over the past few years they have done many more X-Plane reviews and tutorials and included more X_Plane freeware on their cover disc. I know a few people who use X Plane and FSX. It's all good to me. There are now so many sims to choose from, let alone add ons for them all, so there is no lack of choice for the end user. It can seem like too much maybe, but it's much better than the alternative.

Cheers,

When I first started Flight simulation about 12 years ago in FS9 (FS2004) it was heavily orientated towards military aircraft ,
    today it's gone over to Airliners .

Originally it took about 30 manhours for developers to produce an aircraft for FS9 , then FSX came along and introduced
    extended visual capabilities , I have seen reports that it takes about 300+ manhours to produce an aircraft for FSX .
    I gather that quite a few developers gave up producing aircraft due to time and complexity involved , so the momentum
    swung over to Commercial developers and concerns .

Another aspect is our expectations these days , we are getting too demanding .
    Some will remember a thread here at this forum about the release if the beautiful F-15E by Milviz , what amazed me was the
    relentless nit picking about whether it had an arm rest or not .
    For heavens sake , we had a beautiful aircraft and people were trashing it on a minor eye candy issue ! ! !
    Similarly with the F-111 there were complaints that the rivets were not bump mapped , now most know that modern high speed
    aircraft use flush rivets to lessen drag , so often it is about trying to attack a product for some bizzar reason .
    You can well imagine how off putting that is to a developer who has put his heart and soul into a project .
    I little appreciation goes a long way .

I think that we are very fortunate to have a forum such as SOH , it is lively and vibrant , and hosts a lot of wonderful
    conversations and discussions on our interests in aviation , the members here seem to be ever so helpful to each other ,
    and often provide links to some nice discoveries .

Cheers
    Karol

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I agree 100%.

everytime something new comes out it is accompanied by endless critism of the smallest details. How disheartening for someone who put his labor of love into something only to have it trashed.

the is no need to show everyone how astute you are by pointing out a wrong rivet.

if you're going to complain, send it to tech support. If it is something really important, point it out in a courteous way.

just my two cents.

Too true Karol.

The developments coming out now are absolutely incredible. I've never tried, but I reckon it would take me about 3,000 hours to make something that flew and looked decent.

We have so much choice in every aspect of flight simulations, and must be thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    I agree 100%.
    Every time something new comes out it is accompanied by endless criticism of the smallest details. How disheartening for someone who put his labor of love into something only to have it trashed.
    There is no need to show everyone how astute you are by pointing out a wrong rivet.
    if you're going to complain, send it to tech support. If it is something really important, point it out in a courteous way.
    just my two cents.
    Exactly, and we've had our share of those over the years but thankfully they are long gone.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Regarding Flightsim.com, when the AI guys release their quarterly timetable updates it can easily be a couple hundred files. When they only listed the last 300 files you had to wait a few days for them to filter out. Now the last 30 days are listed so if you have the patience you will get to some good stuff eventually.

Have to agree with Karol about the criticism aspect. Used to be when something new was released the rush was to be the first to post a screen shot or post that you couldn't wait until payday. Since FSX came out with the barrier to developers seemingly dropped and expectations raised accordingly it has been to see who can be first to find a fault and that comment is echoed by folks who haven't bought it yet as they suggest waiting until next year when some other developer will maybe release their own version.

Your comments about the good here at SOH are true for sure. This is really the only place I frequent and contribute to both financially and in participation but it can be just as negative as any other forum. It's the nature of the beast.

Back in the day when I first joined SOH (I'm sure it was well before my join date of '05) there were a lot of negative comments and disagreements. It was a bummer to come here and see all the crap being thrown around. But as time went on many of the folks who frequent this site, as well as the mods started to speak out against the complainers and most of the doomsayers moved on. Once that happened, I made SOH my home AV site. After emails, SOH is always my next stop. I still use Flightsim.com but only when I'm searching for a particular skin, scenery or model.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Back in the day when I first joined SOH (I'm sure it was well before my join date of '05) there were a lot of negative comments and disagreements. It was a bummer to come here and see all the crap being thrown around. But as time went on many of the folks who frequent this site, as well as the mods started to speak out against the complainers and most of the doomsayers moved on. Once that happened, I made SOH my home AV site. After emails, SOH is always my next stop. I still use Flightsim.com but only when I'm searching for a particular skin, scenery or model.
    Speaking from experience.....the quality/maturing of a community can be measured by how softly the Admins speak....and how big their stick is...

3 cheers for big sticks [and knowing which is the pointy end]...

Members who have read this thread: 0