FSX-ACC default water textures

Thread: FSX-ACC default water textures

FSX-ACC default water textures

I need some help,guys.
    my water is looking not very good,i must have played too much with REX3+4.
    Sometimes i must have forgotten to make backups.
    Where can i find all water relevant files to get the default water textures back?
    I use REX Ess OD,REX 4TD and Steve`s Fixer.
    Mike

Other than a repair installation or a complete reinstall, the only source for default water textures that I know of is Tom Knudsen's resized default textures (shrunk by 50% to enhance performance back in FSX' early days). Available on Avsim or Flightsim.

Thanks Bjoern.
    I never do a repair again,that only works with a fresh install.
    I will loose all my Addons.
    Mike

Mike..

I've a backup of the default FSX/ACC installation so if anyone knows exactly which textures are the full default set, let me know and I'll zip em up for you. Alternatively.. I guess I could download that replacement set Bjoern posted.. check the names and get a set to you that way.
    ATB
    DaveB

That woud be great,Dave!
    I would like to have the original set,not sure about the replacements.
    I don`t know,what is needed,i think the Textures,effects and maybe the "waterconstants.xml".
    But i don`t know exactly.
    Mike

isn't there a 'Restore Defaults' setting in Rex GUI?...look in the 'Help' tab maybe - that's where it is in Essentials +

I'm sure I made a backup when I first installed RexE+ O/D but I can't find it for the life of me. That said.. the defaults can be restored from the Rex GUI but.. you need to have backed them up. Seems an odd way to do things

Mike.. I've looked at the fix Bjoern listed and its for ocean textures only. I can copy the default versions of those for you as a start. Wish the naming convention made them more obvious!!
    ATB
    DaveB

I must have forgotten at some time to backup the default textures,that`s the problem now.
    Thanks Dave,but i will wait a bit,perhaps someone has another idea.
    When i do something wrong with the replacements or other files---game over.
    The worst thing i need,is to reinstall FSX again,which has a size of 507GB!
    Yes i know----backups,backups..........
    Mike

Sorry Big Mike, I don't know if I can help much, but have you tried the various restore options in REX? If the current textures/colours aren't
    to your liking and you don't want to keep them anyway, then no harm trying to restore to something else or the original textures/colours REX
    loaded with, and seeing if that's better.

in REX4, on the settings page (click on the little gear wheel symbol in the upper right hand corner of the REX4 load screen) at the bottom,
    there's a click button for "Restore textures to what they were before REX was installed". I don't know if this means "before REX4 was installed",
    but have you tried that?

In REX Essential Plus, with or without Overdrive, you could change textures, but as I recall you would then save as a new theme with its own
    name. The original default texture theme REX Essentials Plus loaded with would still be there under its name. So I think you could always go
    back to the REX originals. And in any case, you can choose to allow your chosen textures in REX4 to overwrite those in REX Essential Plus.

Just as a matter of interest, what is wrong with your water textures or animations? Maybe someone here could suggest some better REX settings.

Personally, I would never want to go back to the original default FSX water textures and animations. I haven't looked at then for a long time,
    but as I recall, the originals looked like I was flying over a big dirty shag rug.

Thanks - Rob

Rob, i can only say it again----i have forgotten to backup the default textures when adding a new set.
    And when you install new sets over another set,before restoring to the default textures,you will get at some time crap.
    The bottom of the water is something like outwashed or blurry,i cannot describe it.It simply looks awful.
    Now i have deleted REX3 and REX4 and will wait a bit for some other ideas(i hope).
    Mike

Mike..

If and when you manage to find out exactly which files you need.. here's a backup of the entire default FSX main texture folder.. TextureBU

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Mike..

If and when you manage to find out exactly which files you need.. here's a backup of the entire default FSX main texture folder.. TextureBU

ATB
    DaveB

Thank you very much,Dave.
    Your help is much appreciated and i will move your textures to an external HDD.
    I just fired up FSX after removing REX3+4 and it seems that deleting REX has restored the default textures in a a better way.
    I will investigate tomorrow a bit more,but for the moment i will let is as it is.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

Excellent Mike! Glad it's moving in the right direction for you

ATB
    DaveB

Update----i need the default water textures.
    Reinstalling REX 4 hasn`t helped.
    Any ideas,how i can get the default FSX-ACC water back?
    Mike

Mike..

The link Bjoern gave cover ocean textures only and updates 3 files. The 3 files are OceanHeight20FieldLow_O.bmp.. OceanHeightField.bmp and OceanHeight20FieldLow.bmp. In the texture folder I uploaded for you, you'll find .dds versions of these (the originals) so try digging those 3 out and dropping them into your main texture folder.
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Bjoern and Dave.
    I contacted Tim from REX and he sent me 180 textures from Scenery\World\Texture.
    Thank God,the water looks great now again.
    I appreciate your help.
    Mike

No problem Mike. I guess if anyone would know the complete list of water textures, it'd be someone who makes software to overwrite them all!!

ATB
    DaveB

Only as an info,if you want to backup your original textures.
    Scenery\World\Texture
    327b2su1.bmp-355b2su7.bmp
    Mike

That's worth knowing Mike.. thanks for posting

ATB
    DaveB

My pleasure,Dave.
    Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0