W10 - this sucks

Thread: W10 - this sucks

W10 - this sucks

SO anyway I relented and just before the deadline I installed W10. Just as I was getting sort of used to it, my Motherboard imploded and died. Damn and blast I had planned on a major upgrade in the New Year but could not afford it right now. So I bought a replacement Gigabyte UD3H Black as NCIX had a sale and it was quite close in specs to my old Asus Hero VII (never did get on with the Asus anyway). Installing it went fine and dandy and all was recognized by the PC seemingly OK and booting into W10 just great. Then by chance I noticed the lines at the bottom of the Computer Properties page. "Windows has not been activated"!!!
    Oh well simple enough I thought just click on the link. But Oh no, that was not possible it was requesting licence numbers of which I did not have and the old W7 and W8.1 disks which I do have do not work. Plus it has gone beyond time whereby it is possible to unistall W10 and return to the older OS.
    Repair does not work either. OK reinstall from scratch I thought that is probably a good idea. Installed my W8.1 disk. All fine until activate - this is licenced to another PC!!! Same darned PC of course. Ring MS repeatedly - no reply.
    OK back to W7 - that did install but not with my serial number ohhhh no, but it did on my wifes PC's serial and she had gone from 7 to 10 about 1 year ago.
    What a palaver 2 wasted days getting up and running and still a ton of stuff to reinstall yet.
    So if anyone is contemplating a major upgrade of hardware and you have the free W10 - enter that decision with trepidation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XP_Cats.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	43043

Every thing else can just leave.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I had a go around with Windows 10 also, installed Win 10 on my Laptop and installed it on my Dad's computer hard drive failed, no problems.. Installed it on my FS computer after replacing 2 hard drives and found that Windows 10 pre anniversary update had an issue with my USB ports turning off and on, not a big deal. Installed the Anniversary update hoping it would correct the USB problems, but started having problems with my hard drives shutting off. Found that it was a driver issue in WIN 10 and the way it handles AMD motherboards, removed the anniversary update and reverted back but started getting random crashes. Wiped the drive, reinstalled Win 7 and now everything is okay!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

The saga that keeps giving

Trying to d/l updated IE (a fresh W7 gives me IE8) MS will not recognise IE8. I have to d/l Chrome to access MS to D/L IE11. Does MS hate itself or what?

Sorry to hear about your bother with W10, guys. My own experience has been happy and I'm enjoying the new OS while it boots quickly and runs smoothly but I'm sure in time it'll bog down like previous much-updated OSs did.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members +
    I've also had a very good experience a year ago when I updated my Windows 7 Laptop (about 4 years old), without any hassles at all. I just had to manually update my video drivers.

No issues at all, & things seem to load a bit quicker as well. My otherr Windows 8.1 laptop, an entry level Celeron 2GB RAM also went well.

SOH-CM-2023
    I'm with Allen. It ain't broke so I don't need to fix it.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Trying to d/l updated IE (a fresh W7 gives me IE8) MS will not recognise IE8. I have to d/l Chrome to access MS to D/L IE11. Does MS hate itself or what?
    It figures...
    Windows Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) is a web browser developed by Microsoft in the Internet Explorer browser series, released on March 19, 2009. It is the successor to Internet Explorer 7, released in 2006, and is the default browser for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems.[3]

&
    Internet Explorer[a] (formerly Microsoft Internet Explorer[b] and Windows Internet Explorer,[c] commonly abbreviated IE or MSIE) is a discontinued series of graphical web browsers developed by Microsoft and included as part of the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems, starting in 1995.

&
    Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) is the last version of the Internet Explorer web browser by Microsoft. It was officially released on 17 October 2013 for Windows 8.1 and on 7 November 2013 for Windows 7. The browser was also shipped with Windows 10 on its release on 29 July 2015, but Microsoft Edge is the default browser in this version of Windows.

Trying to understand Microsoft is like trying to thread a needle blindfolded, in the dark, behind your back, wearing gloves!!

Some months ago while visiting my father-in-law he casually told me that windows 10 was installing. Turns out the W10 auto-install crap was just waiting to pounce on his PC and that day it did just that and he assumed it was just another update or something. He turned on the PC and away it went, unbidden and unexpected. So he just let it go and did his best to adapt to a new interface but recently he said he got fed up with endless quirks and problems and had one of his kids put W7 back in and has been satisfied since. Over here I'm just fuming because apparently W10 wasn't quite made to work with most printers out there or vice-versa so since the wife's LT has W10 we have to shop for a new printer that works with both OS's. This is where an emoticon with a purple face, steam coming out it's ears and an errupting volcano toupee would be appropriate. But this works too.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kid.jpg  
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    I'm with Allen. It ain't broke so I don't need to fix it.
    MS should have rode XP tell 2010. Than they should have given us Win 7 but better backwards compat like 16bit support.

Actually, ending support for 5.25" floppy disks was the beginning of The End. Why won't W10 run my FS3 in a DOS box? Bah humbug.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Actually, ending support for 5.25" floppy disks was the beginning of The End. Why won't W10 run my FS3 in a DOS box? Bah humbug.
    har har har!!

I'd back date that to the wonderfully HUGE 8" floppy disk, such as that used in the DEC PDP-11 console desktop computer. Those were the days! <sigh>
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I'd back date that to the wonderfully HUGE 8" floppy disk, such as that used in the DEC PDP-11 console desktop computer. Those were the days! <sigh>
    256KB or 512KB? They don't write programs like that any more!</sigh>
    Tom

The 5.25 was before my time. For me it was the 3.5 but I'm over that with the USB flash drive. Win10 it is simple. Win 7 8 9 and sheet out Win10

Friends of the Free Flight Site:

Want to keep running WindowXP pro, they have them
    Mine looked brand new out of the box w/a 1 TB hardrive
    All preloaded and ready to go......."Big YES" from No Dice

So long as I can Find Them..Plus something about you will
    have to pry my fingers off of this XP keyboard...................

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Links.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

microsoft Busted my windows on the last update now when ever i right click on a folder in explorer it crashes out and if its been running for a long time i have to reboot the pc to run Some programs... Thank you Microsoft! braking somthing that was working perfect!......
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Members who have read this thread: 0