Lancaster Glass?

Thread: Lancaster Glass?

Lancaster Glass?

OK, here's a weird one that's just cropped up: All my ETO Lancasters seem devoid of their cockpit and forward turret glass, except for the Dambuster Lanc (which is fine). Has this always been the case and I just never noticed it or has something gone corrupt on me?

Yes, it does not appear to have that glass as part of the M3D model. Only the nose, tail and navigators domes have glass modeled. It is included in the cockpit model, but not the external view.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

NachtPiloten??

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon9 WT......

Really? Wow it has been what 10 years since those came out and now someone finds/comments on this?????? Well since I am not really doing much modeling these days (still have to get off my backside and finish the P61), not sure I have the motivation to fix this. Wish I did but since all the recent developments have made CFS3 pretty during the day time and the night appearance and capabilities seem to have been largely ignored really no motivation, sorry. Those that remember me recall I am more about the night operations and the technology and skill needed to do what those brave folks did 70+ years ago. If we could get really good searchlights, radio navigation, radar etc (really light the lighted gauges in the Komet though) I would be in this in a flash, (that is why the IL2 folks still have a strong following given the capacity of their game to model these - shame on you Microsoft!!!).

Well I now feel better getting that off my chest.

Pauke Pauke

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Really enjoy your work, NachtPiloten. TOW is a great feature for CFS3 thanks to you. Excited about the new P-61. Play Il-2 '46 (some heavily modded) and enjoy them also. CFS3 is my go to combat flight sim with 9 installs. For WW II nothing beats both sims.

Yeah, I would really like to see good nav aids and radar implemented, but night time stuff hasn't been ignored in all the new developments with the graphics.
    -self lit gauges and/or gauge markings and indicator lights
    -gunsight reticles that are properly lit and move appropriately with your head motion, and this includes the schrage musik sights.
    -The actual cockpit light can be made a directional light or any color and intensity which looks much better than stock.
    -Searchlights that are actually lit are a reality, WOFF has them, we just need to build our own model.
    -The lighting from the moon, and terrain brightness issues have been fixed, I think the night time lighting is now better than in any other sim in fact.
    -effects can be sorted into self lit textures for fires and lights etc, and ambient lit textures which eliminates the glowing smoke etc.

All these are new capabilities that weren't there before, we just have to implement them aircraft by aircraft. I am working on a project for a new expansion that will do all of it, since most aren't up to modifying everything themselves. More on that later.

Can the WOFF lights be ported over if one has WOFF?

Also as I seldom look at the Lanc closely from outside, maybe that's why it was missed by me at least!

Yes they can, but the WOFF lights do not reach very high, we really need our own. The construction of the WOFF lights is similar to ours. I think the ideal shape of the beam is a round cone, but for the light to work with the shaders it must be textured and not just untextured semi transparent material. The beam texture is added to a list in one of Ankor's files and it will work, being self lit and it will also light up aircraft that it hits.

I recall mentioning the Lancaster glass some years ago, but I think the reason it wasn't added was that glass often had odd lighting at night. If you are using Ankor's shaders this is no longer an issue. I will post some screenshots when I get home.

Searchlights

Our search lights are cones that are textured. I have made several and we use guns to fire the lights at targets. So if the WOFF design parameters (textures and other effects) are made available send them to me. The real issue I have with the night operations are the absence of radar and navigation. Without those the game is seriously limited. The lighted panel instruments and reticle are nice, but searching and finding targets is the real challenge that is poorly represented at this point.

Radar: I assume you mean long range radar from ground stations? I have used boats and IIRC an invisible ac before, It was a while back so I would have to dig into my thought processes of then. I imagine one can use vehicles which act as ac to get a limited range radar. What we need is to increase the range.

What do you mean by navigation?
    Last edited by mongoose; September 17th, 2016 at 13:30.

Possibly flight directing comms from ground controllers and radio navigation like the Wotan target guidance.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

And of course actual air to air and air to ground radar. The current TAC doesn't give relative height information, which is a major setback. It also isn't a realistic representation on how most radar sets presented their information to the operator. If Ankor was around I wonder if some sort of synthetic vision type of window would be possible that only showed aircraft blips, etc.

For nav aids I'vethought of using the TAC and large facilities consisting of long lines of invisible ship or vehicles radiating out from the center the way the directional beams did.

I know Ted was looking into radio beacons for NJ?? Spawns??

Icon4 Radio direction

Each radio beacon had its own signal. So to get a radio path to the beacon set up a series of spawns from airfields to the beacon, If the plane travels to the beacon it gets a signal. Also the Germans used lighted paths (light highways) as well due to radio jamming. They were a lighted path that was visible from altitude that the pilots would follow to the beacons. Also each beacon had its own light signal. That is the beacon projected a light into the sky that was a pattern made up of one to several lights. Also the radio beacons had single lights too of different colors.

I set up a ground map once with about 40 radio beacons (with lights) and light paths. It was fun. Also, James and I had set up searchlights and AA batteries around locations - cities and we started on the Himmelbett. It seems ok, except for the radar (no altitude) cramped interceptions. James - I think I still have one or two of the gsl files you made....

We could really model the night war from 1939 until early 1942 since AI was not around. We have the planes and much of the other stuff. I would be game if we could set up a team to do this. Shooting down Wellingtons Hampdens, and Whitneys could be fun with Bf110 D/E, Do 17, Ju 88 C2, maybe a Do 215. We have Hurricanes, Beaufighters, and ?

Have most of all of this on some hard drive.

Let me know.

Ted

I pretty much added all the radar Himmelbett and flak to the 1943 era and sent the files to the ftp we were using. Once high school tennis (early Oct) and redoing my whole deck is done (end Oct) I could get back to it. We have plenty of detailed proposals lying around! I know most of what I was involved with was from summer '43 on when Bomber Harris started the Rhur campaign onwards.
    In any case radio/light beacons have not been added in any era AFAIK. Did you ever do any spawns Ted?

Ideas

James - If you're up to it what about 1939 to December 1941. We could do I think a really good job of reproducing what we need and still avoid for the most part the absence of AI. Are you in when the fall season ends?

Ted

See my pm to you and Daniel.

Unless you have info I don't, I think that was a period when both sides were operating in the dark!

Icon23 Hmmmm

Aders' book on page 43 shows a map 31 December '41 of Dunkel, Hellen, and combo zones. So it appears that there were these lighted zones in operation from Denmark to Holland. Actually on page 35 it states that in September '41 that the line became fully operational. He also states that Lichtenstein B/C was tested in the summer of '41, and the first use of AI with success was 30 Sept 1941 when Becker shot down a plane in his Do 215 B-5. So I think while the full line was not ready until Sept, various pieces were put into place well before that date.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I am willing to help as i can once I recover and return home to my Hobbit Hole, in a month I should be Home and then back to my Mission work for all.
    The TOW night war expansion being worked on by several will cover a part of the night war, and I eagerly await the P-61 for this also..
    Thanks Ted, and to All or Masters for their efforts in our beloved CFS3 sims..

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    Aders' book on page 43 shows a map 31 December '41 of Dunkel, Hellen, and combo zones. So it appears that there were these lighted zones in operation from Denmark to Holland. Actually on page 35 it states that in September '41 that the line became fully operational. He also states that Lichtenstein B/C was tested in the summer of '41, and the first use of AI with success was 30 Sept 1941 when Becker shot down a plane in his Do 215 B-5. So I think while the full line was not ready until Sept, various pieces were put into place well before that date.

OK I'll have a look later as it would just mean taking stuff from the '43 gsl and sticking them in the earlier one.

This might be helpful if you haven't seen it: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nce-for-France

All Luftwaffe airfields, with some basic info about each, and it also includes decoy fields that were lit at night.

Yeah I book marked that. Great find Daniel.

Members who have read this thread: 0